6 months experiment accepted!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Post Reply
Poespoemspwnposers
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:33 am

6 months experiment accepted!

Post by Poespoemspwnposers » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:35 pm

I came across the mention of No S on a old Reddit thread. The thread was about habit building.

I checked the website out and instantly clicked with the writing style and purchased the book, simply because I enjoyed the writing style and transparency of the fact that the key points are in the website for free. This along with one specific part is what cemented my will to try this.

"If you're still convinced that you've been doomed by your genes, view this diet as an experiment. If you can stick with it for 6 months and not lose a significant amount of weight, then you can plead genetics with a clear conscience."

I admit I do hold a belief that for whatever reason I am genetically doomed to be fat. This has always been reinforced by every failed diet. I am willing to admit though that the diets failed because I have never created any habits that actually shift my usual way of eating. And I am willing to admit that while I don't think I will ever be thin, I would be very happy with simply less fat.

So! Here we are. I am going to No S it up as close to the letter as I can. I am using my dry erase calendar with the red, green and yellow as a visual I can easily see. I will be walking for exercise to start. I will see in six months if I am a smaller genetically fat person or not. 😂

I am very competitive and really enjoy a challenge/experiment or anything I can view as a quest so this should also be enjoyable, at least that is my mindset going into this.

Thank you for accepting me and I look forward to my time here. ☺️ Happy (I hope anyway) 2021!

Soprano
Posts: 1020
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:56 pm
Location: UK

Re: 6 months experiment accepted!

Post by Soprano » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:04 pm

Welcome, l am sure you will have success.

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

Whosonfirst
Posts: 538
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:32 pm

Re: 6 months experiment accepted!

Post by Whosonfirst » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:05 am

Poespoemspwnposers wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:35 pm
I came across the mention of No S on a old Reddit thread. The thread was about habit building.

I checked the website out and instantly clicked with the writing style and purchased the book, simply because I enjoyed the writing style and transparency of the fact that the key points are in the website for free. This along with one specific part is what cemented my will to try this.

"If you're still convinced that you've been doomed by your genes, view this diet as an experiment. If you can stick with it for 6 months and not lose a significant amount of weight, then you can plead genetics with a clear conscience."

I admit I do hold a belief that for whatever reason I am genetically doomed to be fat. This has always been reinforced by every failed diet. I am willing to admit though that the diets failed because I have never created any habits that actually shift my usual way of eating. And I am willing to admit that while I don't think I will ever be thin, I would be very happy with simply less fat.

So! Here we are. I am going to No S it up as close to the letter as I can. I am using my dry erase calendar with the red, green and yellow as a visual I can easily see. I will be walking for exercise to start. I will see in six months if I am a smaller genetically fat person or not. 😂

I am very competitive and really enjoy a challenge/experiment or anything I can view as a quest so this should also be enjoyable, at least that is my mindset going into this.

Thank you for accepting me and I look forward to my time here. ☺️ Happy (I hope anyway) 2021!
That's a good approach, a six month experiment. Only suggestion I'd make is to keep and post a log for accountability.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

Mustloseweight
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:04 pm
Location: UK

Re: 6 months experiment accepted!

Post by Mustloseweight » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:12 pm

Good luck,

Keep letting us know your progress as that is really inspiring to others.

Anne x
September 2017 - Starting weight: 19st 9lbs
March 2018 - 17st 2lbs
July 2018 - 16st 4lbs
July 2020 - 17st 10lbs 😟
Target Weight: 11 stones

Poespoemspwnposers
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:33 am

Re: 6 months experiment accepted!

Post by Poespoemspwnposers » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:14 pm

Mustloseweight wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:12 pm
Good luck,

Keep letting us know your progress as that is really inspiring to others.

Anne x
Hello! So far I am down 13.5 lbs. :)

ladybird30
Posts: 691
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 10:41 pm

Re: 6 months experiment accepted!

Post by ladybird30 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:26 pm

Welcome & all the best for your 6 month experiment.

As far as genetics goes, you probably already know that most modern health conditions with a genetic component
also need the right (or wrong) environment to trigger those conditions.

When I was a child, back in the 1960s, there was one fat kid in my class. She may have had unlucky genetics, but now
she wouldn't stand out at all. Our genetics haven't changed, but our food & activity environments have. No doubt there are
other factors too.

So you have every prospect of success.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

Poespoemspwnposers
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:33 am

Re: 6 months experiment accepted!

Post by Poespoemspwnposers » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:06 pm

ladybird30 wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:26 pm
Welcome & all the best for your 6 month experiment.

As far as genetics goes, you probably already know that most modern health conditions with a genetic component
also need the right (or wrong) environment to trigger those conditions.

When I was a child, back in the 1960s, there was one fat kid in my class. She may have had unlucky genetics, but now
she wouldn't stand out at all. Our genetics haven't changed, but our food & activity environments have. No doubt there are
other factors too.

So you have every prospect of success.

Our modern food based society is the perfect environment for anyone with a genetic disposition to fatness! I do not disagree with you at all.

Thank you. I'm trying to change the deep seeded belief that I will only ever be fat. I used to cry myself to sleep wondering why I was being punished as a child.

I am still not totally sure long term weight loss is possible but I think in this frame work it could help a lot!

Soprano
Posts: 1020
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:56 pm
Location: UK

Re: 6 months experiment accepted!

Post by Soprano » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:38 am

Congratulations on your loss :)

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

oolala53
Posts: 9862
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:46 am
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Re: 6 months experiment accepted!

Post by oolala53 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:21 pm

Welcome!

Environment makes a huge difference. Thinking of the first example in the book The Hungry Brain, about a man from a South Seas island subsistence culture who moves to the big city and gains 50 lbs. Only problem is it can be very hard to impose subsistence (or alternately, hunter-gatherer) food limits on oneself. Nothing can guarantee healthy thinness, but this is at least a lifestyle that allows for eating pleasure while also creating a bit of restraint. Just to tell you, I lost my biggest drop in the first six months. The next same amount took a lot longer, but i wasn't willing to be more strict, so didn't fuss.

Do you best to make it an experiment of fiercely compliant N days! That's the best way to see if it's got some traction for the future, with possible mods.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 67
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (more flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There was no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

oolala53
Posts: 9862
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:46 am
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Re: 6 months experiment accepted!

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:54 pm

It's been about six months. How has it gone?

BTW, I don't mean to be a killjoy, but the odds of getting to thin from obese are really small in our environment. But getting from unhealthy to healthy is very possible. And thinness just might happen but it's a crushing expectation. It's the cultural hatred of fatness that lies under the despair and is very hard to counteract but what's the alternative? We've got to be able to respect ourselves as is even while we cultivate habits supportive of vitality.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 67
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (more flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There was no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Poespoemspwnposers
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:33 am

Re: 6 months experiment accepted!

Post by Poespoemspwnposers » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:50 am

oolala53 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:54 pm
It's been about six months. How has it gone?

BTW, I don't mean to be a killjoy, but the odds of getting to thin from obese are really small in our environment. But getting from unhealthy to healthy is very possible. And thinness just might happen but it's a crushing expectation. It's the cultural hatred of fatness that lies under the despair and is very hard to counteract but what's the alternative? We've got to be able to respect ourselves as is even while we cultivate habits supportive of vitality.
I do not really care about thinness, to be honest with you. I've always been big and it's basically never stood in my way and I've never disliked myself. I just need to be healthy!

I am down 45 lbs! A few months before I started I found out I have NAFLD but due to COVID I am on a possibly 18-month waitlist to see a specialist. So having lost 45 lbs should hopefully be a big help.

My No S habits have turned out to be very well suited to dealing with this. The only things I have changed are making sure I'm not eating as many processed things, nothing fried, and I don't always do sweets for S days. S days I will allow a second serving usually. I have a sweet sometimes, not always and it's been pretty good.
.

Aside from this, I have gotten back into weight lifting. Currently doing around 45 minutes 5 days a week. Recently I have added more cardio in addition to my weight lifting

I am trying to lose another 65 lbs, but overall, so long as my liver is improving and everything is going well, I am just thrilled to be eating normally.

I totally forgot my password for the longest time. Thank you for checking in on me!

oolala53
Posts: 9862
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:46 am
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Re: 6 months experiment accepted!

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:04 am

This is absolutely wonderful news! So glad for your positive changes. and am really envious (I write this to people all the time but don't do much about it) of your consistent workout schedule. I would imagine you have lost a lot more 45 lbs. of fat with that amount of resistance work.

Here's to the next six months.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 67
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (more flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There was no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

ladybird30
Posts: 691
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 10:41 pm

Re: 6 months experiment accepted!

Post by ladybird30 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:13 am

Great news that you are eating normally as well as losing weight.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

Poespoemspwnposers
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:33 am

Re: 6 months experiment accepted!

Post by Poespoemspwnposers » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:45 pm

oolala53 wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:04 am
This is absolutely wonderful news! So glad for your positive changes. and am really envious (I write this to people all the time but don't do much about it) of your consistent workout schedule. I would imagine you have lost a lot more 45 lbs. of fat with that amount of resistance work.

Here's to the next six months.
Thank you!

Unfortunately weight training doesn’t burn all that many calories. I burn top end 200 per hour even when going to failure and pushing hard. Cardio for sure burns more calories but they both make me more hungry lol. I’d probably lose more if I just walked but I like to feel strong.

Soprano
Posts: 1020
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:56 pm
Location: UK

Re: 6 months experiment accepted!

Post by Soprano » Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:10 am

It's not just the benefit of calories burned. The reduction in glucose in your blood and consequent reduction in insulin required contributes to weight loss.

Keep it up

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

Poespoemspwnposers
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:33 am

Re: 6 months experiment accepted!

Post by Poespoemspwnposers » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:54 pm

Soprano wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:10 am
It's not just the benefit of calories burned. The reduction in glucose in your blood and consequent reduction in insulin required contributes to weight loss.

Keep it up

Jx
For sure! I exercise mainly because I enjoy it but for the many things it does for health! I’m just saying I don’t rely on how many calories it burns because it isn’t as much as a lot of people think and it’s not why I exercise.

oolala53
Posts: 9862
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:46 am
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Re: 6 months experiment accepted!

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:52 am

I didn't mean that you burn a lot doing resistance work. But when people lift heavy, they can lose fat and gain muscle. I just meant it has been found that people who weight train in deficit are more likely to preserve muscle. PIctures of avid exercisers who cut calories are posted on another site I go to and it is noticeable how much smaller the exercisers look for the same weight loss.

In any case, congrats!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 67
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (more flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There was no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

User avatar
Over43
Posts: 1835
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:15 pm
Location: The Mountains

Re: 6 months experiment accepted!

Post by Over43 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:34 am

Poespoemspwnposers wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:45 pm
oolala53 wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:04 am
This is absolutely wonderful news! So glad for your positive changes. and am really envious (I write this to people all the time but don't do much about it) of your consistent workout schedule. I would imagine you have lost a lot more 45 lbs. of fat with that amount of resistance work.

Here's to the next six months.
Thank you!

Unfortunately weight training doesn’t burn all that many calories. I burn top end 200 per hour even when going to failure and pushing hard. Cardio for sure burns more calories but they both make me more hungry lol. I’d probably lose more if I just walked but I like to feel strong.
The old "cardio makes me hungry" paradox. I am in the same boat. Two or three years ago I swam a lot. And I was constantly hungry. And I ate a lot. But, there was something very comforting, being in a pool at Five AM, with very few people. It is a shame pools are so few and far between where I live.
April 4, 2016 197

Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Poespoemspwnposers
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:33 am

Re: 6 months experiment accepted!

Post by Poespoemspwnposers » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:40 pm

oolala53 wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:52 am
I didn't mean that you burn a lot doing resistance work. But when people lift heavy, they can lose fat and gain muscle. I just meant it has been found that people who weight train in deficit are more likely to preserve muscle. PIctures of avid exercisers who cut calories are posted on another site I go to and it is noticeable how much smaller the exercisers look for the same weight loss.

In any case, congrats!
Thank you. :).

It is true. I’ve been at this weight before with just cardio and also with no exercise and I am smaller now measurement wise!

Poespoemspwnposers
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:33 am

Re: 6 months experiment accepted!

Post by Poespoemspwnposers » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:41 pm

Over43 wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:34 am
Poespoemspwnposers wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:45 pm
oolala53 wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:04 am
This is absolutely wonderful news! So glad for your positive changes. and am really envious (I write this to people all the time but don't do much about it) of your consistent workout schedule. I would imagine you have lost a lot more 45 lbs. of fat with that amount of resistance work.

Here's to the next six months.
Thank you!

Unfortunately weight training doesn’t burn all that many calories. I burn top end 200 per hour even when going to failure and pushing hard. Cardio for sure burns more calories but they both make me more hungry lol. I’d probably lose more if I just walked but I like to feel strong.
The old "cardio makes me hungry" paradox. I am in the same boat. Two or three years ago I swam a lot. And I was constantly hungry. And I ate a lot. But, there was something very comforting, being in a pool at Five AM, with very few people. It is a shame pools are so few and far between where I live.
I would love to be able to swim. I never learned and I regret that! Right! I get soooo hungry when I exercise. Some of my meals have been truly gigantic and maybe a little stacked lol. Rest days I am not even close to as hungry.

Post Reply