Newbie introduction

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Lms526

Newbie introduction

Post by Lms526 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:18 pm

Hi, my name is Lisa. I'm 33 years old and from the state of Wisconsin. I recently stumbled across the no-s website and after liking what I read, ordered the book. Today is going to be my first day on the No-S diet. Does anyone have any suggestions or encouragement to get me started?

I'm definitely an emotional eater, so the no snacking thing worries me a little. But I know that if I put my mind to it, I can do it. I am really excited to try this style of eating. I love that this diet has no counting, no measuring, no deprivation and no gimmicks! I really hope this diet works for me. I would also appreciate it if someone was willing to be my no-S buddy for motivation and accountability. Thanks!

Any encouragement, suggestions etc, would be welcome!

Lms526

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:40 pm

Welcome, Lisa!

My main advice be patient and enjoy.

Moderation can take a while to show results -- but it can be a very enjoyable while if you let it. Enjoy your meals. Enjoy your S-days.

It can also take a few false starts to get the habit down. Don't beat yourself up when this happens -- expect it. The habitcal can be a great tool for keeping yourself accountable without masochism.

Reinhard

Starla

Post by Starla » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:45 pm

Hi, Lisa -

Welcome from another Badger! I've been doing No S since Labor Day, and I can tell you these things to encourage you:

1) It works.
2) It gets easier! And I'll admit I found it hard at first. The first week I was so hungry before lunch I had a headache. It took me a while to figure out my meals so that I wasn't crazy by mealtime.
3) One of the posters here, KCCC, identified overeating as an attempt to self-nuture, and that really resonated with me (and I think other emotional eaters). It stopped me from using food to ignore what I was feeling, because overeating is only making things worse.

I would encourage you to try to give vanilla No S (no modifications) a try for at least a month before making any changes. I've found it helpful to use the Habit Cal and to post in my own check-in thread. It makes me accountable, and I have a record of things that worked and didn't work for me. I also found it VERY helpful to read through other check-in threads for inspiration and ideas.

Finally, ask away if you have any questions. Everyone here is very helpful and encouraging.

Good luck!

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:07 pm

Go Lisa, Go!

There's lots of encouragement here. Post from time to time and you'll find out. :)

Good luck, and keep in touch!
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:19 pm

Welcome Lisa! I think all the others above really covered it all. I would just reemphasize Reinhard's advice about being patient. The NoS way of eating and living does not provide quick, instant weight loss results. Expect from a 1/2 pound to one pound weight loss per week. Of course, this varies with each individual.
The biggest benefit I have experienced by following NoS, and why I am such a huge advocate for it, is not the weight loss, but the peace of mind that comes with eating this way. If you have been a chronic dieter over the years and have developed what we around here call a *diet head*, you will find that following NoS brings an end to all that mental chattering and anguish over what to eat, what not to eat, etc. Another nice benefit is that you can pull out all your *normal* cook books and make satisfying meals from those.
I wish you the best of luck on your NoS journey!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!