story snacks - a parsley salad recipe

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jackn

story snacks - a parsley salad recipe

Post by jackn » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:08 pm

I enjoyed my lunchtime parsley salad so much that I thought I'd share the recipe and see if it garners any interest.

To me, it is the picture of freshness, it is rich in taste yet not aggressive, and the taste comes from the greens themselves, not added, overwhelming ingredients.
  • 2 bunches of parsley
    1 bunch of green onions
    Olive oil (2t?)
    Lemon juice (1/4 lemon's worth?)
    salt to taste (0.5t?)
  • * Tear off the parsley leaves and the fine stems they're attached to from the main thick stems, collecting in, say, a bowl.
    * Roughly chop them up in batches, adding into a salad bowl.
    * Roughly chop up the green leaves only of the green onions, and add to the salad bowl.
    Should yield a, say, 3-4:1 ratio of parsley to green onion.
    Of course, you can also add the white bulbs, but I keep them for other veg dishes.
    This makes for a pretty big salad, though I could have more.
    * Add the ingredients of the dressing and toss. I noted the quantities I used, but suit yourself. Likewise, didn't use pepper, as I like my food mild, but to each his own.
You might wish to garnish it, or serve it with your cereal or legume or root of choice, which I sometimes do, but I like it with
* (a little less than 200g) einkorn bread slices, spread with butter and topped with thin slices of French hard cheese (comté); and
* 3 sunny-side-up eggs

The ingredients for all of the above came from today's weekly visit to the organic farmers' market, so fresh as fresh can be.

By the way, a Lebanese friend once told me that the well-known Lebanese taboule salad is distorted, or as I'd put it Tex-Mexed, in the west.
While in the west it's plenty of wheat with some token parsley, in Lebanon it's a parsley salad with some wheat for garnish...
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:56 pm

lovely! that's interesting about the traditional recipe having been distorted in the West.

I have a recipe for Tabouli from a raw food recipe book which is the same as yours, plus a little chopped tomato and some mint.

Parsley is SO good!
:D
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:28 pm

Very nice -- thank you!

I love parsley. And it's so ridiculously good for you.

This recipe sounds like a great way to make it more than just a garnish.

I'd also never heard of einkorn bread. Very interesting! I'll keep my eyes open for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einkorn_wheat

Reinhard

jackn

Post by jackn » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:54 am

Thanx for digging up this post, Reinhard.

Some more about einkorn.

I was first attracted to it as it was a relatively wild variety, preceding modern plant hybridization.

But then I met the taste.
I find it very tasty, nothing like the bland, and, to me, stodgy modern whole-wheat bread.

Einkorn always comes as whole wheat. I guess the relatively low gluten allows it.
On top of it, it is made from what they call here in France 'integral flour', made from the whole grain, that is, including whatever is discarded in 'whole' wheat.
Yet, it tastes relatively light, nothing like the brick settling in your belly with modern whole-wheat bread.

Different bakers make really different-tasting einkorn, and, while I like them all, some I find stand out.

One last detail: sometimes, the leavening dough, used to intitiate fermentation and accounting for about 10% of the final make-up, comes from modern wheat. Many bakeries here in France therefore make 'pure einkorn', in which even the the leaven comes from einkorn.
I definitely notice a taste difference between the two, in favour of the latter.

Bon appétit.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

Merry

Post by Merry » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:50 am

I love tabouli (or the tex-mexed version, LOL!) I totally need to make this sometime...
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

jackn

Post by jackn » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:31 am

Hey, Merry, do you do a daily/whatever check-in?
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:06 am

jackn wrote:Hey, Merry, do you do a daily/whatever check-in?
I have a monthly check-in--I didn't know if I'd keep up with a daily one! So, it falls pretty low before I bump it up again, LOL!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

jackn

Re: story snacks - a parsley salad recipe

Post by jackn » Sat May 14, 2016 12:14 pm

jackn wrote:
  • 2 bunches of parsley
    1 bunch of green onions
    Olive oil (2t?)
    Lemon juice (1/4 lemon's worth?)
    salt to taste (0.5t?)
Today, modified the above salad into a herb salad, to make it richer and milder.
Instead of one bunch of parsley, used 1/2 a bunch each of hyssop and lovage.
At my farmers' market, we have one farmer who grows a wide range of herbs, so... embarrassment of riches.

To me, was very tasty.
Of course, any herb you like would work, as long as it's mild enough for you to have as a bulk green, not just as garnish.
The above could be made milder yet by substituting lettuce for a portion, say half, of the above.

Finally, I've recently taken to varying and stretching my cooked veg by making about half-cooked, half-herb salads. The latter herb could be, say, parsley, scallions and mint.
It adds variety, as it's a third, distinct option on top of pure herb or pure cooked veg, and it's a good blend of freshness and the relative satisfying power of a cooked veg.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.