Inconsistent Schedules and No-S

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

NoelFigart

Inconsistent Schedules and No-S

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:45 pm

For the most part, my daily schedule is pretty set, at least in terms of meals. I have breakfast sometime between 7:30 and 8:00 most mornings, lunch ~12:30 and dinner around 18:00.

Today is an N day, but I'm travelling to meet some friends. I'm having a larger than usual breakfast and a late lunch, because I have no IDEA what tonight is gonna look like in terms of when or how or if dinner is gonna happen. (Amazing how regular meal time are not a given, huh?) Of course, I could declare this a NWS day, especially since I didn't take one on Labor Day, I don't see these friends often, and it's the only NWS day I'll have until Thanksgiving, anyways.

For the rest of the weekend, I don't give a damn. S-days. S-days are off the hook. I try not to be crazy, but damn'f I'm gonna sweat it, even if I DO prefer three proper meals a day.

I was wondering how most people handle this sort of thing on N-days when they're traveling or socializing.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Mounted Ranger!

Post by Mounted Ranger! » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:07 pm

For the monthly Mother/Daughter book club I plan it as an S Event. We have a discussion of our book, an activity, and yes, the ubiquitous snack. We try hard to make creative, delicious treats that reflect in some way the book we read. So, I have made that monthly club mtg an S Event (NOT a whole S day).

On the other hand, for more impromptu get togethers, it's still an N Day. If I'm going loooong b/t meals, I'll revert back to my milk crutch but otherwise, I just tough it out. I can meet with friends, have an N Day meal, and be very happy. I think of my friends and getting together as the treat and do fine w/o the sweets.

So, if it's just the time b/t meals that has you concerned, lean on your caloric beverages and know that your hunger won't hurt you. If the problem is that when you finally do get together you're afraid you won't be able to stick to an N Day meal and pig out or indulge in sweets or something all I can say is try to be tougher than your temptations and if you want the sweet, pack it up to go. Then you can have it for breakfast tomorrow if you want!

God Bless, Noelfigart, I hope you can stick it out.
Mounted Ranger!
No S-ing, Ranging, and Shovelgloving since 7/7/09

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:10 pm

I do the best I can and don't worry about it.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

kwonset

Post by kwonset » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:20 pm

Tonight I'm meeting my sisters for dinner and a concert (Tom Rush) so I am making today my S day and Sunday an N day. I don't always have S's on the weekend, it just depends on what's happening. This eating plan is so liberating that just the idea that I can have a treat is sometimes as good as having one!
"If you don''t like how things are, change it! You are not a tree!" Jim Rohn

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:20 pm

In the past, I simply drifted away from No-S, telling myself, "This doesn't fit my life." Now I just do what I can. Life doesn't always happen on schedule, so it stands to reason that meals won't either. Also there are some days when I am physically very active and simply need more food, but I can only hold just so much at any one meal. I am staying with No S as much as possible, but there are times when I need to adjust. To me this seems a reasonable and moderate approach to eating, and that's what No S is all about.
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

guadopt1997

Post by guadopt1997 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:01 pm

kwonset wrote: I don't always have S's on the weekend, it just depends on what's happening.
I wish I was at that point of not always having S's on the weekend.

I didn't take an S day on Monday because we didn't have any special plans. If I could limit my S days to one treat then I guess I could take a day like that. But I don't have that level of control and it's almost always all or nothing day to day, though I am pleased that I have been able to manage some S events here and there.

Today we had cake at work for the summer birthdays and I took a slice for tomorrow. When I explained to one of the birthday girls, she was jokingly offended that I didn't consider her birthday an S day!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:48 pm

guadopt1997 wrote: Today we had cake at work for the summer birthdays and I took a slice for tomorrow. When I explained to one of the birthday girls, she was jokingly offended that I didn't consider her birthday an S day!
Well it is,,,, for her :wink:
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:45 pm

As it turned out, we went out to dinner. I had a single plate, no appetizers, "right size" meal.

All good. Off the hook for the next couple of days.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:29 pm

Glad it all worked out, Noel!

I usually find these things wind up being easier to handle than expected.

I may not know exactly when and how the next meal is coming, but I've been surprised by how often, with a little bit of attention, they fall into place.

And of course, if the day is really unusual, well, that may qualify it as "special." Or, as Jan suggests, up the meal count by one just for that day (I don't do this personally, but it makes a lot of sense).

Reinhard

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:24 pm

The more firmly the No-S habit becomes, the less frequently I find myself doing this. It's useful sometimes, but exceptions can be (bad) habit-forming.
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")