Starting Again Today!!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

MB

Starting Again Today!!

Post by MB » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:33 pm

Hey everyone. I would like to share my story with y'all. I teach elementary school in Georgia and I recently lost 48 pounds on a very expensive medical weight loss plan taking lots of supplements and basically starving myself half the time. Now that I'm finished with my program I still need 25 pounds to come off to be at my goal of 160. I currently weigh 185.

I lost about 12 pounds in 1 month after doing the NO S diet last school year so I know it works and its pretty easy compared to other things I have done. I am scared that I am going to gain weight back though because I am going from eating very low fat low carb to eating sensible again 3 times a day. This is the healthiest way to eat though. Any suggestions or similar experiences?

Also a quick question. If I eat a snack in the aftrenoon after school can I count it as a meal? This is the hardest time of day for me. Does anyone eat more than 3 meals a day?

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:42 pm

There are some people who eat 4 meals daily. The trick to eating more meals is to keep half of them "small" meals. I rarely eat 3 meals daily -- usually only two, but no matter if it's two or three, only one is a large meal.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:17 am

I agree with wosnes here. When I restarted on No-S - even when I was very successful on it two years ago - there were periods when dinner wasn't going to happen until 7:30 p.m. With lunch at 11:30, that was just hard for me, and I was chippy around my wife and kids.

During those periods, I added a small meal in the late afternoon. Five triscuits, or one small apple, or two rice cakes, but no more.

It helped a lot. I think the key is to plan. If you plan a small meal, then plan another small meal, and it helps you stay on target, that's a good compromise.

With regard to coming off your expensive diet to No-S again, consider changing the composition of your diet slowly. Eating root vegetables rather than bread will produce a smaller increase in carbs (except white potatoes, which are digested almost as quickly as table sugar). They'll fill you up, too. And tons of greens. We eat braised kale, collards, or boc choi at almost every meal, in copious amounts.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:37 pm

I really don't recommend adding a snack! That's what we're trying to avoid. I'd read the No S book, then be very patient with yourself and trust that your body will get used to waiting for dinner. You could always move dinner earlier. :wink:
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me