New on the no s diet

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

cl2009

New on the no s diet

Post by cl2009 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:27 pm

it's been almost a week now and i always feel so hungary. and to make things worse my husband sits infront of me and tempts me with his snacks. what to do? :?

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:01 pm

• Eat more at meal times.
    Eat food you really like at meal times to avoid feeling deprived.
    If there is a particular non-sweet "snacky" food you like, leave a bit of space for it on the mealtime plate.
    Make sure you are getting enough protein at meal times, especially breakfast.
    Stay hydrated.

howfunisthat

Post by howfunisthat » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:54 pm

I agree with Blithe Morning's suggestions. This plan is so different than any diet. If you're like me, you're used to eating really small amounts at meals & then finding low calorie/points snacks in between. But since this has no snacking, you really need to eat more on your three plates a day. It will SEEM like too much, but you'll be amazed at how you can eat a wonderful meal three times a day and still lose weight! Just about every diet I was on...and I've tried pretty much all of them, wants you to avoid being hungry by eating several extra times a day. I just wasn't used to feeling hungry and that's the body's way of telling us we're out of fuel! How in the world will be know if we're ready for more if we're constantly filling up on stuff?

The only thing I'd add to the suggestions is to be sure you're eating enough protein. That will help hold you through until the next meal.

Hang in there! janie
Nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:49 am

Welcome, cl2009!

Nothing new to add -- just echoing what howfunisthat and Blthe Morning have already said.

1. Eat bigger meals. Don't worry if they seem too big at first. Building the habit of eating only at meals is worth a few extra calories up front. You'll gradually get a sense of how much it takes to see you through to the next meal without too much hunger or excess.

2. Drink proactively -- even caloric drinks. Milk is OK. Even 100% fruit juice is OK.

3. Realize that practice will make this easier. The longer you stick with it, the more you build habit, and the easier it gets. A generation ago snacking was unusual. Stick with the rules and soon it'll seem strange to you too.

4. Try to spin hunger as something positive. Most people aren't used to hunger these days because they'll always permasnacking and never really get to feel it. But a little bit of hunger before a meal is natural and good -- even enjoyable. "Appetite is the best sauce."

Best of luck -- and keep us posted,

Reinhard

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:24 am

The only thing I have to add is eating more fiber helps, too.

harmony

Post by harmony » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:32 am

The first week was the hardest. I had good sized meals and still felt quite hungry. I can say that I stayed strict and the hunger has gotten much better. The feelings seem weaker and more bearable when they do happen. Before No-S, I would be hungry every 3 hours or less. Now I sometimes have to watch the clock to make sure I don't serve my meals too late because I get distracted with something else. I space my meals every 4-5 hours. So, if you bear it for a week or two and resist the snacking I think you may find the same for yourself. I have been eating this way officially for a month.

The biggest help was finding something enjoyable to sip on when I felt hungry. I use hot tea or coffee when I feel like a snack but I am not really hungry. I use milk when I feel really hungry. So, when your husband gets out his snacks, try making yourself a cup of tea to sip or pour yourself a cup of milk or orange juice. At first you might feel like you are abusing it, but I find that I need it less as I am getting used to the whole No-S system. I have kids that still insist on snacks and I know that can be so hard to watch when the feelings of hunger are still intense.

Mounted Ranger!

Post by Mounted Ranger! » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:42 pm

cl2009,

Everything my fellow posters have said is true and I hope you take their advice: prepare meals that will satisfy and make you happy, make sure you get plenty of fiber and protein (esp. protein), and make sure you get enough at each meal (you can worry about plate sizing later).

You said that your husband is tempting you with his snacking. Do you mean that he gets a snack and then waves it in front of your face and taunts you with "mmmm, it's soooo yummy. You know you want it. Come on, have a little taste. I won't tell Reinhardt." Or do you mean he has a snack and then you are tempted when he eats it.

I think that if it's the first case, you have a right to use your big-girl words and say, "Darling, when you do that I feel unsupported and somewhat less than cherished by you. Please stop . . . for me." Let's face it, husbands require training. He may actually think this is good ol' fun. He may just need to know that it isn't. Now, if he stops, what must you do? Yes, you must apply principles of positive reinforcement.

Now, if you mean he has a snack and you are tempted by it. Well, I think you need to toughen up. Don't worry; if I'm pointing at you I've got three others pointing this way, and how! When my beloveds have snacks it does indeed make me want one, too. However, I'm getting over it and you can, too. First of all, I cannot emphasize enough the blessed cup of milk during these early times. It gives me a feeling of fullness and satisfaction. Second, I tell myself that if I really, really, want it, I can have it for breakfast Saturday if I want. Wrap it up and put it in the fridge or freezer. Third, think positively. You can have the treat on the weekend so, don't get in a tizzy now. Set some aside and you could even have it for breakfast Saturday morning if you want. Just keep your thinking on the positive side. "I can have that or I can be thinner." I am in control, not you, you little cream puff!" It takes more than a cupcake to push me around!" Think of yourself in the kitchen with boxing gloves and colorful silk shorts prancing around.

You really can do it! The first few weeks I really had to lean hard on the milk. Hot, cold, whatever seems right at the time. I find that I have needed it less and less over time.

Oh, one more thing. Who does the grocery shopping in your family? Have you heard that times are hard? It's an economic nightmare out there. Do your duty and cut down on expenses. Don't buy the snacks! It's good for your pocketbook and good for you!
Mounted Ranger!
No S-ing, Ranging, and Shovelgloving since 7/7/09