At Serious Eats

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

At Serious Eats

Post by wosnes » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:50 pm

"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:16 am

Lots of grazers there. One thing I notice, not just on that post, but on almost all food forums, is that grazers get very uppity at people who eat 3 squares. It's like they subconsciously know they look like pigs and are lacking self-control and get defensive about it around people who don't graze. Even when it hasn't been mentioned I seem to get that vibe in their comments.

Another thing I notice about grazers too is they can't help but think about food all the time. It's constantly on their mind even though they should never be hungry since they always have food in their stomach. Interesting I think.

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:38 pm

they look like pigs and are lacking self-control
That's a little harsh!

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:43 pm

Look like pigs? I eat yogurt with a little granola and a cheese stick almost every day in between meals. I get weak if I eat three square meals.

Why am I on the No-S board? I like the people here and I do buy into one plate helping and no sweets rules. Only thing I change up is allowing small healthy snacks, 1 or 2 a day. Sooo I don't know if I would call myself a grazer, but I certainly don't eat like a pig :)
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:45 am

Firstly, my comment obviously does not apply to all people. But there is enough of an occurrence that it made me start to think on the matter. Ok now I have that out of the way, on to the discussion. :)

I'm just commenting how it looks. Did you read through those posts? Tell me most of the grazers didn't seem uppity or at least a bit defensive of it when a 3 squares post was directly beside? Also nearly every grazer comment tagged a justification line onto it such as "I just get too hungry if I am not eating all the time." Why the need for a comment such as that if they didn't have at least a bit of a problem with it in their own minds? Know what I mean?

I've got enough psychological knowledge to realise most of the time a pre-emptive justification (that is, before someone has replied) comes because the person suspects other people are thinking about whatever they just tried to justify and that the reason they think others are thinking it is because they themselves have thought it. Phew there's a mouthful! :D

I'm not trying to be nasty here, just pondering on the facts of the matter. I may not even be right and that's fine. I just noticed this kind of phenomenon over the years on forums and decided to share it. I would be keen for other feedback and opinions regarding it actually.

harmony

Post by harmony » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:59 am

Diet is a very sensitive subject. People tend to think their way is the only way. Low-carb, high carb/low fat, 5 meals a day, 3 meals a day...

What I found striking about the posts was the amount of people who commented that they ate too often, all the time, etc. I read them as people who wished they wouldn't eat so often, but didn't know how NOT to snack. I wonder how many people wish they could just eat 3 meals a day. It is hard to know whether they are defensive, apologetic, or just answering the question. It is one of the disadvantages of not being able to hear their tone of voice or see their body language.

For me getting hungry sometimes means that I get light-headed, weak, shaky, and very angry :evil: . Not too long ago, I was afraid of letting myself get hungry. Since cutting way back on caffeine and sugar, I have found things to be much improved. I have hope that I can one day just feel hungry and nothing more. Eating constantly can help keep the unpleasant feelings away, but I am not sure it is the only solution or the right solution for me.

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:10 am

harmony_55805 wrote:For me getting hungry sometimes means that I get light-headed, weak, shaky, and very angry :evil: . Not too long ago, I was afraid of letting myself get hungry. Since cutting way back on caffeine and sugar, I have found things to be much improved. I have hope that I can one day just feel hungry and nothing more. Eating constantly can help keep the unpleasant feelings away, but I am not sure it is the only solution or the right solution for me.
I have experienced similar feelings of light headedness and weakness and the shakes in the past. This occurred when I would miss morning tea, especially when I was busy doing tasks involving concentration such as shooting at the range. After a few months of being very strict on 3 meals a day my body does not get this reaction at all and I only get hungry around the time I normally eat my 3 meals. I'm not sure how long you have been doing the 3 meals thing, but hopefully the same will happen for you in time.

harmony

Post by harmony » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:47 am

Bushranger, this is exactly what I want to hear :D.
After a few months of being very strict on 3 meals a day my body does not get this reaction at all and I only get hungry around the time I normally eat my 3 meals.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:13 pm

Nichole wrote:Look like pigs? I eat yogurt with a little granola and a cheese stick almost every day in between meals. I get weak if I eat three square meals.

Why am I on the No-S board? I like the people here and I do buy into one plate helping and no sweets rules. Only thing I change up is allowing small healthy snacks, 1 or 2 a day. Sooo I don't know if I would call myself a grazer, but I certainly don't eat like a pig :)
Nichole,
I'm with you.
My body, also, requires a couple of small healthy snacks between meals.
It will not allow me to compensate by eating larger meals.
My meals are smaller than most people have.
In fact, most of my meals fit on a small bread plate,
(except sometimes I also add a 1 cup green salad)
and all of my snacks do the same...plus there is usually space between the food.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com