NoS Horrible Hunger

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Ruthie71

NoS Horrible Hunger

Post by Ruthie71 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:28 pm

I have tried for years to do NoS, only to be de-railed by the "11.00 am Hunger," as I call it. There is a diet called the "Change One" in which dieters gradually reduce calorie intake over a period of 4 weeks, starting with breakfast, then lunch, dinner etc. I liked the idea of this because you are allowed to have a snack of 105 calories, or thereabouts. I don't like the idea of having to still diet on the weekend!
I am getting bigger and in my opinion, look terrible. I have 3 lively children and am constantly stressed. I am at the crossroads of being fat for life if I don't do something soon (I am 43).
My question is- does that awful hunger go after a while? I always go off track after a day because I can't stand the thought of having to feel that five days a week. It's simply another stressor for me. Idealogically, NoS is the one for me, as I love its simplicity.
Or do I do Change One. Has anyone heard of it? I need to do something soon.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:47 pm

The 1st thing I'd try is to eat a bigger breakfast. If that doesn't work maybe play around with what you eat. I know that some meals hold me better than others. Some folks have had good success by adding a protein source to their breakfast.

I've heard some people say they schedule (key word . . . Schedule) 4 smaller meals instead of 3 bigger ones. Do you think that might work for you? You would have to be a bit careful about what you are putting on your plate but otherwise there is no reason not to give it a go if it helps you to form good habits.

I'm thinking that if the 11:00 am issue is the only problem you have, it is pretty fixable. Are you also hungry at other points in the day?

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:01 am

For me, being hungry outside of meal times did reduce as I spent more weeks on No S and my body got used to the new schedule. Remember you've been used to a drip feed of calories and your body will need time to adjust to the change. However, I now consider it normal to feel hungry in the hour or so before a scheduled meal. That's how it is supposed to be - when you arrive at meal time hungry, your meal is welcome and delicious!

If the 11am hunger is ruining the plan for you, there are a few things you can try:
1. Gingerpie has already touched on eating a larger breakfast or changing breakfast foods. Don't fall into the trap of trying to eat smaller or "diet" meals when starting out on No S.
2. Move your meal times (if that works for your schedule), i.e. eat breakfast later or your lunch earlier. I often delay my breakfast for quite some time after I wake, otherwise I'm not hungry for it and also the gap until lunch is too long.
3. Distract yourself with a consuming and incompatible task - for example, I can often "forget" about hunger for an hour or so if I am absorbed in something at work, or swimming with my son, or out walking my dog. Give your schedule some thought - is your hunger coinciding with a time of day when you are bored or at a loose end?
4. Try a hot tea or coffee (with milk and sugar if that's how you take it) when the worst hunger strikes. That might get you over the extra hour until lunch.
5. If 4. doesn't work, try a small glass of milk (I drink full cream). Yes, it may still have the same calories as a snack, but it is getting you out of the habit of eating outside of mealtimes. You can phase it out after a few weeks if you stop needing it.

If none of these work, I know some posters who scheduled a small, contained snack at the specific time of day they found hardest (11am, 4pm). Then, once the other habits were solidly in place, they slowly phased out the additional mini-meal.

Good luck! Hopefully your body and brain will eventually get used to the idea that 3 square meals a day is plenty of food. Hunger is not an emergency, and another good and satisfying meal is only a few hours away :)

ksbrowne

Post by ksbrowne » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:47 pm

I would try adding a small morning snack, but only temporarily. Just to allow your body to gradually adapt to your new eating habits. Something with some protein, like a little cheese on some Triscuits.

As I said, this would only be temporary. Perhaps for a month or two.

Dale

Post by Dale » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:10 am

The suggestions above are great. I used to have a small snack mid-morning and did not feel good if I couldn't have it. I did struggle a little with that on No S at the beginning, but found that it really did help to eat a bigger breakfast (which I later cut down again). After a long time of doing it, I don't really think about it now, and I feel fine missing that snack. My stomach still tends to rumble, though! I don't know how to stop that!

I've found it quite freeing, actually. If I'm in a meeting all morning, I don't have to worry about how I'm going to get through it without food any more! On the other hand, I'll occasionally make an exception - if I've had a very light breakfast and I'm then going to do something very strenuous before lunch, then I'll add in an extra small snack. But during a normal day, it really is fine now. Yes, the hunger goes away.

I haven't tried Change One, but in the end, I think it's just about finding something that suits you, fits with your lifestyle and is sustainable. In dieting, I think that often the easy option is the best - because you can stick with it. If you feel that diet will suit you better, then go for it!

If you do want to do No S, try some of the suggestions (milk is a good one). If nothing works, and you've got a lot to lose, you could probably get away with adding a controlled small snack at 11am, then perhaps try to push it backwards day by day until it becomes part of lunch.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:26 pm

These are all good, but I also suggest not calling it "horrible" hunger. Is it really horrible? Horrible hunger is what people go through when they are consistently undereating or even purposely being tortured. No S is not about undereating. It is just about weaning yourself off overeating.

Try any of the suggestions, but at the same time, try thinking of the hunger as frustrating, irritating, unpleasant, etc. It will make it easier to implement the suggestions.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

lifeisfun

Post by lifeisfun » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:00 am

When I get uncomfortably hungry, I know that it's because I did not eat enough at the previous meal. It usually happens to me in the afternoon if I have a light lunch because of activities or not thinking through my choices. If it is truly bothering me, I like a cup of hot tea (no sweetener).

(Edited out by me, too drastic and not in the spirit of the board.):oops:

HTH -

(I'm not a doctor, please don't take my advice seriously)
Last edited by lifeisfun on Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wife&Mom of Four

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:34 am

All due respect, practicing with an 8-hour fast sounds like a lot to ask for for someone who is having trouble getting from breakfast to lunch!

But Ruthie, I predict that someday you will go much longer than you thought you could and will even enjoy it!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lifeisfun

Post by lifeisfun » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:45 am

Oh no, I wasn't suggesting that, just saying that's how I came to understand my own hunger. :oops: Sorry!
Wife&Mom of Four

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:11 pm

I probably overreacted! You probably stated it as something you did, not a requirement. Now I was being like my students, stepping in to defend someone who probably doesn't need defending!

I'm glad a cup of hot tea will take the edge of your afternoon hunger, lifeisfun. I wish I liked tea. Drinking it is such a sweet habit, it seems to me.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Marianna

Post by Marianna » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:05 pm

I use a certain drink to manage my hunger between meals. At least I used to, I seldom need it anymore.

This is based on the "bulletproof coffee" protocol, but in a much reduced calorie version. I make a cup of tea or hot lowcal lemonade and I add one teaspoon of MCT oil to it. Instant hunger killer and only about 35 calories per cup.

just a thought--