no s foods

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Jeanne

no s foods

Post by Jeanne » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:23 am

Exactly what should I be eating on n days? Should I be measuring my portions? Can I really have anything I want? Except sweets,snacks or seconds What is everyone else doing to be successful, since I'm not having any success with losing yet. It's been four months. I've lost one pound. I'm only 4'9" tall and I'm 62 years old. What to do? :?

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:15 am

Hi Jeanne! Four months without losing has to be very frustrating.

You really are allowed to eat anything you want for your meals, as long as it's not a sweet and it fits easily on your plate. That is the beauty of No S! No fake foods, no forbidden foods, and the only measuring you do is based on plate size -- if it doesn't fit, it's too much.

You are quite petite, and I'm sure that makes it harder to lose. I can suggest a couple of things that you might already have tried or not, but might be helpful:
  • Make sure every meal includes fruits and vegetables.
    You don't have to fill your plate, if you're satisfied with less. You just might not have very high calorie requirements, so small meals might be plenty for you?
    Soups, veggies, and high-fiber foods are very filling and satisfying.
    IMO, although I don't think it's a rule, it's best if most of your meals look like a MEAL -- several different prepared foods, with different flavors and nutrients. Pasta with sauce and a little salad beside it, or a sandwich and an apple, some pieces of sushi and edamame, or waffles and strawberries or whatever. You can for instance technically eat a plate of nachos and call it lunch, as long as it isn't heaped up all over the plate, but I don't think that's a great idea on a regular basis.
    By the same token, I think it's a good idea to mostly eat fresh, not-super-processed foods.
And, if possible, walk a lot.

I hope some of this is useful!

noni

Post by noni » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:51 am

Jeanne,

What size are your plates? I eat off of an 8 1/2 luncheon plate for dinner and lunch. Sometimes for lunch I'll even eat from a dessert plate. I could still fit a sandwich and several chips on it. My breakfasts consists of a small bowl of cold cereal with whole milk or hot cereal. I'm rather small framed so I don't require much food but I eat anything I like irregardless of fat, carbs etc...

I have a friend (woman) who is 6 ft tall. We go out to breakfast now and then and anything that her three children leave behind on their plates goes into her mouth. I'm always astonished over how much she can eat and maintain a normal weight. It doesn't seem fair :? Of course, she is a more careful eater at home; won't eat anything past 7pm.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:55 am

How much weight do you need to lose?

For some of us, including myself, the real advantage of this diet is that it cures disordered eating. Weight loss is a secondary goal.

If that's the case with you, accept that weight loss may be slow.

As for me, I had modified No S to be that I can eat whatever is before me. I started in September literally eating whole bowls of popcorn at mealtime. My eating was very disordered.

Eventually, things calmed down -- like in January.

You may be close to having things calm down. When I've tried to add rules, it's backfired.

Kathleen

dockanz

Post by dockanz » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:06 pm

This was the point I made the other day when I asked about different size people (I'm 6'4"). I agree with many of the points that have already been given though, particularly about chosing a smaller plate.
Make the Better Choice

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:25 pm

On the one hand, yes, it's true, you can eat anything you want on this "diet". On the other hand, you've got to use some common sense. You can't eat plates full of very calorie dense foods 3x daily, day in and day out, and expect to lose weight -- especially at your height -- unless you are very active. And then you probably wouldn't have much issues with your weight! :)

I personally eat more of the less calorie dense foods (vegetables and fruits, especially leafy greens) and less of the more calorie dense foods.

Do you need to measure portions? No. But you can look at your plate and make sure that it's 1/2 vegetables, 1/4 starch and 1/4 protein -- automatic portion control. You can use smaller plates. I don't do that, but my dinner plates have a raised edge 2" wide. The plates are 10-1/2 inches in diameter with 6-1/2 inches in the middle. My food (usually) stays in the middle.

You can eat two lighter meals and one more substantial meal. That's pretty much what I do. For me, breakfast and lunch are lighter, dinner is more substantial, but usually not a really "heavy" meal.

And, you need to get some kind of exercise. The less you exercise, the less you move, the fewer calories you can consume. That doesn't necessarily mean going to the gym (a place you'll never find me), but doing something -- urban rangering, taking the stairs more often, just more movement in your life. Not only are we less physically active than our ancestors, but we tend to get less active as we age. I'm just a little younger than you and I know I'm much less active than I used to be.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Jeanne

Post by Jeanne » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:51 pm

I have 50 or 60 pounds to lose. :oops: I love to exercise and I've always exercised a lot in the past, but now I am very limited in what I can do especially for aerobics. This is very frustrating for me,since I enjoy being very active and now I can't tolerate a lot of what I used to do. It makes me sad when someone says exercise more. I can't.I still exercise three times a week for 45 minutes to an hour at a time. One class is yoga. I strength train and do limited aerobics (but some). I am trying to avoid knee replacement surgery.If I lose weight I might not need surgery and I might be able to do more aerobics. It is so frustrating. I have a thyroid problem, I'm 4'9", I'm 62,. This all works against me. Plus I like good food. I'm still trying. At least I'm not gaining any weight.
Jeanne

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:06 pm

I think we have a really misplaced sense of what "exercise" is. Most of the slim people around the world don't "exercise" as we think of it. They just move more day to day -- walking, carrying things and so on -- more movement in daily life.

I've never been an exerciser, but I always moved more in daily life than I do now. Changes in work and life have created that. If someone were to tell me that I have to go someplace and workout for 30-45 minutes or more, I'll tell them they're absolutely nuts. It ain't gonna happen. Ever.

Anyway...what about swimming or a rebounder? Both easy on the joints.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

apomerantz

Post by apomerantz » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:34 pm

I think wosnes is giving some very good advice. It is harder when you are petite.

Swimming might be an excellent exercise for you - - especially if you liked exercising before. It is aerobic, but it also has a nice overall toning effect on your body. If you can't kick because of your knee, you can use a pull buoy (a flotation device that holds up your legs) and just use your arms.

Even though No S is amazing for developing good habits, I do think that it is possible to overeat on it - - especially if your calorie requirements are low like ours are. I've managed my way around that by exercising frequently and with good intensity plus weight training. Though you may not be able to do any lower body weight lifting, maybe you could still do free weights with your arms? And core work? (crunches?).

Are there some healthy foods that you really love that you could incorporate frequently into your meals so that you still enjoy them, but maybe keep a bit of a rein on the calories. I love fruit - - especially berries, peaches, and mangos - - so I try to have those daily and at a couple of meals.

But I also love chili - - so I make a homemade version with lowfat ground beef or turkey and lots of vegetables and black beans. So it's a healthy, but still very tasty rendition. A magazine called Eating Well has WONDERFUL recipes that are healthy and taste great. I cook from it frequently and really enjoy the foods. I do feel like on no S that every meal is an opportunity to eat well, and I rarely pile on the junk foods (chips or processed foods) onto my plate. I don't miss them at all.

I'm sorry it is so frustrating. There's no doubt in my mind that it is harder for short ones like us (I'm five foot). Also, have you ruled out any hormonal issue (thyroid) with your physician??? That's a common issue that could hinder weight loss.