S days are difficult to overcome

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ProfCalderon

S days are difficult to overcome

Post by ProfCalderon » Tue May 12, 2009 7:36 pm

Hi there,
I've been on the No S diet for only a short period of time (about 2 weeks). After only a couple of days, I got the hang of it and the rest of the days went fine. However, when the S days come along and I eat snacks or sweets (small amounts) it becomes very difficult to resume the regular NoSdiet afterwords. The cravings come back and it becomes hard to re-adjust to the diet. So, I've decided that my diet should be the same for all the days of the week. Mostly the regular "vanilla" NoSDiet but I've added a fruit snack a couple of hours after dinner to hold me over. And I also drink hot tea with some sweetner between meals. I welcome your feedback.
Only the present moment is real

TunaFishKid

Post by TunaFishKid » Tue May 12, 2009 7:43 pm

I noticed something similar. I've had only two weekends so far, but I found that I'm not crazy about my S days. I'm thinking of having only one snack on S days, instead of throwing all rules overboard. All last week I was looking forward to a soft-serve chocolate ice cream cone on Saturday or Sunday, but I grazed non-stop all weekend and never wanted the ice cream. :cry: I really think I might do better with just one treat.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue May 12, 2009 9:31 pm

I've never found S days to be difficult to overcome. If you start to restrict them more, you're defeating their purpose, I think.

Remember, S days aren't meant to be a license to go wild, but to relax and enjoy yourself and eat without guilt in social situations.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

ProfCalderon

S days are difficult to overcome...

Post by ProfCalderon » Tue May 12, 2009 9:55 pm

I have a really bad sweet tooth, and a lot of extra weight to lose. So, loosening the restrictions on the weekend is causing havoc with my psyche. I want to smooth things out by making the S days as similar as possible to the N days, with some exceptions for Special days. Jumping on and off the proverbial wagon is more difficult for me and in the end makes the S days less rewarding due to the extra effort I have to make to re-adjust.
Only the present moment is real

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue May 12, 2009 10:00 pm

I'm not trying to overcome them, just accepting them as a phase in this diet. I have a memory of standing in the kitchen with an unwrapped Haagen Dazs bar waiting for the digital clock to register midnight -- Saturdays start at midnight!

butterfly1000

Re: S days are difficult to overcome...

Post by butterfly1000 » Wed May 13, 2009 12:01 pm

ProfCalderon wrote:I have a really bad sweet tooth, and a lot of extra weight to lose. So, loosening the restrictions on the weekend is causing havoc with my psyche. I want to smooth things out by making the S days as similar as possible to the N days, with some exceptions for Special days. Jumping on and off the proverbial wagon is more difficult for me and in the end makes the S days less rewarding due to the extra effort I have to make to re-adjust.
I've been having the same thoughts, i.e. trying to make the S days more like the N days. I too have trouble getting back on track once I've loosened the restrictions, and then at the end of the S days I feel I've ruined everything and it's like I keep starting over every Monday morning. I was thinking of maybe restricting the S days to only one (Saturday OR Sunday) and see how that goes.
Butterfly

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu May 14, 2009 6:56 pm

I think they're a necessary "release valve," so that you don't blow it when the stress builds too much. On the other hand, they don't have to be a free-for-all. Finding a balance between letting them be too strict or too wide open is a balancing act, different for each person.

There's an old post I wrote calledmemo to self, in which I figured out what limits I did or didn't want to place on myself on S-days. I DO eat three meals. I DON'T set a limit on S's, because I would instantly rebel against that.

Oh, and check out the sticky thread above on "S-days gone wild" and the accompanying podcast - many alternatives there.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu May 14, 2009 7:14 pm

I am never sure how to manage my sweet tooth. S days don't work for me personally. The psychology of it isn't good for me - you can have seconds, sweets, snacks... It becomes, well, crazy. So I'm just trying to be good always and if I want something, I have it, once in a while, no matter the day. But that's just me! I couldn't handle two days in a row of doing whatever I wanted.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Thu May 14, 2009 8:29 pm

It's nice to see the different ways that people find to make No S work for them. I have to try and see what will work for me. The No S days are straightforward and very precise, so it's easier to follow (mind you, with all the reds I've been having these days, it doesn't seem easy -- but it has nothing to do with the system -- it has to do with me eating my emotions). With regards to the S days, I'll need to establish some guidelines so that it doesn't become a "free for all", and then making it almost impossible to get back on track by the Monday. I'll keep reading the posts to see if I get an inspiration that will work for me.
Butterfly

amelie

Post by amelie » Mon May 18, 2009 12:45 pm

I've been on No S for almost three months and I love it. I'm finally getting the hang of S days. I've never had a problem with Non-S days; I love the structure and simplicity (unlike WW, when I'd agonize over having a 2-point or 3-point snack). It's taken longer for me to get S days under control. My problem with unstructured time is that it usually leads to unstructured eating (perma-snacking or binging). But this past weekend was interesting - I had no desire to eat the crap I had been eating during past weekends. I realized it wasn't worth it and I didn't crave it.

I have to say I have not lost much, just two pounds, but as I'm trying to lose only 5-10 pounds, I'm happy with it. I'm closer to 50 than 40, menopausal, and I know my metabolism has slowed considerably. But I also know that if I weren't on No S, I would've kept gaining.

noni

Post by noni » Mon May 18, 2009 1:46 pm

I've also been on No S for a little over 3 months and I now have an attitude change about S days. I'm no longer clawing the walls waiting for the weekend and my weekend eating is more discretionary. I was hoping this finally would come about. It just takes some people longer to settle in.