V8 Juice - love this stuff!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

amarbach

V8 Juice - love this stuff!

Post by amarbach » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:22 pm

I had tried NOS before and always struggled with in between meals hunger. I am on day 3 now and find that about 8 ounces half-way between meals really is satisfying.
Thought someone might find this helpful.
Alexandra

brotherjohn

Post by brotherjohn » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:41 pm

I think you are certainly within the letter of the law, the spirit of the law, and all-around smart thinking! :)

I really struggled with No-S in past years, but have been successful since January of this year. One of the main differences is that I now allow myself 8 ounces of soy milk (I am allergic to cow's milk) or 8 ounces of orange juice between each meal. I don't usually have 3 glasses in a day, but I can if I need it.

V8 would be an excellent choice (if it works well for you) because it is really high in nutrients and very low in calories. I may try it myself!
"Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand." --St. Paul

Read my free weekly devotional rural adventures at:

www.countrypreacherdad.com

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:06 pm

Tomato juice is usually a pretty good choice but you have to check the labels ... some brands have a lot of salt/sodium included so they may be a WOLF in SHEEP'S CLOTHING ... ;-)

I don't know about V8's salt/sodium content at the moment though.

The very best thing is usually to have the plain fruits or vegetables, this way you know it hasn't been MESSED WITH. A plain tomato, celery, cucumber ... whatever they include in the V8 juice .... will always be better for you than any sort of processed tomato juice. You cut up some of the veggies included in the V8 and put 'em in a small bowl by yourself.

That's what I basically do, eating many different types of cut up vegetables, plain and raw. Celery, cucumber, carrots, Bell peppers ... if you're at work when you snack like that you can cut up a few veggies and put them in a plastic container in the office's refrigerator with a 'HANDS OFF !!' label on top of it.

Marc ;-)

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:28 pm

I love V8 and tomato juice. There's some controversy about sodium -- not all of those in the know think that sodium is much of an issue for everyone.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/07/scien ... .html?_r=1
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:49 pm

I have low blood pressure, and I'm convinced that without my predilection for salty foods, I would be passed out on the floor most of the time.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:19 pm

Thalia wrote:I have low blood pressure, and I'm convinced that without my predilection for salty foods, I would be passed out on the floor most of the time.
I've always said the same thing and one of my daughters is the same way. In fact, when she was little she used to pour salt in her hand and eat it. I was concerned and mentioned it to the pediatrician. He said, "She probably needs it; don't worry about it."
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

amarbach

Salt

Post by amarbach » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:26 pm

marcdesbiens wrote:Tomato juice is usually a pretty good choice but you have to check the labels ... some brands have a lot of salt/sodium included so they may be a WOLF in SHEEP'S CLOTHING ... ;-)

The very best thing is usually to have the plain fruits or vegetables, this way you know it hasn't been MESSED WITH. A plain tomato, celery, cucumber ... whatever they include in the V8 juice .... will always be better for you than any sort of processed tomato juice. You cut up some of the veggies included in the V8 and put 'em in a small bowl by yourself.

That's what I basically do, eating many different types of cut up vegetables, plain and raw. Celery, cucumber, carrots, Bell peppers ... if you're at work when you snack like that you can cut up a few veggies and put them in a plastic container in the office's refrigerator with a 'HANDS OFF !!' label on top of it.

Marc ;-)
You are right about the salt. I buy the stuff with the light green cap (low sodium) for that reason. It is strange how much salt the regular stuff has and yet you would not think it tasted salty at all!
A

wosnes

Re: Salt

Post by wosnes » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:45 pm

amarbach wrote:
marcdesbiens wrote:Tomato juice is usually a pretty good choice but you have to check the labels ... some brands have a lot of salt/sodium included so they may be a WOLF in SHEEP'S CLOTHING ... ;-)

Marc ;-)
You are right about the salt. I buy the stuff with the light green cap (low sodium) for that reason. It is strange how much salt the regular stuff has and yet you would not think it tasted salty at all!
A
But I really notice a difference, and a not so pleasant one, in the low-sodium variety.

vmelo

Post by vmelo » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:58 pm

I envy those who like V8. I love fruits and veggies, but I just cannot stomach V8. My husband, who eats tons of butter, eggs, fried foods, etc. (and is thin, I might add! :x ) actually likes V8. It's one of the few healthy things he consumes.

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:24 pm

I don't like any canned juice much -- they either taste metallic or rancid to me. I do like Bloody Marys, though.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:08 pm

vmelo wrote:I envy those who like V8. I love fruits and veggies, but I just cannot stomach V8. My husband, who eats tons of butter, eggs, fried foods, etc. (and is thin, I might add! :x ) actually likes V8. It's one of the few healthy things he consumes.
I agree. It's full of good stuff, but I find it undrinkable.

I think there's a flavor in it that I don't like, but can't quite identify it.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:37 pm

vmelo wrote:I envy those who like V8. I love fruits and veggies, but I just cannot stomach V8. My husband, who eats tons of butter, eggs, fried foods, etc. (and is thin, I might add! :x ) actually likes V8. It's one of the few healthy things he consumes.
There's some thought now that butter and eggs aren't as unhealthy as we've been taught. My own experience suggests that this might be true.

The last couple of days I've been wondering what and how we'd eat if various experts (not to mention Big Food, media and advertising) weren't around to "guide" us. It seems the more information they give us, the more confused, unhealthy and fat we get!

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:38 pm

[quote="wosnes
The last couple of days I've been wondering what and how we'd eat if various experts (not to mention Big Food, media and advertising) weren't around to "guide" us. It seems the more information they give us, the more confused, unhealthy and fat we get![/quote]

I highly recommend Michael Pollen's "In defense of food: an eater's manifesto". It addresses this point and the issue of "nutrients" in a very readable manner.

P.S. Guess I don't know how to do the quote thing...

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:48 pm

guadopt1997 wrote:[quote="wosnes
The last couple of days I've been wondering what and how we'd eat if various experts (not to mention Big Food, media and advertising) weren't around to "guide" us. It seems the more information they give us, the more confused, unhealthy and fat we get!
I highly recommend Michael Pollen's "In defense of food: an eater's manifesto". It addresses this point and the issue of "nutrients" in a very readable manner.

P.S. Guess I don't know how to do the quote thing...[/quote]

I bought and read Pollan's book the day it came out!

MonkeyWoMan

Post by MonkeyWoMan » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:38 am

wosnes wrote:
Thalia wrote:I have low blood pressure, and I'm convinced that without my predilection for salty foods, I would be passed out on the floor most of the time.
I've always said the same thing and one of my daughters is the same way. In fact, when she was little she used to pour salt in her hand and eat it. I was concerned and mentioned it to the pediatrician. He said, "She probably needs it; don't worry about it."
wow that's cool. Guess humans are in tune with their nutritional requirements to some degree.