school lunches around the world

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

joasia

school lunches around the world

Post by joasia » Tue May 22, 2007 11:55 pm

I went on google.com and wrote in "School lunches around the world" The first or second article by BBC was really interesting (sorry I don't know how to link it here). People from all over the world wrote in about their school lunches. All of them usually consisted of starch, meat, and vegetables. No where did it say anything about non fat or low carb. But the people saying they grew up in lean countries, didn't mention fast food or junk either. And commentaries said that France's growing obesity problem among the young has to do with increased fast food consumption.
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed May 23, 2007 1:26 pm

Being a teacher in a middle school I know all about school lunches! Our cafeteria is one place I avoid like the plague! Not always - I used to eat our school lunches...that is until several years ago during School Lunch Week. Our cafeteria decided to post the calories, fat content, fiber, carb count, all that good information, for our meals. I almost passed out when I saw what I had been consuming! Each meal had at least 20 or more grams of fat (and I don't remember how much of that was saturated - it was a lot!) Anyway, to make a long story short, I haven't eaten a lunch since - I pack my own! Much safer and healthier!
mimi
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri May 25, 2007 11:44 am

Here's one from the US to make your mouth water:
http://www.calhoun.org/page.cfm?p=448

Here's a link to his book:
http://www.amazon.com/Chef-Bobos-Good-C ... 0696221500

And also check www.spoonsacrossamerica.org for one of his menus with recipes. Google "Chef Bobo" for lots more info.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."