Things I've learned in 13 days:

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

FarmerHal

Things I've learned in 13 days:

Post by FarmerHal » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:23 pm

I've learned that my grocery bill is less than it was pre noS.

I've learned that I won't starve between meals (although it certainly is feeling like it currently!!)

I feel better.

I've lost 5lbs.

I *want* to be healthy. I *want* to be at a healthy weight.

-S

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:30 pm

What are you eating? A 5 lb weight loss in 13 days for a nursing mom sounds like a lot!!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:39 pm

If you're nursing, you might want to "adjust" the rules a little. Even WW gives 10 extra points for moms who have exclusively breast-fed babies (adjusted as child takes solids and slows nursing). That's roughly 500 calories, or one more "non-idiotic" meal.

Though I'm generally a stickler for "the rules," I think you should consider it. Especially if you feel as if you're starving.

Some options, from least adjustment to most...

- Boost your meals a bit, and especially add some protein. (Completely within No-S guidelines.)
- Drink milk or juice between meals. Still technically okay, but some calories/nutrients.
- Allow ONE snack, but pre-define the things it can be. (Fruits/veggies/protein only, that kind of thing). Stick to the plate rule, but use a saucer instead. Only use it if you feel you "need" it. (I did that when I was starting No-S, b/c I was REALLY used to regular snacks.)
- Allow yourself one extra meal, and space out your others accordingly. Keep all the other rules of No-S - one plate, no seconds, etc.

If you're nursing, you DON'T want to lose weight fast, because you need to make sure that both you and the baby get the nutrition you need. Health comes first... and weight lost slowly is more likely to stay off. A little patience/gentleness now will help you in the long run. Focus on habit-building, not instant results.

Just my .02. Take what works for you....

(Btw, congrats on your little one. I was looking a baby pics of my 6 year old recently... ahhhh. Wishing you joy and enough sleep to get by....)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:54 pm

KCCC said:
Focus on habit-building, not instant results.
I couldnt' agree more. And while, unlike KCCC, I'm not a stickler for rules (most are quite arbitrary and just someone's idea of "what's right"), I think building good habits and making sure you and your baby are healthy and well-fed are far more important than following the rules.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:30 pm

Thanks everyone.

I was doing so well up till now and DD has been nursing a lot lately- gearing up for a big growth spurt. SHes' been up 5+ times the last few nights nursing away <am I tired?! LOL>

OK. So, if it won't mess up my N days, I think I'll add one more meal per day (like a bowl of whole grain Bob's red mill hot cereal). Or fruit/veg/protein.

I think the most important thing for me is to stick to the rules and not eat mindlessly. Lately though I'm starving between lunch and dinner and then overnight.

Ok, so new rules for me: 3 meals plus 1 extra per day. The extra can be an apple, or a banana, or a whole grain cereal- must be a healthy item.

Thanks everyone for help with this... do you think this messes up my 21 days?

-S