Favorite Whole wheat recipes?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Merry

Favorite Whole wheat recipes?

Post by Merry » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:17 pm

I'd love to hear some other favorite ww recipes! Here's two of mine:

I absolutely LOVE this pizza crust!

Italian Seasoned Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
Makes 1 - 12 inch pizza crust

Ingredients

1 small onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 t. Italian seasoning
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1 tablespoon honey
2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 T. gluten
2 t. salt

Directions
Brown onions in non-stick pan, or with a little olive oil. Add garlic toward the end and brown it along with the onions. Set aside.

In a small bowl, dissolve honey then yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.

In a large bowl combine 2 c.flour, gluten, onion/garlic, Italian seasoning, and salt. Make a well in the middle and add honey/yeast mixture. Knead in remaining flour. Cover with damp cloth and set in a warm place to rise until doubled.

Roll dough on a floured pizza pan and poke a few holes in it with a fork. Allow it to rise while preheating oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Bake in preheated oven for 5 to 10 minutes, or until desired crispiness is achieved. Then put sauce, cheese, etc. on, and bake about 20 min. or until crust is golden. It works great on a pizza stone if you have one.

Biscuits

2 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup cold butter
about 3/4 cup milk

Combine dry ingredients. Cut in butter until you reach a cornmeal consistancy. Stir in milk until flour holds together and can be kneaded. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead about 10 times. Roll out to 1/2 inch thick and cut. Bake at 450 for 8-10 minutes.

These are pretty simple & tasty.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:00 pm

Those biscuits sound really good. I'll have to to check my recipes for one to add.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:33 pm

Merry, would the pizza dough work without the added gluten? (I am not sure what gluten actually does in a recipe...)

Merry

Post by Merry » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:27 am

funfuture wrote:Merry, would the pizza dough work without the added gluten? (I am not sure what gluten actually does in a recipe...)
Yes, I forgot that part! The person I got it from said you could sub. white flour, or just leave it out. I just left it out & didn't have any problems.

Merry :-)
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:15 am

great, thanks.

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:22 pm

Funfuture,

Gluten is the protein in flour that gives bread its characteristic chewiness. I noticed that the recipe Merry posted gave no instructions for kneading. When you make bread or pizza dough, a typical recipe doesn't include extra gluten, since the natural gluten in the flour gets developed from kneading the dough for about ten minutes. If you leave out the extra gluten, be sure to take some time for knead the dough until it becomes soft and elastic.

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:18 pm

That's good to know, thanks. I've only recently tried making pastry and I've never tried to make bread. It's a good time to start! I really like the idea of making those things from scratch - not just to avoid the preservatives, etc, but also because I'm often pottering around the kitchen and I love the whole earth-mother idea of it. :D

I have been thinking of getting some sourdough starter - I know someone who makes it every morning and has been using the same starter for about 4 years.

One day I might even try making my own yoghurt!