Seeking advice regarding my first S-days.

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Rosemary

Seeking advice regarding my first S-days.

Post by Rosemary » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:31 pm

I started on Monday, and this is my fourth successful N-day. I feel very motivated, and jubilant that I haven't been snacking in the evenings - formerly my nemesis.

My question: how do I make sure that S-days don't diminish my motivation? I'm a bit worried that indulging in carbs might re-activate my "grazing" tendency.

david

Post by david » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:35 pm

Rosemary,

Congrats on the success so far! S-days, like N-days, will work themselves out. I know that some people on this board like to plan a treat for the weekend--sort of like a reward for the N-days. I do that sometimes but I have found that mostly I just eat whatever I want on S-days and it usually turns out to be pretty tame by my personal historical standards. Also, if you really junk it up on Sunday, you'll probably make yourself so miserable that you can't wait for the N-days. :)

Let us know how it goes.

--david

mstevens

Post by mstevens » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:03 am

I found it all seems to work itself out.

I'm trying the "one S per S day" variation myself in the last week or two, and that seems to help me keep it all to a reasonable level and not get sick whilst still having luxuries.

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:25 am

I tend to be extremely busy at the weekends and eat less than I do during the week, unless I make a special effort to cook a Sunday dinner.

Now I come to think of it, I can only recall one day in the last month that wasn't effectively an N-day...
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:58 pm

S days are supposed to enhance your motivation, by giving you a reward to look forward to.

I find the best way to keep them both reasonably moderate and sufficiently rewarding is to plan something nice in advance. Give yourself the best, the sweets you most desire, and you won't stuff yourself with whatever trash is lying around.

Others here are more formal. They interpret "sometimes" as "once." In other words, every S day they get one sweet, or one multi serving meal. I'd try the informal method first, and if it doesn't seem satisfactory to you after a few weeks then consider becoming stricter. And don't be too discouraged if you first S days are not ideal. It's common to have some excessive S days at first while you are finding your bearings. During the week you're biking with training wheels, you'll wobble a little when you take them off on the weekend. But eventually you'll learn.

Best wishes, and try to enjoy! It's not only pleasanter, but also more effective than worrying.

Reinhard

Rosemary

Post by Rosemary » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:57 pm

Thank you, every one, for the encouragement. I'm enjoying being in the driver's seat after too long as a passive passenger!

Today, Friday, is my fifth and so far successful day on this journey, and my tape-measure tells me I'm half-an-inch less than this time last week; so I think I'll "wear the world like a loose garment," this week-end and start to keep a log.

p.s. I haven't started shovelling, yet, but to get the feel of things I experimented with my swiffer, and succeeded in demolishing my table lamp. Must remember to ask for focus the next time I'm praying for guidance.