Help please

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

JR

Help please

Post by JR » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:42 am

My husband and I are going away in two weeks time on a three week road trip to South Island. Some of the places will be self-catering but mostly it will mean eating out. What does one do? I suppose I could try to stick to vanilla No - S that would be best, but it might be hard. My goal would be to maintain (first time ever when going away!) Any ideas please? :?:

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:23 pm

Vacations are so tough, especially if you are somewhere where you have food available to you around the clock. Do you think it's too much to enjoy one plated meal out three times a day? I think you can really stick to No S anywhere you go. You don't need appetizers and desserts. I think pacing yourself will help, too. Enjoy what your tasting and after 20 minutes you should be full. Don't snack too much on the road, and move about as much as you can! Have an awesome time!
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:17 pm

I think most people relax a little when away from home for extended periods of time, especially if it's a vacation. But that doesn't mean going crazy, either.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:13 am

Try to stay active as much as you can, and that should help.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:41 pm

I started No S going away on a short trip. Although it crossed over a weekend very early on, I still ate three meals, but I did have dessert. Part of the reason is it just doesn't feel good to eat all day.

Are you going someplace where the food is unusual and out of this world? If not, just try not to think of it as part of the entertainment-except at meal time.

If you are worried about it, it means you don't feel solid with eating in moderation, which is what the whole program is about. I feel ya! You shouldn't ruin your good time, but just because people relax a little on holiday doesn't mean it's good to stuff themselves. Just keep thinking, "Be moderate. I'll feel better physically and enjoy each bite more."

What you don't want to do is way overeat and then be miserable about it. If you eat too much, well, it is what it is. No matter what, just keep moving on to the next "fast" and meal.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:10 pm

Here's a relevant discussion that may help:

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... t=vacation

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:18 pm

Even if the food where you're going is "unusual and out of this world," most often it can be consumed at meal times -- it doesn't have to be snacks.

I've often mentioned that the first year I did this I didn't realize there was a one plate rule. I ate one serving of whatever was being served. As long as serving sizes are reasonable (most places except American restaurants!), it works quite well.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

JR

Post by JR » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:32 am

Thanks so much Oliviamanda, wosnes, clarinetgal, oolala53 and KCCC for your responses and ideas - and also for the link to the other thread KCCC.

Having read everything I am feeling a bit more relaxed about it. My plan is to stick to the No S rules but allow 2 or 3 S "events" each week but only if I come across something special.

(It's the icecreams - oh icecream my best! - and snacks while travelling which are usually my downfall.)

My habitcal is looking so good I don't want to spoil it!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:54 am

JR wrote:Thanks so much Oliviamanda, wosnes, clarinetgal, oolala53 and KCCC for your responses and ideas - and also for the link to the other thread KCCC.

Having read everything I am feeling a bit more relaxed about it. My plan is to stick to the No S rules but allow 2 or 3 S "events" each week but only if I come across something special.

(It's the icecreams - oh icecream my best! - and snacks while travelling which are usually my downfall.)

My habitcal is looking so good I don't want to spoil it!
If the snacks you consume while traveling are eaten in the car -- just add a modification. You should be sitting at a table to eat.

JR

Post by JR » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:00 am

That's a good one wosnes, I'll remember that.