Anybody use a special plate? Not size-wise

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

vcanfield

Anybody use a special plate? Not size-wise

Post by vcanfield » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:39 am

I decided to go out and get a special plate. No, it is not a serving platter, it is just a one I particularly liked- a square Japanese-style plate. I have decided to use this for all my home meals. Anyone else done this or is it uniquely mine?

phosphorus

Post by phosphorus » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:55 pm

I recently got a set of Corelle "luncheon" plates, 8.5 inches, with dividers in them -- the pattern is Winter Frost White and it comes divided or undivided. The dividers roughly split the plate into a half and two quarters. I have found it really helpful for keeping my veggie portion nice and big and my "main stuff" portion smaller.

So, it's sort of a size thing, since it's a smaller plate, but mostly a divide-up-the-plate thing. I think they come in a bigger "modern" dinner plate size too.

vcanfield

Post by vcanfield » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:29 pm

phosphorus wrote:I recently got a set of Corelle "luncheon" plates, 8.5 inches, with dividers in them -- the pattern is Winter Frost White and it comes divided or undivided. The dividers roughly split the plate into a half and two quarters. I have found it really helpful for keeping my veggie portion nice and big and my "main stuff" portion smaller.

So, it's sort of a size thing, since it's a smaller plate, but mostly a divide-up-the-plate thing. I think they come in a bigger "modern" dinner plate size too.
Oh, I like the divided plate idea. I may go looking for something like that. I like the idea of making sure I get all my veggies. Thanks for that little tip!

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:00 am

I don't have a "special plate," but I do "plate my food" in situations where I might not have before. Like, when eating by myself. Or when eating a sandwich-type meal.

Putting it on a plate makes it more of an official meal. It's like telling myself "This is food. It counts. It's enough." I've noticed that if I don't put it on a plate, I don't tend to count it as a "real meal."

The other day, my family ate out at a food court. There are three of us, and one is a child with an erratic appetite (growing - can vary from small amounts to voracious). But restaurant portions are HUGE, so we got 2 meals for the 3 of us and split. The place was kind enough to offer an extra plate, and I grabbed it! I filled it up, and my hubby and son still had PLENTY left. Just shows how much can be packed in those Styrofoam-type boxes!

Plates are good. :)