Candy- recession proof!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ou812

Candy- recession proof!

Post by ou812 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:22 am

There was a brief story on personal indulgences during recessions during the Today show. They said that Americans spend 27.5 billion dollars on candy a year. Wow, and we wonder why we have such widespread obesity. Is it any surprise?

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:37 pm

that is quite a bit of $$$$$$ :D

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

anovelgirl

Post by anovelgirl » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:58 pm

I'm not shocked at all, really. I mean, look at the holidays - Halloween, Easter - they aren't holidays where people indulge in homemade treats - they're bags and baskets full of candies.

Add in all of the vending machines, located on every corner, every five feet on a school campus; the checkout lines in stores - heck, even department stores sell candy now.

I'll never forget one year at Easter when I was a teenager. A friend of my mom's filled a HUGE basket - literally, like a straw laundry basket size - with Cadbury eggs and all kinds of chocolate, and then gave it to my brother and I for the holiday. I looked at all of that candy and thought we'd won the lottery or something...but I remember my brother being like, "That much candy could kill someone!" I don't recall how long it took us to polish it off, but I know it wasn't long. We were allowed to graze as we wanted to.

Completely senseless. I think back and can't believe we ate that much candy.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:10 pm

Cosmetic industries don't suffer much from bad financial times, either. A woman might not be able to afford new shoes or a new dress, but she'll buy a new lipstick.

Lipstick -- and candy -- are affordable indulgences even when times are tight.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

sbay301

Post by sbay301 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:30 pm

A whole big straw basket of Cadbury eggs. Yummy! I do believe that chocolate is the food of the gods and no food reduction program will ever change my mind.

Yes, yes now I need to save it for S-days and I'm ok with that, but I do confess that it's one of my great loves.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:42 pm

Here's some perspective on candy consumption (in the US at least):

http://www.ers.usda.gov/Data/FoodConsum ... sweets.xls

During the period for which they have data (1966-2006) per capita consumption ("domestic disappearance") rose a bit over 20%. That's a lot, but not too disproportionate compared with other food sources (caloric sweeteners as a whole are up 23% per capita during this period).

There were also some significant fluctuations from year to year (most notably a big dip in the early 1970s). Not sure what to make of this.

All kinds of other fascinating consumption data here:

http://www.ers.usda.gov/Data/FoodConsum ... sheets.htm

It's all in excel and in a TINY font. I have to zoom a lot just to be able to decipher it.

Reinhard