new and have questions

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

suz

new and have questions

Post by suz » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:55 am

I haven't finished reading the book but have a couple of questions that I can't seem to find answered.

1. Each meal is one plate. What if a tossed salad or soup is part of the meal? Obviously you can't have soup on your plate. Or does this count as a multi course meal and then not on program?

2. What about eating out? Is that saved for S days?

3. My partner is diabetic and should not go for a long period of time w/o eating. Can she do the no s diet, too?

Thanks for helping me with these questions. I really want to give this a try, but want to understand as much as possible before diving in.

elisaelli

Post by elisaelli » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:44 am

Well I'm pretty new too, but I think I can help you with some of these.

1. For one thing, you can put the bowl on the plate. The other option which is mentioned here a lot is to "virtual plate" it, and just leave enough room for the amount of food in the bowl on the plate. Since I'm afraid I would overestimate my plate sizes, I make sure it all actually fits on the plate, and you might be better of doing that for a time.

2. You can eat fast food if you want as far as I have seen (though soda is considered a sweet), but to do the plate concept you can either bring a paper plate of your own to put your food on, decide that a wrapper/half wrapper/whatever is a plate, and of course don't eat anything that is obviously a sweet such as a milkshake.

3. http://www.nosdiet.com/ do a find search on "medical". However, I have a relative that started no-s with me that is also diabetic, and as long as she's careful with fast carbs vs slow carbs vs protein content in her meals, shes managing vanilla no-s just fine. (shes type I though, have no idea if it makes a difference in how you're supposed to eat)

wosnes

Re: new and have questions

Post by wosnes » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:27 am

suz wrote:I haven't finished reading the book but have a couple of questions that I can't seem to find answered.

1. Each meal is one plate. What if a tossed salad or soup is part of the meal? Obviously you can't have soup on your plate. Or does this count as a multi course meal and then not on program?

2. What about eating out? Is that saved for S days?

3. My partner is diabetic and should not go for a long period of time w/o eating. Can she do the no s diet, too?

Thanks for helping me with these questions. I really want to give this a try, but want to understand as much as possible before diving in.

1. Technically it should all fit on a plate. However, for the first year I did this, I didn't realize there was a one-plate rule. I ate one serving of whatever was being served, with the exception of appetizers or desserts. When I did realize there was a one-plate rule, I couldn't see a reason to change. My own rule is this: generally speaking my plate is 1/4 meat/main dish, 1/4 starch, 1/2 vegetables. If an extra plate/bowl is for vegetable-based soup, salad or fruit, it's okay.

My lunch is nearly always soup with bread, salad or raw vegetables and a piece of fruit. If it all fits on the plate, fine. If it doesn't -- that's fine, too.

2. You can eat out every meal if you want -- just follow the rules.

3. There's a medical exception to the 3 meals rule:
Reinhard wrote:I love the No S Diet, but my doctor says I need to eat 4/5/6 meals a day because of my medical condition!

The No S Diet has a little known loophole just for you. If you look closely at the site, you'll notice that nowhere does it specify the actual *number* of meals. Now most people will make a certain assumption, and most people had better stick with that assumption. But if you have a medical condition that requires you to eat more often, you can still do so and be a proud No S dieter. Just make sure to figure out what number of meals is right for you, stick with it (no changing the magic number every day), and invest in some really small plates. And talk to your doctor, of course. As for the rest of you, pretend you never read this. It's for people with doctor's notes only.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Starla

Post by Starla » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:16 pm

Welcome, suz!

1. As to soup, I believe Reinhard's answer is that if you're eating a hearty soup, add a hunk of bread and call it a meal. If it's a light soup, use a salad plate for the rest of your meal. Salads are supposed to fit on your plate. I personally don't think that works too well. I bring a salad for lunch every day in one of those Glad rectangular boxes. That's my plate.

2. Eating out is most emphatically NOT reserved for S days! That's one of my favorite things about No S: it doesn't stop me from leading a normal life. You may have to skip appetizers; you can't eat dessert. But you can go out to any restaurant and eat a meal that fits on one plate. It's surprisingly easy to do, and I have never yet left a restaurant feeling deprived.

It's nice that both you and your partner are doing this together; it should make it easier for both of you.

suz

Post by suz » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:38 pm

Thank you so much for your speedy replies!!!

I definitely need to learn portion control and that is one thing that really strikes me about this program. I have been a life-time dieter, but have sort of given up the past 5 years. You see, in 2000 I started a medically supervised (liquid) weight loss program and lost 180 pounds. Food was reintroduced VERY carefully and I learned an awful lot about eating properly. I kept the weight off statistically longer than most. But here I am 10 years later almost right back to where I started. I have not "gained it all plus some" as do many dieters, but I am still depressed, feeling shame and failure.

So, I know that whatever I do next, HAS to be something I can do the rest of my life. This plan makes so much sense to me. I hope it works.

Oh, I have one more question at this point:

What is "vanilla" no S???

Starla

Post by Starla » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:48 pm

Vanilla No S means No S with no modifications.

Yes, this is a rest-of-your-life program. I've been doing it a little over five months now, and I can't imagine why I'd stop. This is now what feels normal to me.

You can DO this!