Sugar Coated

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Over43

Sugar Coated

Post by Over43 » Tue May 17, 2016 1:18 pm

I came across the documentary, Sugar Coated, last evening. I watched it. It is interesting. If anyone else is interested here is the web page: http://sugarcoateddoc.com/ .

You can find it on Netflix.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Tue May 17, 2016 10:24 pm

I just went to the website and watched the trailer. Looks very good! I'm the only person in the world without Netflix though. Haha. My mom always said to make your cakes from scratch because you never know what chemicals and stuff are in the mixes. I also had good intentions of making my own bread this year because why in the world does a loaf of bread have a mile long list of ingredients? I am so disheartened lately about the industry that food has become. So sad.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue May 17, 2016 11:31 pm

Haven't looked at it yet. I do use some sugar alcohols now.

MM, I don't have Netflix, either.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

minimizer

Post by minimizer » Wed May 18, 2016 10:55 pm

Looks really good. I'd like to see that documentary.
I have had a love/hate relationship with sugar for decades.
BTW I've never used Netflix at all either.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu May 19, 2016 3:17 am

Minimizer, don't mean to bogart this thread, but I've had two things help me with sugar in the last several months. One was coming across the MIND diet, a diet that's associated with decreased chance of Alzheimer's, which at my age is a real concern, (it recommends no more than 4 servings of sweets a week, but I usually have less than that) and just deciding I was going to use stevia (mostly for beverages) and sugar alcohols for baking occasionally. Maybe some day I'll push to decrease my dependence on that taste of sweet, but it's my "during" strategy for now.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

minimizer

Post by minimizer » Thu May 19, 2016 10:11 pm

Yes, oohlala, the MIND diet is very interesting to me.
I mostly avoid sweets, and have done for almost 25 years.
At times I ban them entirely, and then there are the times
when I start to feel deprived and overindulge.
I like to use some stevia in baking, although DH
says that it leaves a bitter aftertaste. Sugar alcohols
aren't an option for me it seems, because of the effects
on digestion...oh well...
Anyway, No S is really helping me to keep sweets in their
place, and I try to bake a weekend treat at home on most
weekends. I'm thinking of baking a date-nut bread this time--
although I suppose the dried fruits are perhaps considered
the same as sugar.

Broca

Post by Broca » Fri May 27, 2016 10:40 pm

I watched this yesterday. It's very well done. I've been reading a lot about the fructose theory lately and have cut added sugar almost completely out of my diet since early April. I am 10 lbs down, blood pressure is down, headaches gone and so on. I feel healthier than I ever have in my 50 years. My parents went low fat in the 80s and 20 years later my dad had quadruple bypass. He had no risk factors and seemed very healthy! But he drank a lot of juice, replaced ice cream with fat free frozen yogurt etc. He ate a lot of sugar, but it was fat free! He succumbed to Alzheimer's in 2010. I truly believe his sweet tooth was a factor. I have been scared straight! I think everyone should cut the sugar. It can't hurt to try. Your body doesn't need added sugars! It will change your life. Cravings disappeared. My office had two birthday cakes today! It doesn't phase me anymore. I'm so amazed at the changes I've seen, I want to shout from the rooftop, but people are very resistant and don't want to hear it. So I'm not lookong for a debate, just sharing this incredible thing I've experienced. Watch the video.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat May 28, 2016 3:48 am

Broca wrote:He succumbed to Alzheimer's in 2010. I truly believe his sweet tooth was a factor.
Wow. So sorry that happened to your dad. Thanks for sharing this.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

Merry

Post by Merry » Sat May 28, 2016 4:39 am

oolala53 wrote:Minimizer, don't mean to bogart this thread, but I've had two things help me with sugar in the last several months. One was coming across the MIND diet, a diet that's associated with decreased chance of Alzheimer's, which at my age is a real concern, (it recommends no more than 4 servings of sweets a week, but I usually have less than that)
What's a "serving?"
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

Broca

Post by Broca » Sat May 28, 2016 12:07 pm

Sonya, Thank you for your kindness.

I like your signature line: "No Added Sugar. No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S"." That's a perfect description of how I've adapted my No S diet!

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sat May 28, 2016 1:17 pm

I'm going to check out the MIND diet. I've never heard of it before. My grandfather had Alzheimer's and I used to work as a nurse on an Alzheimer's unit. I believe that it is the cruelest disease. I've been a sugar junkie my entire life. This may be the kick in the backside I need to cut out the sugar. I'm guessing that by "no added sugar" you mean anything baked with sugar...cakes, cookies but you can still have fruit and pure fruit juice? Maybe I'll bake my own bread today instead of buying bread that has high fructose corn syrup in it at the store.

Broca

Post by Broca » Sat May 28, 2016 1:34 pm

MaggieMae, I checked out the MIND diet too. It looks pretty good. (Definitely want to avoid Alzheimer's! My mother has dementia as well, so I may be doomed!!) It definitely cuts out sugars and recommends real foods. To me, 'added sugars' is any sugars added to my food that is not naturally occurring. Number one thing I learned is don't drink your sugar. So no juice-eat whole fruits. Whole fruits come with fiber that slows down the absorption of the sugars. I quit sugar in my coffee and stick to water and milk. I eat plain yogurt instead of sweetened. And I generally just check for sugars on packaged foods. It's amazing where you will find sugar! I have recently tried making my own pita bread. It was pretty cool! Try reading a book called "Sweet Poison". It is an easy read about the science and gives good tips too.

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Sun May 29, 2016 9:06 pm

i also have 2 interesting and overlapping lectures, for those who like to hear some dry biochemistry as well as interesting and very well informed research...

and have no netflix, like me... :D

"sugar, the bitter truth"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

"fat chance: fructose 2.0"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceFyF9px20Y

what is said is basically:
- a calorie is NOT a calorie!
explained on the examples of biochemical reactions and processes of the same amounths of calories coming from:
a) glucose (from bread)
b) ethanol (alcohol)
and
c) fructose (orange juice)
(basically, biochemically fructose is not only fattening but also a poison, if not paired with high-fiber content the way it is in fruits when we eat them whole...)

- the cause of leptin (hunger AND activity hormone) resistance is - increased insulin! viscious circle there!

- where does the increased insulin come from in the obesity (actually, not obesity but metabolic syndrome) epidemic we are facing?
only changes in sugar availability over the recent 10 years or so correlate with the rise in diabetes/metabolic syndrome prevalence in the world!! not obesity, not total calories but sugar and sugar alone!

and i agree with him - this is a public health issue! not only for the USA but global public health issue...

we are here doing our best and noS is amazing way to protect oneself with sustainable lifestyle... but the responsability of high availability (and prevalence and agressive marketing) of addictive sweet poisons around us is not our fault and for sure not the fault of our children!

i really dont believe that majority of people with metabolic syndrome issues are gluttons and sloths... i believe they have been cheated out of their health and well being...
i think this is the information worth spreading...
and in the meantime noS is the best way i know of to deal with it on the personal level...
Last edited by kaalii on Tue May 31, 2016 6:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

Broca

Post by Broca » Mon May 30, 2016 12:11 pm

Kali, watching Bitter Truth is what made the lightbulb go on for me. You summarized everything I've learned very well!

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Tue May 31, 2016 12:48 am

Thanks everyone for sharing all of this information! I'm also glad to know that I'm not the only person without Netflix. :lol:

jackn

Post by jackn » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:31 pm

Broca wrote:I have cut added sugar almost completely out of my diet since early April. I am 10 lbs down, blood pressure is down, headaches gone and so on. I feel healthier than I ever have in my 50 years.
Sounds great.
Good for you, Broca.

Keep it up.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

jackn

Post by jackn » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:35 pm

MaggieMae wrote:but you can still have.... pure fruit juice?
Sorry, MaggieMae, 'Natural fruit juice' is Coke dressed up as health food.
Nothing of the sort.
I agree with Broca.

It's just another one of the industry's ploys.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

Broca

Post by Broca » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:48 am

Thanks jackn!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:58 pm

I dunno, the huge increase in the use of extracted vegetable oils is posited to have a big impact as well, no? But that won't come out in books and films on sugar.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Broca

Post by Broca » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:38 pm

I've heard that too, oolala. Sometimes it seems like we're doomed no matter what we do. How did our ancestors ever survive!!?

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:00 am

A lot of them didn't! It was just different things that killed 'em.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Merry

Post by Merry » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:36 am

Finally got around to watching the trailer. Looks to be an interesting documentary; I hope I can watch it this weekend.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

mylizzie

I binge on candy.

Post by mylizzie » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:35 pm

can't seem to stop. I think I have to go cold turkey.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:32 am

That's an option, Lizzie. Humans lived without refined sugar desserts for most of history. I doubt you need to get crazy about added sugars, though. If you keep your intake of manufactured foods down, you'll decrease them, too.

Am I repeating myself to point out that Americans ate about 10 pounds of sugar per year per capita in the early 1700's? That would allow for a decent number of desserts during the holiday season, a few other holidays, and a few birthdays, if you're willing to put up with the residual desire for a bit. I've never sworn off sugar and don't actually intend to officially now, but it's clear to me it is unnecessary in the big picture. But neither are most packaged refined snack foods and most of the refined flour items ubiquitously available. Unfortunately, our lifestyles take us far from home during the day for work, and the culture doesn't make it easy to have access to quality food, IMHO. The MIND diet recommends three servings of WHOLE grains a day. Try finding them anywhere but fairly large cities. I just got back from a trip and saw that I don't think I would have done as well on No S as I have if I had to depend on restaurants or cobbling my own makeshift meals from supermarkets if I had to travel for my work.

But I digress.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23