Alli

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

MB

Alli

Post by MB » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:32 pm

I am trying very hard to stick to NoS. I am starving all the time. I just started taking Alli just to jumpstart my weight loss. I have PCOS and I have tried all sorts of things. I am trying to keep my fat grams lower than usual being on the Alli. Is anyone else taking this or has taken it?

ShannahR

Post by ShannahR » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:56 pm

I haven't taken Alli, but I have noticed that alot of people on the board including myself, eat fat to help us keep full until the next meal. I think you'll have to manage your protein and carbs very carefully to prevent feeling like your starving.
Let us know how it goes!
This version of myself is not permanent, tomorrow I will be different. --BEP

RJLupin

Post by RJLupin » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:19 pm

Fat makes you feel full, so if you try to eat "low fat" you WILL be hungry all the time. Personally, I wouldn't touch Alli; I read the page, and the "treatment effects" include pooping your pants. It even advises you not to leave the house for a few days after starting in case that happens! No, thanks.

If I were you, I would be sure to eat fibery, filling meals with some good fat so you stay full and don't want to snack. Once you get the habit down, it does become a lot easier.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:27 pm

I wouldn't take Alli, either. Unlike the commercials, my (ex) husband, a pharmacist, does not recommend taking it.

What time are your meals and what are you eating?
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

MB

Post by MB » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:53 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! I only bought 3 weeks worth which is the starter pack so I will see how it goes. I probably won't get another bottle just incase their are long term risks.

I just started 3 days ago and eat about 20 fat grams per meal. I haven't had any digestive problems yet. I also take Metformin 2000 mg daily for PCOS.

Yesterday's Menu...

Breakfast - Cheerios, banana, milk
Lunch - Lean cuisine,crackers,grapes
Supper- Steak,green beans,new potatoes
4th meal - Fruit smoothie (161 calories made w splenda from Tropical Smoothie Cafe)

Thanks for the help!

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:31 pm

A few weeks ago, I went to a French restaurant and had something called a cassoulet. I could only finish about 1/2 the dish because it was so satisfying. After that, I started to reconssider having skim milk for our kids. I've now started to buy some whole milk, which is very satisfying. Could it be that low fat brought on the desire for a lot of food and led to the obesity epidemic? I don't know.
Kathleen

RJLupin

Post by RJLupin » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:16 pm

Kathleen wrote:A few weeks ago, I went to a French restaurant and had something called a cassoulet. I could only finish about 1/2 the dish because it was so satisfying. After that, I started to reconssider having skim milk for our kids. I've now started to buy some whole milk, which is very satisfying. Could it be that low fat brought on the desire for a lot of food and led to the obesity epidemic? I don't know.
Kathleen
I personally find low-fat anything nasty, and skim milk is especially bad. All of the good stuff is stripped out, and you're just left with water. I do think the low-fat fad made things a lot worse, because you're never really full and they usually replace the missing fat with sugar and carbs, to make it taste better. Also, if you read the ingredients in low-fat products, they usually have to add all sort of chemicals to replace the natural ingredients they removed. Not my idea of tasty.

kwidener7

Post by kwidener7 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:20 pm

I myself have PCOS and always had problems with hunger. It was very difficult for me to go more that 3-4 hours without food and often I would be hungry within 2 hours. But things have changed drastically since starting No S.

I only started at the beginning of January, but I have noticed incredible changes already. And about 5.5 lbs of weight loss. I am what most would call a skinny cyster, but I carry way too much fat in the stomach. On my first day I was fine, but by day 2 I was starving!! You can read more here. http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic ... ght=#73351. Basically, I had to add more fat to my diet, balance my plate to make sure I included protein, veggies, fat, and even some kind of good quality and sometimes starchy carb (homemade bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc.) My plates were HUGE at first, but I was no longer hungry between meals. And I stuck with 3.

After a while I noticed I could be hungry without feeling shaky, hot, sweaty, and irritable and grouchy. My husband enjoys that! And now, I don't enjoy eating unless it's been closer to 4-6 hours since my last meal. I've even had a short 31 day cycle in that time. I wasn't even expecting it, but I think this way of eating is helping in more ways than just weight loss. I even have stopped obsessing about food. And I had not realized how many sweets I had been consuming! I can finally drink coffee without sugar and sweet drinks just don't taste as good on weekends. And without even trying, my meals have gradually gotten smaller as I am more in tune with my true hunger. I agree with everyone else, don't take Alli. Eat the way we are meant to, and the rest will follow!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:15 pm

My experience is that it's more satisfying to eat a meal that is balanced in protein, fiber, and fat, and the food will stay with you longer, than if any of those three are missing.
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")