a case for genetics?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

joasia

a case for genetics?

Post by joasia » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:58 am

Okay, before I say anything I am not making excuses. And I am NOT saying that diet and exercise won't help you lose weight. BUT......I was looking at family photos the other day and noticed that my Great Grandmother, Grandmother, and Mother, and now myself were all overweight. Couldn't part of it be family genetics? I'm not making excuses, it just seems some days are frustrating when I see my size 2 friend eating a cheeseburger, fries, and coke without batting an eye. Some days are harder than others :x
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:30 pm

Sure it's possible. But it isn't very likely, for most fat people.

The obesity rate in well-fed populations who move and eat meals is about 4%. Ours is over 30%. Same genes. So it seems that the vast majority of fat people today would not be fat if they behaved differently.

If you look at the statistics on food consumption and movement today, it would be a wonder if we weren't fat. We eat so much more, we move so much less. There's no mystery. Most people who eat regularly eat cheeseburgers, fries, and cokes without batting an eye are fat.

If you suspect you may be one of these unlucky 4%, no-s can still help. It's not like there's a gene that will make you whopping fat despite any environmental influences. If you eat moderately, over time, you'll be less fat than if you ate immoderately. That might not be quite as inspiring goal a goal as making the cover of "Shape," but it's still a worthy one.

Focus on behavior, and you might be surprised by the results. Remember the dude in Gataca. If the required behaviors were cruel and unusual, that would be another story. But these No-s behaviors are moderate and pleasant.

Best,

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:09 pm

Dear Milczar (LOL Sp???)

Focus on your own goal and, yes you are sounding like you are kinda making excuses..
It's not easy to change our habits..
Where do we develop those habits most of the time?
From our immediate family..

And, incidentally, if you want to think a little outside the box and more proactively, you might want to consider that genes are a very profound expression of *habit* which can be influenced by a healthy lifestyle, not just written in impermeable stone...

Maybe you will be the one in your family to "break the mold"!
Go for it!!!
And as for looking at your friend and envying her for being able to eat whatever she wants and be stick thin.. You won't ever be happy with yourself, if you keep comparing to others..
There's always gonna be someone out there thinner, stronger, whatever..

Find your own special beauty and love yourself for who you are..
Cultivate your own fan club!!!
God made you this way..
Love yourself as he would!

ps.. You can have burgers and fries on NoS! Just hold off on that crappy soda!!! Heh heh..

Respectfully
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:10 pm

Hmmm....
Must rent Gataca! LOL..

hlidskjalf

Post by hlidskjalf » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:41 pm

One must wonder how much of "genetics" is learned habits.
Burn all, burn everything. Fire is bright and fire is clean.

david

Post by david » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:25 pm

Gene expression can be manipulated via diet as well as other environmental factors. Just because one has a "fat gene" doesn't mean one is destined to be obese. Genes can be turned on/off, masked, etc. by changing behavior.

Also, just because a person is "skinny" and can eat junk food all day doesn't mean that person is healthy. In fact, they probably aren't.

--david

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:55 pm

david wrote:Gene expression can be manipulated via diet as well as other environmental factors. Just because one has a "fat gene" doesn't mean one is destined to be obese. Genes can be turned on/off, masked, etc. by changing behavior.

Also, just because a person is "skinny" and can eat junk food all day doesn't mean that person is healthy. In fact, they probably aren't.

--david
What he said!
8) Debs