Yet another first day, any suggestions?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

MollyMouse

Yet another first day, any suggestions?

Post by MollyMouse » Tue May 27, 2008 11:25 am

Okay, I am up and feel that I have a new attitude. How long that will last, who knows? But I have made my lunch, a very large salad with ham. Its in a large plastic container, but I think it would all fit on a plate. Now one of my biggest problems when I work is.... I get up and eat breakfast by 8am, but then I do not get to eat my lunch until about 2pm. I have no idea how I could eat enough for breakfast that would hold me over with out severe hunger for that length of time. Any suggestions??
Have a great nos day.
Cheers
Marilyn
aka MollyMouse

oh by the way breakfast consisted of 2 eggs, one slice of Ancient grain bread, and a glass of soy milk. I thought about having another slice of bread but thought I should cut back on the carbs.

rose

Post by rose » Tue May 27, 2008 11:54 am

Hello,

remember, with noS you already cut on carbs merely with the "no sweets" rule. There is no real need to cut down on bread unless you really eat A LOT of bread. Compare you carb intake to your veggies and fruit intake. A good rule of thumb is complex carbs bulk = one half to one third of your fruit and vegetables intake bulk.

Generally speaking, if you don't eat enough bread or cereals at breakfast, you might get cravings or hunger before lunch. If that causes you to snack, it's not good. It's better to eat more complex carbs at meals (whole grain if you like) than junk food as a snack.

Anyway you don't have to make a decision right now. You don't need to have a perfect N-day on the first try. You can take several days to experiment with your breakfast until you find an acceptable compromise that works for _you_. After a few weeks you will probably find that your appetite decreases and your meal size is reduced without conscious effort anyway.
Started NoS Jan 07 at 74.5kg (164 lbs, BMI 26.7)
Stable since Jan 08 at 64kg (141 lbs, BMI 23)
My progress chart

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue May 27, 2008 12:00 pm

So add another egg. That would probably do it for you.

My normal breakfast (This is pretty much Reinhard's "Optimized Oatmeal" and I really enjoy it, as it fills me up and is actually pretty tasty with various dried fruits):

1/2 c dry rough cut oats
1/8 c dried fruit (often dried apricots chopped, but this morning it was raisins)
1/8 c nuts (walnuts this week)
1/8 c seeds (been sunflower seeds mostly. I may try pumpkin seeds later)

Pour some hot water over it, maybe some cinnamon if I'm in the mood. OM NOM NOM NOM NOM.

That carries me till lunch, which I eat between 1 and 2.

Notice that this is not a low fat meal. Fat=long term satiety for me.

On the days I don't eat this, I'll eat, no kidding, three eggs and three slices of bacon. I only do that when I'm not sure when or what I'll be having for lunch. The reason I do is that though the calorie count is actually pretty close to the optimized oatmeal (actually slightly less. SURPRISE!), it carries me for a LOOONNNGGG time.

I don't sweat fat too much, other than making sure I don't eat too much in general. I find low fat makes me too hungry and I wind up eating too much.

*wrygrin* And if this post wasn't overthinking diet, I'm not sure what is....

For some balance, check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-t-7lTw6mA I don't recall if it's been posted before here or not, but if not, check it out.

CatholicCajun

Re: Yet another first day, any suggestions?

Post by CatholicCajun » Tue May 27, 2008 12:06 pm

MollyMouse wrote:Okay, I am up and feel that I have a new attitude. How long that will last, who knows? But I have made my lunch, a very large salad with ham. Its in a large plastic container, but I think it would all fit on a plate. Now one of my biggest problems when I work is.... I get up and eat breakfast by 8am, but then I do not get to eat my lunch until about 2pm. I have no idea how I could eat enough for breakfast that would hold me over with out severe hunger for that length of time. Any suggestions??
Have a great nos day.
Cheers
Marilyn
aka MollyMouse

oh by the way breakfast consisted of 2 eggs, one slice of Ancient grain bread, and a glass of soy milk. I thought about having another slice of bread but thought I should cut back on the carbs.
Good Morning. I try and eat breakfast between 8:30 and 9am, lunch is around 2pm and supper is between 7-8pm depending when hubby gets home. My body is slowly adjusting to these times, but for those of us who have conditioned our bodies for meals every 3 hours, the adjustment to the new times can be difficult. I keep whole milk in the refrigerator at work, if hunger gets to bad before meal time I will have a glass of milk to hold me over, it works wonders. Hope this helps. God Bless.
Je'sus, j'Ai Confiance dans Vous

Karma rex

Post by Karma rex » Wed May 28, 2008 4:02 am

That is a long time to go between meals...I would not make it no matter how much I had for breakfast...I eat breakfast early around 6:30-7:00 so I have a mini meal at 10:00 which consists of one cup of homemade vegetable soup with tons of garlic in it! On the days we don't have soup I suffer through to lunch but it is hard. I had a SF chai this morning as there was no soup (our cookhouse is closed for a week). So a glass of milk or like some have hot chocolate or a hot cup of soup broth may tide you over. I feel as long as it is planned and part of your meal plan you can keep on the green!

MollyMouse

Checking in on second day

Post by MollyMouse » Wed May 28, 2008 12:07 pm

First day Green.. Yaaaaaay
Now for the start of the second day.
I still feel pumped up for my second day. I am eating breakfast later today as I do not have to be at work until 11am. Its nine now so I must soon go and get something together for breakfast and also my lunch. Although I may just get a salad from Wendys today.

Is this what is known as a thread? I am not use to any of the lingo here and am not sure if I am to check in by going back to this or do I start a new one each day? I see people that say daily check in but not sure if this is all part of a thread created weeks ago?

Have a great Nosday and I will check in later tonight when I get home from work and see how you all did. Here's Root tootin for us all.
Cheers
Marilyn
aka MollyMouse

BrightAngel

Re: Checking in on second day

Post by BrightAngel » Wed May 28, 2008 1:39 pm

MollyMouse wrote: Is this what is known as a thread?

I am not use to any of the lingo here and am not sure if I am to check in by going back to this or do I start a new one each day?

I see people that say daily check in but not sure if this is all part of a thread created weeks ago?

Cheers
Marilyn
aka MollyMouse
Marilyn, in answer to your question.

If you go to the top of the page and click on "Discussion Home", you will see that this "thread" is part of "General Discussion". If you look below "general discussion", you will see a thread marked "Daily Check in".

Many people, myself included, choose to start a personal thread in "Daily Check in", which is devoted specifically to themselves, and they add to it every day, or whenever they choose to do so.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu May 29, 2008 2:24 am

Sometimes because of the days my work days go I end up going until 2 sometimes it has been almost 3 when I eat lunch :(
I eat breakfast depending between 7:30 to 9:00 am...

Usually if I am involved with what I am doing I don't even notice. I used to eat eggs, soysausage and fruit for breakfast, now I eat ezekiel cereal, yogurt and fruit.

Either of these kinds of breakfasts seems to hold me, I also ALWAYS have a bottle of water to drink with me which I like.

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey