"Americans eat all the time. What anguish must be their

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Happy Cooker

"Americans eat all the time. What anguish must be their

Post by Happy Cooker » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:13 pm

Quoted in the May 2009 Harper's Magazine, from Charles Dantzig's "Liste des Americains" in his Encyclopedie capricieuse du tout et du rien, published in France, along with other observations about "us Murricans."

He does have a point about the constant snacking and its connection to depression, for lack of a better word.

Daisy73

Post by Daisy73 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:20 pm

Personally, I feel less stress eating this way. Instead of trying to eat healthy all day, now I just have to focus on that three times a day.

Happy Cooker

To clarify . .

Post by Happy Cooker » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:41 pm

The full quote (cut off in the subject line) is "Americans eat all the time. What anguish must be theirs!"

I agree, it is less stressful eating this way. Permasnacking, as someone else here called it, can be a response to stress and paradoxically ends up causing more stress. Is this an example of a negative feedback loop?

dockanz

Post by dockanz » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:37 pm

I have only been doing this NoS thing for about 2 weeks, but I find the structure here reassuring. On the weekends, I remain a permasnacker, which I don't much care for as I am constantly thinking about food. During the week, I typically think about it at meal times.
Make the Better Choice