Carb gain

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Marianna

Carb gain

Post by Marianna » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:50 pm

Whoa. I have gained several pounds after two weeks on NoS. A little background--I lost quite a bit of weight on low carb, and finally got really really sick of that kind of lifestyle. About two months ago, I started eating carbs again. In that time, I was trying to eat when hungry and eat what I wanted--but in the last couple of weeks, what I have wanted is carbs. Nothing refined--oatmeal, fruit, starchy veg--I would say my diet is 80 percent whole food vegetarian, with some protein for the evening meal. I don't eat many sweets, even on S days, except for a bran muffin or a few bites of a shared dessert at a restaurant. Despite my very healthy lifestyle, I am rapidly gaining weight. By the way, I have for years tracked my calories and food, because I like to, and I would say I am eating less then 1700 calories most days and I exercise most days.

I am really really sad, because I think this tells me that I have to really back off the carbs. I refuse to eliminate them, but this can't continue. I guess I hoped the NoS lifestyle would take care of this problem, but I suspect my years of lowcarbing have done something to me.

Thanks for listening

Marianna

vmsurbat

Re: Carb gain

Post by vmsurbat » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:19 pm

Marianna wrote:Whoa. I have gained several pounds after two weeks on NoS. A little background--I lost quite a bit of weight on low carb, and finally got really really sick of that kind of lifestyle. About two months ago, I started eating carbs again. In that time, I was trying to eat when hungry and eat what I wanted--but in the last couple of weeks, what I have wanted is carbs. Nothing refined--oatmeal, fruit, starchy veg--I would say my diet is 80 percent whole food vegetarian, with some protein for the evening meal. I don't eat many sweets, even on S days, except for a bran muffin or a few bites of a shared dessert at a restaurant. Despite my very healthy lifestyle, I am rapidly gaining weight. By the way, I have for years tracked my calories and food, because I like to, and I would say I am eating less then 1700 calories most days and I exercise most days.

I am really really sad, because I think this tells me that I have to really back off the carbs. I refuse to eliminate them, but this can't continue. I guess I hoped the NoS lifestyle would take care of this problem, but I suspect my years of lowcarbing have done something to me.

Thanks for listening

Marianna
Although I can readily understand your disappointment in weight gain, I wouldn't immediately switch back to a lowcarb diet. If I understood your post correctly, you have only been following NoS principles for a couple of weeks. I think it takes about 3 months to begin reaping the most benefits of "the NoS lifestyle."

So, don't give up hope. I think it is much too soon to start pinpointing culprits in your weight gain. The first thought I had was that you are experiencing some water gain from the carbs, especially if indulging to a greater extent that you used to. That is water gain, not fat gain, and will dissipate over time. FWIW, when I first started NoS, I found that I experienced several weeks of bloatedness--I'm not sure why-- but it went away and has not been a recurring problem.

If you are struggling with keeping NoS principles (No snacks, sweets, or seconds), I recommend you focus on getting those habits. If you have them down, I would focus on developing moderate meals--it sounds like you might have gone from one extreme (almost no carbs) to another (indulging in carbs).

It is possible that your years of lowcarb are having an effect, but I think that beginning and maintaining a diet of moderation for the long haul may overcome many of those problems. I suggest a trial run of AT LEAST 3 months of moderation.

It sounds like you have a good sense for healthy eating in general. I personally find the "eat what you want" idea unhelpful in the long run. I know that I have to plan meals around both what I want and what is good for me--in that way I get the best balance. If I focus only on what I "feel" like eating, I miss out on some important food groups (eg. fruit--I like fruit and know it is good for me, but I rarely "feel" like eating fruit.) Thus, most of the time, I choose to eat fresh fruit because I know it is good for me, not because of any great desire for the fruit itself.

HTH,
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:00 pm

I agree that you are probably seeing water retention, which will resolve itself. But I'm sure it's tremendously frustrating in the meantime!

brotherjohn

Post by brotherjohn » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:32 pm

I think it takes about 3 months to begin reaping the most benefits of "the NoS lifestyle."
I agree with Vicki. This has certainly been my experience, and I am enjoying the plan and having good results now. But...it takes a little time for your body to change over.
"Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand." --St. Paul

Read my free weekly devotional rural adventures at:

www.countrypreacherdad.com

apomerantz

Post by apomerantz » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:32 pm

The first thought I had was that you are experiencing some water gain from the carbs
I'm pretty sure this is what you are experiencing. On a low carb diet, your muscles have very little glycogen stored in them. Glycogen is coupled with water. So, the amazing weight loss you see in the first week of a low carb diet is water.

So, if you go off the low carb diet, those fluids are doing to come back.

It's still annoying - - so I'm empathetic to your feelings. But on the other hand, you may not want to eat low carb for life . . .I know I didn't. I think you'll experience this initial water weight gain regardless of diet plan (cept more low carb), so maybe just write it off mentally as a one time thing and then go from there.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:50 pm

One of my sister in laws has been on and off low carb for years. I loaned The No S Diet book to another sister in law who showed it to the low carb sister in law. She was quite dismissive of No S: It's just common sense. I'll lose weight faster than you will.

My response to her was that I don't want to lose weight fast. I want to lose weight permanently.

I last saw her at Thanksgiving when I weighed around 205. Today I weighed 200. Not much of a difference. However, the weight is not coming back. By the end of the year, I'm hoping to weigh below 193.5. Since I started out at 215 in early September, 193.5 would represent a 10% loss in body weight. Not bad for a diet that is easy and takes very little time!

Kathleen

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:09 pm

I'm kind of low-carbing myself right now. But not Atkins hugely high fat. I eat lots of vegetables and a salad at lunch, and strawberries at dinner when they're around. Just no bread, pasta, or starchy vegetables, and, of course, no sweets. On weekends, I snack on nuts if I get hungry or just feel like having a treat.

I did it for a month when I first started no-S, then went about 7 weeks eating all kinds of things (following no-S rules, except when I travelled to deal with my mother's affairs when she passed away in February) and maintained my low-carb weight loss plus lost 2-3 more pounds.

I'm planning to low-carb 'til memorial day weekend, but no biggie if I stop earlier.
Liz
Weight goal: less than I weigh now
Basic goal: doing no-S for life

Marianna

Post by Marianna » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:31 pm

just to be clear, I reintroduced carbs a few months ago--so whatever water weight I was gonna gain, I should have gained then. What has been different with NoS is that I have given myself a little more leeway to eat carbs at every meal: oatmeal and raisins for breakfast, fruit and starchy vegetables for lunch, whole wheat pasta for dinner. I am wondering if I am really carb sensitive--reacting badly to pasta and fruit etc--I don't intend to go back to lowcarb--I know I can't. But I am thinking about eliminating the fruit for awhile, and maybe sticking with hearty salads for lunch and saving my carbs for dinner. I don't know. I do agree with sticking to NoS--I am loving No S--I just feel unable to cope with weight gain rather then loss!

Marianna

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:04 pm

Marianna wrote:just to be clear, I reintroduced carbs a few months ago--so whatever water weight I was gonna gain, I should have gained then. What has been different with NoS is that I have given myself a little more leeway to eat carbs at every meal: oatmeal and raisins for breakfast, fruit and starchy vegetables for lunch, whole wheat pasta for dinner. I am wondering if I am really carb sensitive--reacting badly to pasta and fruit etc--I don't intend to go back to lowcarb--I know I can't. But I am thinking about eliminating the fruit for awhile, and maybe sticking with hearty salads for lunch and saving my carbs for dinner. I don't know. I do agree with sticking to NoS--I am loving No S--I just feel unable to cope with weight gain rather then loss!

Marianna
What struck me in your original post was your line "but in the last couple of weeks, what I have wanted is carbs." And based on what you say you were eating recently, I still think your weight gain can be water gain due to the increase in carbs.

I still stick with my recommendation of waiting three months of moderate eating before adding more restrictions for yourself. Part of the problem of restricting "carbs" is that it is a huge category of food: salads are just as much carbs as pasta and fruit.

Edited to add: One of the best things about NoS is the *freedom* many of us gain when following its commonsense principles--the diet mentality is gone forever. I would hate to see you shortchange yourself in this. However, you can *do* what you feel is best: NoS is a few strict guidelines (No sweets, snacks, or seconds); the rest is up to us.

Wishing you even greater NoS success,
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!