Morning Banana Diet

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

keripiersall

Morning Banana Diet

Post by keripiersall » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:37 am

Hi! This is my first time posting. I bought the No S Diet book and think it's great! I'm starting tomorrow. Also, I found the "Morning Banana Diet", a diet craze that is sweeping Japan. It is actually causing a banana shortage in Japan! It seemed to me that it had the same basic principles of the No S Diet, (a banana every morning for breakfast, then two regular meals of your choice the rest of the day). It's a little more liberal, but I found it interesting that half way around the world people of a completely different culture are doing similar things! Has anyone else heard of it?

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:51 pm

They were actually advertising on the google term "no s diet" for a while. Maybe I should return the favor :-)

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:57 pm

Here's an article on the subject:

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/ ... html?imw=Y

May be a few years/decades before No-s sells that many copies, but I'm optimistic it'll still be around then at least :-)

Reinhard

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:05 pm

Interesting!

Personally, there's no way a banana would sustain me past 10am my body only seems to like two kinds of breakfasts:

1) something substaintial that preferably includes fat and protein (e.g. oatmeal, nuts and fruit).

2) nothing at all until lunchtime (not something I do very often!)

If I do something in between these, like eat a light fruit meal or a bowl of cornflakes, I end up with all sorts of weird low blood sugar shakiness which ruins my morning (something which bizarrely doesn't happen if I don't eat anything at all). I think my body is telling me "either give me real, substantial food or just don't bother!" :D

JerryLee

Post by JerryLee » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:34 pm

I am waiting for the "Axle Foley Banana in the Tailpipe" diet.

winnie96

Post by winnie96 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:45 am

BonnieUK -- I am totally with you on the breakfast thing ... having a little something like bananas (vs. nothing or something substantial) sets me up for major failure as the day goes on. Not sure what's up with that, but the banana diet thing would definitely lead me down the path to failure.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:27 am

I love bananas, but I'd get sick of them if I had them every morning :)
LOL..
Also, I prefer them cut in slices on top of a bowl of cornflakes :wink:
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:29 am

ps.. Welcome Kerie!
Good luck with NoS'sing and Banana'ing :)
Hahah..
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:55 am

winnie96 wrote:BonnieUK -- I am totally with you on the breakfast thing ... having a little something like bananas (vs. nothing or something substantial) sets me up for major failure as the day goes on. Not sure what's up with that, but the banana diet thing would definitely lead me down the path to failure.
I think it has to do with blood sugar regulation, in the morning when you wake, your blood sugar levels are at their lowest, so I guess if you eat something and raise blood sugar levels, you also elevate insulin levels to varying degrees (depending on how quickly absorbed the energy from your food is). I guess eating nothing at all doesn't prompt an insulin response which may explain why eating nothing can feel better than having something light (everyone is different though, and I expect the body can learn to adjust to something like the banana diet, just as people can adjust to No S).

But that's just a bit of amateur breakfast science from someone who reads too many health blogs :)

larisa0001

Post by larisa0001 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:07 am

I actually rather like bananas, and one of my breakfast alternatives is coffee and a banana. I find that I'm never all that hungry in the morning, so I generally have a very light breakfast. Plus, bananas are good for you - high in potassium and all that stuff.