Satisfaction is a good thing

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

BirdieGirl

Satisfaction is a good thing

Post by BirdieGirl » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:40 am

Hi everyone :-)
I'm new to this board, and glad to be here.
I've started the no S life style, and I got to say I love it! I get hungry between meals, which lays to rest the anxiety I've always felt when spacing out all my nutrients between snacks. I'm only thinking about healthful eating three times a day! Whew, what a relief. When I feel that rumble in my tummy, I know I'm using more energy than I'm burning, and that feels good. The calorie counting was killing me, every time I wanted to sit down to eat with my family I was at the computer dissecting my food. NOT a fun way to eat!
Yesterday I had an odd thing happen, after a glorious dinner of fresh spinach greens and fried rice, I was just so HAPPY! And I thought, "so this is what it is to be SATISFIED by a meal?"
I have quite a bit of weight to lose, well over the 100lb mark. Sure to be a challenge, but I'm off to a good start. I'm down 11.5 pounds in two weeks! Too much for some, but people my size tend to lose quick at first.

janmarie

Post by janmarie » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:19 am

hi and welcome! that's great about the weight loss! yes, i think regular 'diets' keep one so focused on food! that's what i love about no-s, you eat and then you are done. you eat the things you like without guilt. later on down the road one can slowly add or subtract if necessary but one change at a time.

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:08 pm

Wow, eleven pounds is great. Congrats, I will follow your progress, please keep updating. Welcome, I am new as well.

It does take a bit of getting used to, eating real meals like we were intended to. And actually enjoying the plate of food.

Last night, I ate my grilled fish filet, brownrice with mushrooms, slice of cornbread with butter, tea - and that was it. I was finished for the day.

The fact that later my husband ate some of the cherrytopped cheesecake our daughter in law dropped by had no bearing on me.

Why? because I was finished eating for the day.

If I want cheesecake on Saturday (and it is still here) I might eat a piece.

Sue

TunaFishKid

Re: Satisfaction is a good thing

Post by TunaFishKid » Fri May 01, 2009 3:18 pm

BirdieGirl wrote:Hi everyone :-)
...And I thought, "so this is what it is to be SATISFIED by a meal?"...
HI, BirdieGirl! I know what you mean. My husband and I ate at a favorite Mexican restaurant last night and the food was the best it's ever been! I thought they might have hired a new chef. Then I realized it probably tasted so good because I hadn't been grazing all day long and was actually hungry when I sat down to eat.

Congratulations on you fabulous progress!

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Fri May 01, 2009 4:13 pm

Awesome work, Birdie ! This diet gets you to think differently about food and make better choices for yourself since you have some limitations ... and you're only using one plate. ;-) Anyway I am glad cos' I think good food gives you a lot more energy as well. Check out the board's stickies up top and you can find a lot of information related to food, so you know what to choose next time you're at the grocery store.

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

khristal23

Post by khristal23 » Fri May 01, 2009 4:26 pm

StrawberryRoan wrote:
If I want cheesecake on Saturday (and it is still here) I might eat a piece.

Sue
Exactly this! My husband had some delicious homemade vanilla bluebell ice cream last night, and though it looked tasty, I just reminded myself not to panic or get upset because I can't have it today, I can have it this weekend. I just need to be sure to not have too much of it this weekend. That will be the real challenge I think!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri May 01, 2009 5:20 pm

Welcome, Birdie, and congratulations on your striking success so far!

Even more important is how much you're enjoying it.

A little hunger between meals can seem scary at first because people are so unaccustomed to it nowadays, but it's vastly better than all that anxiety -- especially since, as people soon discover, a little hunger is actually a GOOD thing, when it comes at the right time, as you'll train it to.

As Socrates and your grandma knew, "appetite is the best sauce."

Reinhard

BirdieGirl

Post by BirdieGirl » Sat May 02, 2009 2:36 pm

Thanks for all your kind welcomes!
Funny this is called the grandma diet--This is actually just how my grandma eats! She used to be overweight until she was diagnosed diabetic a decade ago, and, sure enough, getting rid of snacks and sweets helped to regulate her blood sugar and loose 40 pounds. I'm not one to drink daily, but I had a couple of beers before dinner last night. Bonus: Two beers will get you waaay more buzzed on an empty stomach :wink: