Family events

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ou812

Family events

Post by ou812 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:41 am

It was a beautiful summer day. My family was running errands and we stopped to get ice cream. I know it wasn't an S-day, but it just seemed to be silly not to get ice cream with the rest of my kids. I didn't want to be legalistic and not enjoy the moment with my family. Has anyone had this sort of experience?
Thanks.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:58 am

Yes, and it's hard.

Most of the time, I just enjoy the company and forgo the food. That gets easier with practice.

But there are times, I take a NWS and join them - like today, when my son was part of a group of kids running a rootbeer float stand. (How can I say no?) But I try to keep it very "contained" so that one S-event doesn't turn into "go wild the rest of the day."

For me, it's best to be a bit legalistic as a general rule... otherwise, I'd find excuses to indulge on a regular basis.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:02 am

I didn't want to be legalistic and not enjoy the moment with my family.
Maybe it is just how you look at it. I find it hard to think of words like "legalistic" and "rigid" and "inflexible" in reference to No S. There is simply so much room for fun and flexibility in the lifestyle.

I am STRICT with my N days, which I suppose you might call legalistic. But I find that being STRICT on my N days really allows me to enjoy my S days and NWS days and also lose/maintain weight amazingly easy.

I suspect that normally thin people don't ALWAYS eat sweets every time they have the chance and they probably don't consider themselves as being "legalistic" when they decline.

I think KCCC makes a good point, it is always wonderful to just enjoy the company,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

vmelo

Post by vmelo » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:26 am

What is an "NWS"? (I've looked around this forum, but I can't seem to find the answer).

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:48 am

vmelo wrote:What is an "NWS"? (I've looked around this forum, but I can't seem to find the answer).
Non-Weekend S-day. A day outside your normal S-day routine where you make a conscious decision that "this is special enough for a treat."

Usually reserved for major holidays and birthdays of immediate family, but everyone gets to decide for him or herself what constitutes "special.' However, the recommendation is to keep them to 2-3 max a month.

Julie V

Post by Julie V » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:13 pm

As long as your family doesn't stop for ice cream three times a week, I think it was fine.... It sounds like it honestly was a special occasion, in the truest sense of the word. Most of my happiest family memories are of spontaneous celebrations like that one.

And you can always get a junior cone instead of a triple-dip... it will be just as special.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:42 pm

Generally I think that NWS days are something one knows about in advance. But I also think there are days that are spontaneous.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

vmelo

Post by vmelo » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:51 pm

KCCC wrote:
vmelo wrote:What is an "NWS"? (I've looked around this forum, but I can't seem to find the answer).
Non-Weekend S-day. A day outside your normal S-day routine where you make a conscious decision that "this is special enough for a treat."

Usually reserved for major holidays and birthdays of immediate family, but everyone gets to decide for him or herself what constitutes "special.' However, the recommendation is to keep them to 2-3 max a month.
Thank you!