tough no s day

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ktharmoney

tough no s day

Post by ktharmoney » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:10 pm

having trouble w/this today. there are really tasty looking sweet things surrounding me today. i haven't caved today, but it's really hard. what are some good strategies for difficult days, i.e. days wherein you strongly desire sweets/snacks, but cannot have them?

HealthPrincess9

Post by HealthPrincess9 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:09 pm

I try to take it one day at a time... There's something in front of you that you can't eat? Just think - "It's only one day, I can do this!"... Then start again tomorroww... One day at a time :D

Before you know it, you will be at an S day and will be able to truely enjoy some sweets/snacks/seconds!!

A word of caution though... If you feel that your cravings are so intense that you will binge sooner or later - allow yourself a little something! Maybe a little piece of dark chocolate or a small cookie with dinner. If you can hold out, though, just remember that what you want will be that much better when you finally get to have it on your S day!

Good luck - keep us posted!! :wink: [/i]

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:23 pm

Quick freeze it!
I have a stash in my freezer. They can be saved until an S day or, like me, you'll forget about it because it'll loose it's appeal once it's "gone". 8)
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:33 pm

I understand... there are days like that for me too. Usually, meetings with liberal arrays of junk food in the meeting room...

First, take what action you can. There's usually hot water... I bring my own tea, and sip on that. And I relax over my one-plate lunch (that used to be a big stress, before No-S!).

To keep the sense of deprivation from overwhelming me, I look for non-food "treats" in my day. (I regard overeating as a "mis-guided attempt at self-nurture."). If I don't do something to feel "taken care of," it seems that I use up my resilience... usually, I make it through the initial temptation, then fail when I lower my guard.

Recognizing this pattern has helped me to combat it. If you can identify your own "inflection points," it will help you come up with strategies.

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:06 pm

From an earlier post, someone said that these sweets are

JUST FOR DECORATION!!!!

Also, I find it helpful to remind myself

A MOMENT ON THE LIPS, A LIFETIME ON THE HIPS!!!!
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

Bfrilkins

Disapproved

Post by Bfrilkins » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:15 pm

I find the phrase "that food is pre-disapproved" works well. You are not making a decision, it's just not allowed. I can't remember who I picked that phrase up from, but it's a good one.

Being a bit hungry or feeling deprived of something yummy is not an emergency. When you feel a little hungry you are burning fat cells. You're going to have those moments if you want to lose/maintain weight.

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:43 pm

One thing that I've found to be vital for (my) longterm success with NoS is that I needed to (and still find occasion for) redirecting/reprogramming my thinking.

I believe the other posters hit upon this in their responses by giving you phrases and ideas to dwell on and pull out as ammunition against temptation.

If you haven't, I *highly* recommend that you (repeatedly) read through the NoS Catch Phrase glossary post that is stickied near the top of the forum. That post is a collection of those phrases and mottoes that have proved most inspirational to various members in forming good NoS habits. Not all, or even many, will "grab" you, but there are sure to be several that are just what you need. Learn a few and use them.

A second practice that I found very helpful in the beginning was to read through the book. Yes, most of the information about "how to" is right on the website. BUT, I found that repeatedly reading and rereading the book fairly early on really helped me to catch a bigger "vision" of what NoS living is all about--it is much more than following "rules." It really can be an enjoyably sustainable lifestyle...

HTH,
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!