Second Week Observations

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

RJLupin

Second Week Observations

Post by RJLupin » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:45 pm

I am now on Day 10, and it's going great! I don't know how much I have lost, since I don't plan on weighing until day 14. It's at least 4 pounds, though, because my pants are already looser.

This is the easiest thing ever. Before I started, I was literally gorging on sweets and junk food pretty much 24/7. Not so anymore. I was afraid I would be hungry, but that hasn't been the case. Sometimes, in fact, I have a hard time finishing my dinner. I think in my own case, snacking between meals actually made me HUNGRIER, and caused me to eat more. Since I have cut that out, my appetite has been reduced.

Two thing I would like to work on: I am still addicted to diet soda, and I need to exercise. I have terrible migraines and chronic fatigue syndrome, so exercise is a tough thing for me. However, I can at least try to start walking around my apartment building a few times, and doing my free weights.

I am really optimistic about this. I wasn't able to stick to other diets for more than a day or two, but this was is going really well. Already, I am sort of doing it unconsciously and it's getting to be a habit. I will post my two week weight loss on Monday, when I weigh.

kwidener7

Post by kwidener7 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:44 pm

RJLupin,

Congrats on the success so far!

A word of advice; get off the diet sodas now (and other things with artificial sweeteners)! They are horrible for you and there are many who believe they cause chronic fatigue syndrome and migraines. I drank them for a short while and then my pee started to burn and my tongue was tingly. I have not touched them since.

Also, they wreck havoc on your blood sugar and insulin levels and will sabotage your efforts. There have been studies linking diet sweeteners to carb cravings. Your body begins producing insulin anytime you eat something sweet, so when there is no sugar in a sweet item, it makes your blood sugar levels crash. Then you become tired and begin craving carbs to get you levels back up.

I used to not be able to drink unsweetened coffee, but now all I like is milk in my coffee (whole milk, of course)!

Duckling

Post by Duckling » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:52 pm

Well done, RJLupin! I love reading about everyone's successes.

kwidener, thanks for the info on insulin and diet soda. I knew it was bad, but I didn't realize it was that bad!

kwidener7

Post by kwidener7 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:29 pm

Duckling,

You're welcome! I have done a lot of research on foods and "fake" foods! It's so scary what they are allowed to put in our foods! I try very hard to stick with whole foods as often as possible. Many here follow Michael Pollan's advice.

Check this article out, too. It's very informative.
http://www.ultrawellness.com/blog/artif ... ss#comment

RJLupin

Post by RJLupin » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:27 pm

I haven't found that diet sodas can sugar or carb cravings, or have hindered my weight loss. I just think I drink too many of them. I don't use any sweetener in my coffee, just heavy cream. I do drink honey in my tea, though.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:35 pm

Good going! You're off to a great start!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:04 pm

Great job so far! As far as exercise goes, just start off doing what you can. Walking around your apartment and doing free weights sounds like a good start. A lot of people here commit to doing 14 minutes a day, which is very doable.