Food, Inc.

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

Food, Inc.

Post by wosnes » Wed May 20, 2009 5:53 pm

"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed May 20, 2009 6:09 pm

Looks interesting.

Thanks for the link!

Reinhard

Happy Camper

Post by Happy Camper » Thu May 21, 2009 3:17 am

I love the line "we vote three times a day"... great article - I read skinny Bitch and I couldn't eat meat now I'm gonna have to grow my own garden I truly believe we need to get back to basics. That's why no s makes so much sense. Now I sound like a commercial and I really think Reinhard should be the next Dr. Oz on Oprah. america needs him!!
From your friend
Happy Camper

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu May 21, 2009 12:37 pm

Happy Camper wrote:I truly believe we need to get back to basics.
Happy Camper
I do, too, but depending on where you live "back to basics" is probably at odds with being vegan and following a vegan diet. If part of your definition of "back to basics" includes eating seasonally and locally, there aren't many places in the world where you can do that and be vegan.

Have you read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver? I also recommend The Jungle Effect by Dr. Daphne Miller. There's a short interview with her in the May/June issue of Eating Well magazine:
http://www.eatingwell.com/news_views/fo ... stors.html
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

marleah

Post by marleah » Thu May 21, 2009 1:04 pm

I do, too, but depending on where you live "back to basics" is probably at odds with being vegan and following a vegan diet. If part of your definition of "back to basics" includes eating seasonally and locally, there aren't many places in the world where you can do that and be vegan.
- wosnes

Actually, veganism can be very basic. Local health food stores and farmers' markets are amazing resources that can provide locally grown and seasonal foods. I live in western Kansas, and although I don't eat local as much as I'd like, I always see ads at my large grocery stores (even Walmart, although I haven't been there for months) that such-and-such comes from a farm 50 or 100 miles away. Also, if you grow your own food, that's local and seasonal right there.

I think what it comes down to are there are two types of basic we are talking about: basic foods (like plants, beans, fruits rather than processed) - in which case a vegan diet is great! then there is basic eating (locally grown, seasonal) which is a little tougher for a vegan to follow year round (well, for anyone to follow all the time). So it depends on what we are talking about.

*hops off soapbox*

Thanks for reading! :)
- vegan grad student -
- 5'2" starting at 140-145 in March 2009 -
- S-Days Saturday and Sunday -

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu May 21, 2009 1:13 pm

marleah wrote:
- wosnes

Actually, veganism can be very basic. Local health food stores and farmers' markets are amazing resources that can provide locally grown and seasonal foods. I live in western Kansas, and although I don't eat local as much as I'd like, I always see ads at my large grocery stores (even Walmart, although I haven't been there for months) that such-and-such comes from a farm 50 or 100 miles away. Also, if you grow your own food, that's local and seasonal right there.

I think what it comes down to are there are two types of basic we are talking about: basic foods (like plants, beans, fruits rather than processed) - in which case a vegan diet is great! then there is basic eating (locally grown, seasonal) which is a little tougher for a vegan to follow year round (well, for anyone to follow all the time). So it depends on what we are talking about.

*hops off soapbox*

Thanks for reading! :)
But to do it year round is usually not possible even if you put up food during the growing season. I'm in Indiana and from the end of October through at least mid-May, the selection of plant foods is very, very slim.