back after a long absence

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mommashell

back after a long absence

Post by mommashell » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:09 pm

Well, after a long unexplainable absense from the bard I'm back and haven't really been too off track. I managed to get down to 220 before I gave up in frustration over the holidays but only gained three or four pounds in that time which lasted from thanksgiving to new years, what with parties and all. So I didn't do too bad. Today, which is my official tracking day, I weigh 224.8 and am hoping to get back down this week to the weight I was in late november early december. Then I can continue losing. I'm determined to break yet another barrier and this time really stick to no S. As an example of my commitment, we got doughnuts yesterday. (S day) and there were two left today, and I let the kids have them. Not easy since oneis a cruler and the other is pumpkin spice, two of my favorites. But I'm determined. Of course, if they forget them, I don't know what I'll do. The plan is that they are going to take them to school or whatever. One thing I've been trying to instill in my kids is that it really is ok to stop eating when you're full. This is hard as it means that sometimes they don't clean their plates. When Melissa was horrified at the thought of wasting food, but didn't want to eat any more, I said, well honey, if you put it down the garbage disposal then the food goes down the drain and it goes down the same pipes that it would go down if you used the pottie. So it's all going to the same place, so it isn't wasting.
:wink: But of course, if they cry full, I don't go and feed them other stuff later. I want them to understand there's a difference between I don't like my food and I'm full. ]\\
Of course, that's another thing, I try not to make them eat too many things that they don't like. I still won't eat most vegetables like green beans or broccoli or colliflower because of the eat it or die trying policy of our family. I do eat raw broccoli with dip though and most raw veggies, just not as often as I should. I tend more twoard protein although I don't really profess to be a low carb eater. That's one thing I want to work on though, more veggies in my diet, since I seem to have no problem with fruits. Of course, my theory is that you find most of things tha are in vegetables, in most fruits. But I'm no expert. I figure if I eat enough apples oranges and blue berries I'll be good. So as for other goals, I need to get some laundry folded today and need to straighten up before people come to look at the house. Yeah, it's still on the market. And somewhere in there I need to actually go to Water aerobics. I love water aerobics but it's such a pain. I think that if the transportation wasn't such a problem I wouldn't mind going. But I'm going to try to find someone to go with. That is easier said than done, since no one seems real into helping with transportation. i'm sure it's because the people in my class don't live in my area, and that's fine. I've never been one to think the world owes me something because of my vision loss, althoughadmittedly, it's real inconvenient. Ok, so anyway, I'm back on this list hoping not to become too obsessed with it and to strengthen my commitment to a healthier body. And if I can do it without having to eat yucky food or sacrifice too much, then so much the better!!
I hope everyone on the list had a merry christmas and a happy new year!!
Shell

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:13 pm

Welcome back! I'm new here myself. Been noSing since 16 Dec.

I wasn't a big veggie eater either, but I've since learned to love them- I steam baby carrots until tender- soo sweet and yummy even with nothing on them.

Also, you can toss asparagus with a bit of olive oil and pinch salt, then lay flat on a cookie sheet. Broil a few minutes until tender. I like to see a bit of browning on them. Then I sprinkle with one of the Mrs. Dash medleys- really like the southwest chipotle one. Very good!

YOu can steam frozen or fresh green beans, toss with a bit of olive oil and spices as well.

I got these ideas from both friends and the cookbook Joy of Cooking.

I've even started to crave veggies with every meal! VERY bizarre for me LOL.

Hope you have a great day!

JustAnnie

Post by JustAnnie » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:56 pm

Nice to meet you Shell. I am another new comer to the system (I don't like to call it a diet) like Shamrockmommy. I'm doing pretty well so far but I have a ways to go to make this my everyday approach to food.

I was the youngest child of an older "Depression Era" father (now deceased) who thought that no morsel of food should be wasted. It was like a light bulb going on for me when a friend told me, "Throw out those leftovers, what does it matter if that food passes through you first before it goes down the drain, it all ends up in the same place!" So, I enjoyed your comment to your kids.

Hope this time is the charm for you!!
Just Annie

You Can't Fail Until You Quit Trying

mommashell

Post by mommashell » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:14 pm

Niceto meet both of you. I wouldn't go so far as to say I am *back* more like back on track. I never really left, just veered a little. It was very very easy to get back into not snacking and not eating sweets, although I had started eating at night again. Right now I'm being totally lazy and letting my housekeeper do what I pay her to do and clean while I sit here and sneeze, I mean type. Anyway, yesterday was real goodas I managed to exercise and stay on my diet. uh, I mean eating plan. This can hardly be called a diet. Ok, I'm gonna go sneeze my head off now.
Shell
JustAnnie wrote:Nice to meet you Shell. I am another new comer to the system (I don't like to call it a diet) like Shamrockmommy. I'm doing pretty well so far but I have a ways to go to make this my everyday approach to food.

I was the youngest child of an older "Depression Era" father (now deceased) who thought that no morsel of food should be wasted. It was like a light bulb going on for me when a friend told me, "Throw out those leftovers, what does it matter if that food passes through you first before it goes down the drain, it all ends up in the same place!" So, I enjoyed your comment to your kids.

Hope this time is the charm for you!!
:D

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:50 am

Welcome back, mommashell!

As for wasting food, you're absolutely right: if you make your mouth the garbage disposal, you make your whole body a sewer. Now that's a waste.

Reinhard

JustAnnie

Post by JustAnnie » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:18 am

Wow Reinhard! What a quote!! I think that should be made into a bumper sticker or t-shirt or something. =)
Just Annie

You Can't Fail Until You Quit Trying