Back on the plan...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kccc

Back on the plan...

Post by kccc » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:20 pm

Today is an "N-day at home" for me, which I have always found a bit hard. And I'm coming off a fairly idiotish series of S-days. Halloween, birthday, Cub Scout camping trip with tons of junk around. (Most of it was not worth bothering with... but the home-made cookies sent by a mom were a major exception. And the salty stuff, which I do tend to snack on if it's around.)

We still have a good bit of Halloween candy, and I'll need to watch it. So, this is just to REMIND myself that I INTEND to have a good N-day.

That means having REAL MEALS that I like, so I don't feel deprived. Doing other things, so I don't drift to the kitchen out of boredom. Maybe trying a new recipe... oddly, the more time I take preparing food, the more I enjoy the food itself without going overboard.

So, I'm keeping these strategies in mind. And putting them out here, to keep myself extra-accountable. I know I'll need to report back in later, and of course that will keep me honest! :)

gingercake

Post by gingercake » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:28 pm

As usual, I'm really glad it's Monday. Thursday was a red day, then Friday was yellow for Halloween, then the weekend... I like having my training wheels back on. I'm self-employed and am often at home or at my office, alone, and I actually do better in those places than anywhere else. I have what I need for my meals and I'm not influenced by outside stimulus!

It will be a good day. A new recipe sounds like a good idea. If the weather where you are is like it is here, maybe a pot of soup.

gratefuldeb67

Re: Back on the plan...

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:12 pm

KCCC wrote: Maybe trying a new recipe... oddly, the more time I take preparing food, the more I enjoy the food itself without going overboard.
Me too. I'm making a nice batch of chicken tomato and barley soup now.
Good luck KCCC, you will have a good day!
If need be, just dump the halloween candy if you find it so hard to leave till the weekend. It's not like throwing out real food.
Have a nice one!
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:33 pm

Barley! I LOVE barley, and rarely have it because it takes so long to cook.

Thanks for mentioning it - I've got some cooking now, along with a butternut squash roasting in the oven. Yum! :)

I've realized today that it's not so much the Halloween candy - most of that is really nasty anyway - as the "permasnacking" habit having crept back up on me. I tend to open the pantry and get a handful of nuts or trail mix when I'm at home. And that "I'm allowed!" S-day defiance isn't totally gone. Better than it was - the "three meals" helps a LOT - but still...

Something to work on with my S-days. But today is an N-day, and I am managing it.

winnie96

re Barley

Post by winnie96 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:07 am

KCCC -- Have you ever tried hulled barley (vs. pearl barley)? (Oddly, "hulled" sounds like it would be a lesser version, but in this case it means that only the tough outer layers are removed, and the bran layer remains intact. The pearl version has the outer bran layer removed).

I've only been able to find it in a health food store, but it's really very good and very satisfying to eat. The grains are somewhat bigger and chewier. I think it has a bit more fiber, too. I put it many of my soups, but also have it as a grain with dinner.

Alas, it does take forever to cook, and you have to keep checking that there's enough water so it doesn't scorch, etc. -- a total nuisance. But I've had good luck cooking it in the microwave in a big bowl with lots and lots of water; it gets done a bit more quickly, and you can just drain off the excess water. I make enough for a few days. (It just occurred to me that I should see how well it freezes).

I adore barley, but during my Diet Years stayed away from it. The No-S Diet has enabled me to bring favorite foods like this back into my menus -- gotta love it!

Anyway, just a couple of tips (and, possibly, more than you really wanted to know about barley) from a fellow Barley Fan ...

kccc

Re: re Barley

Post by kccc » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:45 am

winnie96 wrote:KCCC -- Have you ever tried hulled barley (vs. pearl barley)? (Oddly, "hulled" sounds like it would be a lesser version, but in this case it means that only the tough outer layers are removed, and the bran layer remains intact. The pearl version has the outer bran layer removed).

I adore barley, but during my Diet Years stayed away from it. The No-S Diet has enabled me to bring favorite foods like this back into my menus -- gotta love it!
I think that's what I have. I get it in bulk at a health food store, and it takes about an hour and a half to cook. No label, though, so I can't double-check.

Tonight I started with a chopped onion, cooked in a little olive oil until it started to caramelize in the bottom of the pan, then threw in the barley and chicken broth, and added a couple of chopped carrots. Toward the end, I added some leftover peas.

I could LIVE on this for days! And the roasted squash was good too.

I totally agree that No-S allows us to eat favorite foods with no guilt. I really love complex grains, and eat more of them on No-S. They're so much more satisfying than processed stuff!

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:59 pm

Just a quick thank-you to all of you for being here. It really helped with Monday and Tuesday at home.

Back at work now, so the pattern of the day is easier.

You are a great group, and I really appreciate you all! :)

Merry

Post by Merry » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:52 pm

gingercake wrote:As usual, I'm really glad it's Monday. Thursday was a red day, then Friday was yellow for Halloween, then the weekend... .
It's good to hear I'm not the only one who had a few struggles this weekend! Here's to getting back on track!

Merry :-)
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:54 pm

KCCC wrote:Just a quick thank-you to all of you for being here. It really helped with Monday and Tuesday at home.

Back at work now, so the pattern of the day is easier.

You are a great group, and I really appreciate you all! :)
Ditto! ;)
8) Debs x
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness