No-S and Jared

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

No-S and Jared

Post by wosnes » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:00 pm

I was reading this and realized that there are a lot of similarities between No-S and what Jared Fogle did.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 03162.html
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Nichole

Re: No-S and Jared

Post by Nichole » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:12 pm

wosnes wrote:I was reading this and realized that there are a lot of similarities between No-S and what Jared Fogle did.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 03162.html
Thank you for posting that! What a pleasant article. I absolutely LOVE Jared. I've never been more than a couple lbs overweight, but I still find him so inspiring. And it was a lot like no-S. It even writes about him feeling hungry, which we all suffer from in between our meals:
This was his weight-loss eureka moment: He realized his "diet" could be composed of two of those sandwiches a day.

"It was sort of a crazy idea, but I thought it was worth a shot," he says.

As a college student who liked to sleep late, Jared decided to eat his first meal at midday. He ate a six-inch turkey sub with plenty of vegetables but no mayonnaise, oil or cheese, plus a small bag of baked chips. He also switched from regular Mountain Dew and orange soda to diet soft drinks. "That was very tough," he says.

For dinner, he ate a foot-long veggie sub with another bag of baked chips and more diet soda. The two meals added up to about 1,500 calories per day, about the amount recommended by many weight-loss programs.

When he felt hungry, Jared reminded himself that he was probably losing weight.
And as someone working in advertising, I've got to say that Subway's campaign has been so genius. One of the only of its kind to be so successful.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:41 pm

Yes!

Here's a previous discussion on the subject:

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... ight=jared

Reinhard

TingTing

Post by TingTing » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:03 am

I read Jared's book a long time ago. It is amazing that he managed to get so skinny after being so morbidly obese! After reading the book, I kept on thinking, how can one survive on 2 subway sandwiches a day for such a long time without losing one's mind? If I tried doing that, my taste buds will be screaming from boredom and I'd probably eat everything in sight!

What I had forgotten was that Jared had reached the point that he couldn't function any more. He was so heavy he couldn't do the day to day things anymore. I believe he got so desperate he was willing to try anything. For some reason, Subway sandwiches really did it for him. He was so determined to lose weight that for a guy who usually ate alot of food, he managed to eat only 2 sandwiches a day!

How many of us are so determined to do something like that?

Jared is an inspiration. I have to remember him whenever I'm tempted to snack. :)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:19 am

TingTing wrote:What I had forgotten was that Jared had reached the point that he couldn't function any more. He was so heavy he couldn't do the day to day things anymore. I believe he got so desperate he was willing to try anything. For some reason, Subway sandwiches really did it for him. He was so determined to lose weight that for a guy who usually ate alot of food, he managed to eat only 2 sandwiches a day!
Though that's a lot of it, he was a college student and probably didn't cook much, if at all, and he liked Subway sandwiches.

Me, I'd do the Panera diet!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:11 am

how can one survive on 2 subway sandwiches a day for such a long time without losing one's mind?
Tingting, that is hysterical ... I would also have lost my mind ...BUT you make some very good points as to why he probably stuck with it.

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:34 am

wosnes wrote:
TingTing wrote:What I had forgotten was that Jared had reached the point that he couldn't function any more. He was so heavy he couldn't do the day to day things anymore. I believe he got so desperate he was willing to try anything. For some reason, Subway sandwiches really did it for him. He was so determined to lose weight that for a guy who usually ate alot of food, he managed to eat only 2 sandwiches a day!
Though that's a lot of it, he was a college student and probably didn't cook much, if at all, and he liked Subway sandwiches.

Me, I'd do the Panera diet!
I don't think that it is possible to eat only 1500 calories a day at Panera! Back in my Weight Watcher's days I found out that most of Panera's food is horribly high in fat! LOL!

I could not eat the same two sandwiches day in and day out...thank GOODNESS for Reinhard!
:D

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:37 am

CrazyCatLady wrote:I don't think that it is possible to eat only 1500 calories a day at Panera! Back in my Weight Watcher's days I found out that most of Panera's food is horribly high in fat! LOL!
I had to go check it out...it is possible, especially if you use the "Pick Two" option. Obviously it depends on what menu items you choose, but it's possible to pick 3 items for a meal and come out at about 800 calories.

I do think that we've become overly fearful of fat. Fearing fat and using fat-reduced products hasn't helped us to manage our weight!

I wouldn't eat at Panera daily, let alone 2 times daily, though. It's the soup/salad/sandwich option or pattern that I like. But I like it better homemade!

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:54 am

It is true...we do not need to fear the fat, even in Panera sandwiches! Hopefully as I keep no s-ing, I will get a better sense of when I feel full, making eating any food much simpler!

And I prefer my home cooking, as well!