snow survey

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gingerpie

snow survey

Post by gingerpie » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:35 pm

Who used to like snow but now hates it with a passion that knows no bounds?

I'll go first: me

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:52 pm

Noooooooooo don't be a hater ! LOL are you getting some today...I am but some how it was -12 when I got up and tomorrow it might hit 40 so if that is what the snow is bringing with it then I WILL LOVE THE SNOW 😠Also I would like to say that I have done all snow shoveling and snowblowing and roof cleaning because my husband has been "conveniently " at work.
Kindness is the only way.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:06 am

I don't live where it snows, so I adored snow the few times I've been lucky enough to travel and be in it. Scraping ice off car windows however, much less adoration.

I used to get really cranky when it rained here, and then years ago I read that scene in the way of the peaceful warrior where he freaks out because it rains at the picnic and his friends just laugh. It really spoke to me about the wackiness of spending emotional energy on something as immutable as the weather.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:21 am

Thing is, snow doesn't just mean something that's visual, but otherwise doesn't effect you.

More than a couple of inches of snow can mean up to an hour of shoveling to get out of your driveway.

More than a foot several times before it has a chance to evaporate or melt, and where do you put it? I bet Reinhard (who I think lives in an area that is being very hard-hit) is probably walking his kids to daycare and school in tunnels of snow with hard to see around drifts where cars become a serious danger.

And oh yeah, CARS. Now I'm from the South, but I've lived in New England for about fourteen years now, and driving in the snow is no joke. And if you live up here, there's not a lot of sympathy for not getting into work because of snowdrifts. (Especially if, like me, you work for a hospital)

So, it's a lot more than a cancelled picnic.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

ABooth

Post by ABooth » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:15 am

Snow starts with S, can I make it an S Day? j/k. My kindergartener was off from school all week (after having Pres Day and the Friday before off as well). We baked stuff almost every day but I picked things I don't like that much which made it easier to resist or at least limit. I wish our snow days were more spread out, over a week at a time was too much. I consider myself a homebody but getting out of the house only Sunday morning and Thursday was/is hard. And when I went out Thursday I messed up my car due to the snow, thankfully DH is handy and can fix it.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:13 am

Sorry, yeah, I can see that my post came off as smug - I don't care about rain, how come you care about snow. I didn't mean it that way, I just kind of related my own weather experience without thinking. I do get that actually living in snow (which I've only done for 4 months) is a lot of work, especially if you are somewhere smaller where your roads are not going to get cleared / salted etc by anyone but yourself.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:11 pm

ABooth wrote:Snow starts with S, can I make it an S Day? j/k.
I would say it depends on where you live. If you want to go to with Traditional Eating Patterns as a guide, I will comment that if it snowed enough for us to be out of school, the first day of the weather-related vacation my family made Toll House Cookies. :)
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

sweetaj

Post by sweetaj » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:20 pm

I loved it as a kid, then hated it as an adult. But, now that I have a kid of my own, I love it again! (As long as I don't have to drive in it! Or shovel it. Or get wet socks from not remembering to wear my boots.)
Restarting Feb 16, 2015
2/16 177.6