Blackstrap molasses, Brother & Soy Nuts

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

bluebunny27

Blackstrap molasses, Brother & Soy Nuts

Post by bluebunny27 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:59 pm

I think it was Brother John who was sayin' he enjoys having blackstrap molasses daily.

I was reading about it yesterday and it seems like a fine product, lots of iron and whatnot. Really hard to find though, I was at the grocery store earlier and I tried to find it in there, no-go ... I checked online for the local stores too, they only had regular molasses ... not the same as Blackstrap apparently ... ;-) I'll try at a couple of other stores nearby to check if they have some, I think it's sold in glass bottles usually ?? Do you get this at your local grocery store, Brother ??

I researched this a lil' bit, seems like many people are having a hard time finding the product, I'll keep looking though.
http://www.bgfoods.com/brand_brerrabbit.asp
Look at the bunnies on the labels there, awesome !! ;-)

I picked up unsalted soy nuts while I was at the store, I know those are very nutritious as well, lots of fiber, proteins, minerals, etc. I'll add a pinch of those to my daily diet.

Marc ;-)

brotherjohn

Post by brotherjohn » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:13 pm

Good morning, marc!

And thanks for the plug for blackstrap!

Here is the product I ordered:

http://www.amazon.com/Blackstrap-Molass ... 508&sr=1-3

The postage cost more than the product, but I only eat a spoonful (TEA or TABLE) each day, so I think it will last me a long, long time. I keep it in the refrigerator so it doesn't go bad.

As I posted before, since I got my heart stents my MD has told me to only take arthritis meds on an "as needed" basis, rather than daily. A folk remedy that I was given was to eat 6 olives, 6 pecans, some fish oilt capsules, and a spoon of blackstrap each day. (I suspect that the olives and pecans have some good fatty acids, and the blackstrap has iron, calcium, and some trace minterals). I have found that this addition to my supper also seems to make me less hungry. It is the satiety that comes from being well-nourished.

I think that blackstrap falls into the category of foods that I call "nutrients you don't get anywhere else." When you eat a can of sardines, you eat cooked organ meats and soft bones, and all sorts of trace minerals you don't get anywhere else. Same principle with blackstrap.

Be sure to recoginze the difference between blackstrap and regular molasses. I put 2 teaspoons of regular molasses in my oats most mornings--as a sweetner. Regular molasses has a smidge of iron, vitamins, and I suspect some trace things that are not listed. But if you ate much molasses in your oats, you should count it as an S.

I put blackstrap in my oats one morning, and really didn't enjoy them. Blackstrap is very, very black. It has a dark, sweet, strong, slightly bitter taste. I take it with a spoon after supper, and feel stronger and very virtuous!

blessings,

John
"Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand." --St. Paul

Read my free weekly devotional rural adventures at:

www.countrypreacherdad.com

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:10 pm

Wow, thanks for the link, Brother, I'll check it out. I am planning on going to a different grocery store later today actually to pick up a few items and also see if they have blackstrap molasses there at the same time.

I researched this a lil' bit yesterday ... regular molasse is good for you too (In moderation of course !) ... lots of iron but blackstrap molasses is even better, it's like a super fortifying molasse really ... I don't really care about the taste, as long as it'S good for me, I'll just dissolve it in another liquid, or put a lil' bit on oatmeal so it goes down easy. ;-)

I hope I can get that kind. It has even more iron and calcium and a lot less calories than the regular molasse too so I'll try hard to find some around here or maybe even order some online if I can't locate it at a store nearby ... I'll try to find a good health food store to find some of those items. In the meantime I'll have a tablespoon of regular molasse daily.

I was also checking out soy milk, I really liked the taste of the unsalted soy nuts I bought yesterday and those are mighty good for you too, so I think I'd like to have a lil' bit of soy milk as well on a daily basis. Supposed to be awesome, lots of calcium (added) and minerals too.

Marc ;-)

noni

Post by noni » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:17 am

I always had an iron deficiency when I was pregnant so I was force-fed iron pills from my doctor. They didn't agree with me so I found a molasses called Haddon House which Acme sold ( can't find it now ) and it had a very high iron content, much more than "Grandma's" molasses.

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:31 am

Yes, that's what I have now, a tablespoon of G'ma molasses a day, a good source of iron and calcium but there are better ones (I don't want to take vitamins, I'd rather eat well and not bother with vitamins and supplements)

I'll have to investigate this a bit further to find another brand that would be better ... I'll also try to find blackstrap molasses ... I'm in Canada and often US distributors don't ship their products over here.

That's what I like to do : Investigate the different types and brands of molasses. ;-)

Marc

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:45 am

I have no clue where you are located Marc, but I googled around a bit and it's supposed to be available at some place in Canada called "The Bulk Barn"
Maybe there's one near you?
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:50 am

Wow, thanks Debs !

This store looks fine, I'll check it out later to see if they can ship items to customers, that sort of thing. It might be a good place to get hard to find items.

P.S. I'm near Montreal. ;-)

Marc

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:16 am

You're welcome :)
Maybe there's one in Montreal.
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

brotherjohn

Post by brotherjohn » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:26 pm

I forgot to tell you, the brand I posted has a photo of molasses in a jar in the advertisement. I was worried it might get broken in shipping. When it arrived I was pleased to find that it came in a really neat heavy plastic jug. It looked like one of those water jugs from the 1800's--the kind that had a ring to put your finger in to carry it, and a cork for a stopper!
"Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand." --St. Paul

Read my free weekly devotional rural adventures at:

www.countrypreacherdad.com

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:10 pm

Yes, I saw the photo, I thought it looked good .. like a vintage bottle. I don't mind KICKIN' IT OLD SCHOOL personally. ;-) It seems like a very healthy choice for you, Brother.

Marc ;-)