Going to a wedding reception, drinks first, empty stomach

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Posh

Going to a wedding reception, drinks first, empty stomach

Post by Posh » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:07 pm

Hello everybody,

I'v been watching and learning from this site for a short while and completely agree with this whole concept of eating. But this is my first time actually communicating with all of you. So I do have a bit of a challenge coming up this month and was hoping for a little bit of help. I'm going to a wedding reception and of course the meal won't be till after 7:00 I'm sure. Since I'm new at this I just wondered how you would handle the cocktail hour. I'll be starving by then and can't drink without some food in my stomach. I know it's supposedly an S day but I want to try and stick to some sort of schedule in the beginning because I'm worried about going back to old habits. Make sense?

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:07 pm

Welcome, Posh!

Honestly, I'd just call it an S-day and not worry...

It would take superheroic willpower to resist all those temptations, and I'm not sure it would buy you much in terms of habit. Even if you succeed, the environment is so obviously "special" that you're not going to make habitually useful associations. If you don't succeed, your discouragement might spill over into the rest of the week.

So I'd recommend you focus on keeping your normal days compliant instead. I think you'll find that's plenty hard, and plenty beneficial. You get a lot more bang for your willpower buck.

Best of luck whatever you decide (and enjoy the wedding),

Reinhard

Posh

Post by Posh » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:41 pm

Thank you for the advice. I think that's what I'll do. I've always been such a grazer (especially sweets) that I'm afraid I'll just snack right into the next day. And wedding cake is a weakness. I swear sometimes I could eat the whole cake and not blink an eye. I'm finding that the discipline during the week has been refreshing. I like the structure (who'd of thunk)of 3 squares, and actually have enjoyed being hungry for a change before the next meal. Food tastes so much better when you're truly hungry. It's the S days that scare me.