Regarding a maple oat scone...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

RedBaron

Regarding a maple oat scone...

Post by RedBaron » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:12 am

I stopped by Starbucks a few minutes ago, just before it closed, and through application of wit and presentation of Shovelglove Delts induced the lovely barista to give me one of the pastries she would have had to throw away (it being closing time). I now have a maple oat scone, and a dilemma. Is it a sweet? It is not particularly sweet, as pastries go -- definitely not as sweet as, say, a cupcake or a danish -- and the No S Diet canon declares many "maybe sweets" kosher. These pastries are about as sweet as PB&J's, which are explicitly OK'ed. And I have got a meal left today, in which this free scone could feature.

On the other hand, I try to "build a fence around the diet" (I wouldn't have *paid* for a maple oat scone on an N Day), and I've got more than enough willpower lying about to put the thing in a sealed tin and leave it until Saturday.

Opinions? Are Starbuck's Maple Oat Scones sweets? I won't be having meal #3 for another hour or two, and I'd love some advice.
"Why is this thus?
What is the reason for this thusness?"
-- Artemus Ward

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:35 pm

So what did you decide to do?

If I had seen this last night, I would have voted for "save it for Saturday".
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

Aleria

Post by Aleria » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:09 pm

I would say eat it with a meal, like for breakfast. I eat plain scones with peanut butter and jam for breakfast often.

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:14 pm

Free food always causes me problems! I would incorporate it into my meal. Put it on the plate and build around it! Save it for breakfast... or even freeze it if you think it's a sweet.
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:17 pm

I agree with the others - if it 'feels like' a sweet, freeze it for the weekend. If not, have it as part of a meal.

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:45 pm

Dandelion wrote:I agree with the others - if it 'feels like' a sweet, freeze it for the weekend. If not, have it as part of a meal.
Perfect summary. :)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:54 am

They've got lots of sugar... Definitely a sweet :)
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:46 pm

gratefuldeb67 wrote:They've got lots of sugar... Definitely a sweet :)
The scones sold by Starbucks may have more sugar, but typically scones don't have a lot of sugar, at least as compared to other sweet baked goods. I just checked several recipes, including one for maple oat scones from Ina Garten (not known for being afraid to use sugar and butter). Her recipe calls for 1/2 cup maple syrup and 2 tablespoons sugar for 14 scones -- so less than a tablespoon each. The other two recipes I checked used 1/3 cup sugar for 8-12 scones, which is still less than a tablespoon per scone.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:09 pm

Hi again :)
Well, I just had a quick look on a few places and even tho the Starbucks one says it's 18 grams of sugar, which is a little more than a tablespoon, it's got about 500 calories. I don't normally count calories, but when I see somethings got that much and it's somewhat desertish, I just say save it for S days.

8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

RedBaron

Post by RedBaron » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:45 am

Thanks for the input, everybody!

I ended up saving it for Saturday, and I'm glad I did -- while the scone itself is a fine pastry, with just a hint of sweetness, the maple oat scone is coated with 1/8" of maple sugar frosting!
"Why is this thus?
What is the reason for this thusness?"
-- Artemus Ward