Interesting New Yorker article on Delayed Gratification

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

clio

Interesting New Yorker article on Delayed Gratification

Post by clio » Fri May 29, 2009 1:11 pm

Don't! The secret of self-control byJonah Lehrer

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009 ... hrer?yrail
SW: 154

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Fri May 29, 2009 1:46 pm

Very interesting. I've been reading a lot about early childhood education lately and self regulation is an extremely important skill.

Marianna

Post by Marianna » Fri May 29, 2009 1:47 pm

I read the initial study in graduate school... great article--thanks for posting it. The good news: We can all distract ourselves from the marshmallow!

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri May 29, 2009 2:27 pm

There seems a direct application to No-S... by limiting food to mealtimes, we are able to "distract" ourselves from food the rest of the time, just as those kids did with the marshmallows. No-S structure provides the frame that distances us from the temptation.

I know I used to have this CONSTANT mental chatter about food. "I shouldn't... maybe just one...later, I'll skip x to make up... " - that kind of thing. Always questioning "can I have this" or feeling guilty if I did. Dieting where I "counted" only made it worse.

What I LOVE about No-S is that eating at just mealtimes ends that mental chatter. Then when I DO eat, I can actually enjoy what I have, with no guilt. Imagine!

A well-developed "no snacking" habit is just a great strategy, and I really think it's the single most useful aspect of No-S for me. I can delay my gratification until mealtime (or the weekend, if it really is a marshmallow). :)

StrawberryRoan

Post by StrawberryRoan » Fri May 29, 2009 2:53 pm

I agree that removing the constant food chatter has been the biggest blessing. I am free from worrying about it.

I eat my meal and forget about it until the next meal. Honestly.

BTW, I used to grab a nice soft marshmallow several times a day (I mean, really, it is JUST a little marshmallow) However, the bag has not been touched in over a month.

Since I started here.

:?