What do you do if you don't like your dinner?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

lelovelady

What do you do if you don't like your dinner?

Post by lelovelady » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:14 pm

I know that sounds really stupid ... but I had it happen to me last night. I picked up a roasted chicken last night because it sounded really good and I wasn't up to cooking for myself. Then, after I'd made my plate and sat down to eat, the chicken didn't taste good. They'd used some kind of smoke flavoring on it that was just hideous.

I couldn't really get up and switch it out because I'd already started eating it, and to me switching for something else would have felt like going back for "seconds". So I made do with the sides I was having, and the little bit of chicken I was able to stomach. But I was miserable all night long, and it's the first night since I started this that I really almost just chalked up to a red failure day and got something else to eat.

Has this ever happened to anyone else, and if so, how did you handle it? Would it count as a "seconds" if I didn't eat the firsts and just swapped out the protein?

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:41 pm

I can't say that I've ever had that happen to me, but I don't think it would count as seconds. I'd just be sure that I only replace the amount of uneaten portion, so it would still be "one plate."
5'9 -- Laura --

Started July 23, 2009 -- 246.6
Restart: June 13, 2010 - 241.6
July 18, 2010 -- 235 .... - 11.6 lb loss in ~1 yr.
Back Again: January 13, 2012 -- 242.2 lbs

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:52 pm

Actually, this did happen to me once, a month or so ago. I made a macaroni and cheese dish with what I thought were 'mild' jalapenas.' Tongue-blistering! Couldn't eat it at all. Dumped it off my plate and got a couple of pieces of bread and butter to go with my veggies. Not seconds, because I had barely eaten firsts!

Sometimes you just do what you have to do. :D
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:16 pm

This isn't the first time this has been asked. Here's my view: you can't have seconds if you didn't have firsts. A few bites isn't a proper serving. So get rid of the offensive food and replace it with something you can eat -- just like Jan did!

I've had it happen twice at restaurants. Both times they replaced my meal because I didn't like it. Both were chains -- one a little more upscale than the other.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:55 am

Do NOT eat anything you are not enjoying..ever!
I think that is a big part of our eating problem..we eat things because we think we should (for whaterver reason) and not because we love the food.
The wonderful thing about noS is that you can eat exactly what you enjoy and skip what you don't like. The rules are so simple that we tend to make them harder than they are when we begin because we can't imagine something so simple can work! (IT does!!)
I am sure not a single person will be telling you that you should have forced down that chicken because you put it on your plate. This plan is gentle and kind. Relax...enjoy your three meals a day..enjoy taking charge of your eating.
:wink:
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:31 am

Don't eat what you don't enjoy. Read the virtual-plating ideas from Reinhard. I'd replace it with another like-size item that you enjoy more. Then call it good and don't stress over it. :wink:
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

TunaFishKid

Post by TunaFishKid » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:20 pm

Grammy G wrote:Do NOT eat anything you are not enjoying..ever!
I think that is a big part of our eating problem..we eat things because we think we should (for whaterver reason) and not because we love the food.
The wonderful thing about noS is that you can eat exactly what you enjoy and skip what you don't like. The rules are so simple that we tend to make them harder than they are when we begin because we can't imagine something so simple can work! (IT does!!)
I am sure not a single person will be telling you that you should have forced down that chicken because you put it on your plate. This plan is gentle and kind. Relax...enjoy your three meals a day..enjoy taking charge of your eating.
:wink:
I loved every word of that post, Grammy G! Thank you. :)
~ Laura ~

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:47 pm

That's what she said! Don't eat it if it's not good, especially meat (so says the vegetarian... : ) )It could be not good for a reason, if might have been bad meat. I think No S has taught me to appreciate what I'm eating. I would've made a sandwich and had my sides. You want to be full. No S is not about depriving yourself. Meal time is important. I don't think eating something else would've been a true second portion.
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

lelovelady

Thank you!

Post by lelovelady » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:55 pm

Thanks for all the great support! I'll keep that in mind if it ever happens again. It sounded reasonable to me, but I wasn't sure if I was just rationalizing, so I decided I'd rather be a little too strict than have a failure so early in my journey, until I could get some input from you guys.

I have to say, I'm really loving this plan. I am definitely noticing the changes in my behaviors, and I'm noticing how often I am tempted to have a little "taste" of this or that. I hadn't really realized before how pervasive my snacking was ... a mint here, a dab of something there, a nibble of this or that. Things I never really noticed I was doing, and that were individually insignificant, but which added all together were huge.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Laura