cookies are calling!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

~reneew

cookies are calling!

Post by ~reneew » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:40 pm

Someone please hurry and tell me how bad cookies are right now! I refuse to make them or any desert on N days, which has been a wonderful transformation for me since I eat so much dough... but my 4 kids decided to take it upon themselves and bake cookies. Sugar. One of my favorites. And it's only Monday!!!! So much for family support! I know all of the mind-pre-occupiers like take a bath, do your nails, read a book etc. but it's hot out, the windows are shut and it smells too good! I can't leave because my oldest are now gone and my youngest ones are doing the sprinkler. Help!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

Too solid flesh

cookies are calling!

Post by Too solid flesh » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:22 pm

My daughters bake, and this causes most of my red squares. A couple of things that I find help are:
  • Having a baked good as part of a plated meal (it also helps that by mealtime the baking has usually cooled down, and has lost the fresh out of the oven moreishness), and Putting a baked good in the freezer for an S day.

The former is not a perfect solution, but for me it minimises the risk of a binge on forbidden food.
Good luck! You will find a solution which works for you.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:33 pm

Cookies in general are my biggest weakness, too. Sugar cookies in particular. I can pass by just about anything else, but not cookies. One of my mods is that I allow myself 2 standard-sized homebaked cookies daily. If they're not homebaked, I can't have them. Just recently I haven't been baking much, so no cookies on N days.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:12 pm

I would stick 'em in the freezer. And as a parent, I think you're well within bounds to tell the kids to limit their baking to the weekends, at least for a while, because it makes it hard for you and you are the boss of the house.

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:22 am

I can't resist home-baked cookies either Renee. I'm with Thalia...I'd ask the kids to please bake on the weekends when Mommy can share their masterpieces with them - without any guilt.

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:36 am

Tell yourself you can eat whatever you want and however much you want without any guilt but all you have to do is wait a few days.

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:47 pm

Call the Cookie monster, he'll get rid of 'em for you !
:-)

Cookies are tough ! I have been craving them on a regular basis. I was supposed to have a single cookie daily but I scratch it off my list usually, lol ! I am backed up about 6 cookies now. ;-)

It's tougher with lil' kids around and of course they want to have sweets ... When my lil' nephew comes over I am glad to give him cookies so he gets to have 'em, not me. ;-) He likes 'em anyway so it's all good ... in moderation.

Maybe that would be a good suggestion, you micro bite on the cookies and then let others finish them all so you are not tempted anymore. It depends on the person, really ... the house here has many sweets in the cupboards, especially cookies, but I am really not having a lot of 'em, I hardly ever eat any ...

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

Disclaimer : I am following a more extreme version of the 'No-S' diet.
I made my own personal modifications to the original plan (Diet & Exercise)
What I am doing should not be misinterpreted as being a typical 'No-S' diet experience.
11/01/2008 : 280.0 pounds - - - 06/23/2009 : 211.0 pounds
7 months 23 days / 69.0 pounds

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:22 pm

Leave it to you guys to give me such help and laughs!

Solid...yep. kids + recipes = red day

wosnes... homebaked sugar cookies are the toughest!

Kathleen... you seem so wise... You're right, I need patience.

Marc... leave it to you to come up with a funny visual! Except I wanted to BE the cookie monster!

Thalia and Mimi...Yea! Who's the boss around here anyway?

I need to freeze them all. And since the bakers are gone so much on the weekends and only bake on N days, I plan on telling them to bake and freeze or freeze the dough and bake 1 or 2 for themselves in the toaster oven. They'll just need to hide the dough in the freezer... Oh, but then they'll find my hidden GodFather's combo pizza!

For the emergency moment, I remembered my "emergency Jolly Rancher mod" and it yet again worked. One lasts so long and you can't possibly chew or loose a filling. The strong flavor did it for me. It's been so long since I had an emergency I forgot! Duh!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:17 am

I'm so glad you found the answer to your cookie dilemma Renee...you know, when you first mentioned the Jolly Rancher panic button, I thought the idea was so good that I went to Walmart and bought a bag of them. Now I carry a few with me in my purse in case of an *emergency*! Haven't had to use one yet, but I know the time will come!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!