No S and IBS

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

reubenthetadpole

No S and IBS

Post by reubenthetadpole » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:17 pm

So, I'm doing the No S diet...mainly because I found myself eating a lot of junk food and candy--not so much because I wanted it but out of habit.

Regardless, I'm finding that the hunger between meals is pretty intense. And I suffer from horrible IBS, so hunger pangs go beyond pangs and into nausea and literal pain.

Any remedies for this? How do I stave off the hunger? And anyone else doing this diet with IBS?

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:58 pm

I don't have IBS, but I'll take a stab at generating options...

First, what does your doctor recommend in terms of number of meals? Medical advice trumps No-S.

Second, No S says "no eating between meals," but does NOT specify how many meals you have (though it does point out that every additional meal is an opportunity for excess). Could you plan 4-6 "mini-meals" instead of 3 to stave off hunger? (Use smaller plates if you do!)

However, if you want to try to keep within the framework of standard No-S, and have no medical reasons not to..
- Are you eating enough at the meals you are having? People who are used to snacking a lot often skimp on actual meals, and it takes a while to re-calibrate. So, you might try increasing your meals to stave off the hunger pains.
- Does milk help with the pangs?

You might also consider an "exception" - a one serving portion of something-you-like-well-enough-but-won't-binge-on that you can have "if you genuinely need it." That would still keep you out of perma-snacking but address the issue. And over time, you may find that your need for it decreases.

I'm brainstorming here, because I don't know much about IBS. So, take what you can use and let the rest go. :)

Good luck!

reubenthetadpole

Post by reubenthetadpole » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:48 am

Good advice...thanks!