learned something new about myself

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

clicklbd

learned something new about myself

Post by clicklbd » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:50 am

If you asked me before today, I would tell you I absolutely do not eat when I'm stressed. In fact, I totally lose my appetite.

I would say that's sort of true. If I'm very stressed about one thing in particular, then I don't eat. I sit and fret. If I've got a lot of low level stress on a bunch of things going on, then I absolutely do eat! (I tend to be a 0 or 10 person about any given topic.)

Today it was a conglomeration of things, including dinner turning out DREADFULLY, and then some health stuff, and just general worries. All were about 3's, but added up, it was like a 27! And my mouth said hello to some chocolate chip cookies (which weren't even that great.) But I didn't binge. I had 3 and stopped, which I guess is progress.

I'm just not going to worry about this. It is one day out of the rest of my life. Boy, I've been dieting for most of my life, and now suddenly, I do this new program, and things are becoming so very clear. Go figure.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:01 am

For myself, I've found that when there's a constant, relatively low level of stress, I'll eat my way through it. If it's a BIG stressor, I completely lose my appetite.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

howfunisthat

Re: learned something new about myself

Post by howfunisthat » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:26 pm

[quote="clicklbd"I'm just not going to worry about this. It is one day out of the rest of my life. Boy, I've been dieting for most of my life, and now suddenly, I do this new program, and things are becoming so very clear. Go figure.[/quote]

What a great statement! Clarity in eating! I don't think there's another plan out there that comes close to that...

Thanks for writing your thoughts....oh...and I agree....don't worry about the cookies...you came away with understanding and you stopped eating too....that's a great combination!

janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:56 pm

Sounds like 3 cookies were a reasonable price to pay for such a valuable insight! (And stopping at 3 is an accomplishment to celebrate.)

Good for you.

And thanks for sharing!

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:09 pm

This past week was a low grade chronic stressful one for me. I wanted so badly to eat a few times but the habit kept me on track.

clicklbd

Post by clicklbd » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:23 pm

Blithe Morning wrote:This past week was a low grade chronic stressful one for me. I wanted so badly to eat a few times but the habit kept me on track.
Blithe, I really hope I come to that point. That's my goal, for this to be that much of a habit.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:37 pm

If I'm very stressed about one thing in particular, then I don't eat. I sit and fret. If I've got a lot of low level stress on a bunch of things going on, then I absolutely do eat!
clicklbd,

Great Insight! I never really saw it that way before, but it perfectly explains the times I lost weight due to stress vs. gained weight due to stress,

apparently the numerous small stressors in my life occurs more frequently than the single big ones! :D

thank you,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey