Question About The One Plate

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Hey Man

Question About The One Plate

Post by Hey Man » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:36 pm

So does this mean for example - that I can't have chicken, rice and a veggie on one plate and a little side salad on another plate? It needs to all be one plate?

jbettin

Post by jbettin » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:56 pm

I think this is a common-sense thing, rather than a rigorous-rule thing. If I'm having soup and salad for lunch, f'rinstance, then technically, it's a plate and a bowl. However, it's a reasonable meal. Bottom line, if I lay my whole meal out and it looks like a piggy feast, then it's too much. If it looks like a meal for a normal human, then I don't fuss about how many plates it's on.
Mom of 4

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:09 am

I agree with the common sense approach: I tend to interpret the one plate a little more broadly, as meaning that I set out a certain amount of food, and don't take any more than that. It follows the spirit of "no seconds", but I don't mind if the food is spread out over two little plates and a bowl, if that's how it happens to work out. For me, the point is that I can see how much I'm eating and I don't just keep going absent-mindedly.

Having said that, a lot of people find significant value in being more literal about the single plate rule. This seems to be the kind of thing that people need to determine for themselves, by trying out various approaches and seeing if it works for them.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:23 am

I would leave a little space on the main plate for the plated salad. If you can't make room for the salad, then maybe something needs to go.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:35 am

I almost always have my salad on another plate. I had been doing this for about a year before I realized that there was a one plate "rule." I just keep it to one serving of whatever is being served.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

burnnotice

One Plate Rule

Post by burnnotice » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:37 pm

This rule made me discover that I don't like my food to touch on a plate. Because of this, I keep my salad separately. I've had to work on sticking everything I plan to eat on my plate. It is a good visual exercise & several times in the past month I've not eaten all I had initially thought I would need.
Me
The Client

reitschule

Post by reitschule » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:15 am

Essentially I have a category of food opposite the sweets category: "heathy food". This is food that I give myself a small pat on the back for eating, and is formally exempt from all NoS restrictions. If anything it's easier to sight-read than "sweets". Eg. salads, raw veggies, veggie smoothies, green tea.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:28 am

Just to give you a general idea: a 10-inch plate holds about 3 cups of food volume without stacking too much.

My lunches are smaller than that because I do lunch in a cute little Japanese box that holds about 2 cups of food. I'm okay with that as I feel satisfied and am fine until dinner.

But when I'm having soup, I generally put the bowl on a dinner plate. Anything I can put on the empty space on the plate is fine. That's generally a small piece of bread and a small serving of green salad. Certainly that's a fine, balanced meal!

Otherwise, if it fits on the plate and doesn't look appallingly piled on, I feel like it's all good. I do feel a very gentle pressure for about half the plate to be veggies and fruit, but I'm not completely retentive about it.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.