Go, Mrs. Obama!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wosnes

Go, Mrs. Obama!

Post by wosnes » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:07 pm

About the speech she made to the Grocery Manufacturer's Association.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Too solid flesh

Go, Mrs. Obama!

Post by Too solid flesh » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:42 pm

Amazing! That's the sort of thing people in power can't usually say.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:08 pm

*wince* While I'm totally behind the idea that marketing something low in fat but high in sugar as totally healthy isn't accurate, I have a BIG problem with part of the message. Mrs. Obama implies that they somehow have the power to make a kid ask for something and that makes a parent BUY it. Come ON.

The children don't buy the food. Who gives a damn how something is marketed to a six year old? Seriously. Embrace the wonders of saying "NO!" to a kid. Turn off the television.

The reason these things are pushed is because.... WE BUY THEM and they're cheap to manufacture. But the parent is the one with the power here.

You control what goes in the grocery cart. You control what you pay for. Yes, little Knucklehead might roll around on the floor screaming and crying for his treasured Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs. No, the glares bestowing upon you the Crappy Parent of the Year award from other grocery store patrons isn’t much fun when you don’t placate the child to make him shut up so they can go back to shopping in peace. I get that. I’m a parent. Been there, done that. Dragging a kid along the floor who has gone Gandhi in protest isn’t fun.

Thing is, little Knucklehead probably isn’t that dumb. Screaming hurts one’s throat and cold grocery store floors aren’t really all that much fun to lie on. If you keep saying no consistently, they’ll get the point.

If you can’t handle enforcing a no when it comes to cereal and you’re the one with the checkbook, I don’t even want to think of what it’s going to look like when your kids are teenagers.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:10 pm

The points she raises in this speech are spot-on, and I agree that it's even a bit surprising she was quite so blunt. But I really don't believe things are going to change (at least in any way that's truly meaningful). No matter what, food that's processed or manufactured and packaged, it will always be inferior to food that's simply grown or raised. And if people want to make money, they're going with the former.

Lots of people are starting to jump on the "real food" bandwagon, and conventional manufacturers will be soon to follow (lots of organic and "natural" brands are already all about this). Fruit snacks made with "real fruit" (whatever, it's still a gummy candy and not a piece of fruit), cookies made with "real sugar" (who cares? it's still a cookie with sugar). Food companies will always want to make money, and they'll exploit any trend to do so. Did you ever see the commercials for "local" Lay's potato chips? It's just a bunch of garbage. The real solution would be for something like the Grocery Manufacturer's Association to just cease existence. That way, the biggest interest wouldn't be focusing on making as much money as possible at the expense of people who lack knowledge about what it really means to eat nutritious food and/or don't realize the stuff they're putting in their mouth is a dirty lie. It would be keeping people well.

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:13 pm

NoelFigart wrote:*wince* While I'm totally behind the idea that marketing something low in fat but high in sugar as totally healthy isn't accurate, I have a BIG problem with part of the message. Mrs. Obama implies that they somehow have the power to make a kid ask for something and that makes a parent BUY it. Come ON.

The children don't buy the food. Who gives a damn how something is marketed to a six year old? Seriously. Embrace the wonders of saying "NO!" to a kid. Turn off the television.

The reason these things are pushed is because.... WE BUY THEM and they're cheap to manufacture. But the parent is the one with the power here.

You control what goes in the grocery cart. You control what you pay for. Yes, little Knucklehead might roll around on the floor screaming and crying for his treasured Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs. No, the glares bestowing upon you the Crappy Parent of the Year award from other grocery store patrons isn’t much fun when you don’t placate the child to make him shut up so they can go back to shopping in peace. I get that. I’m a parent. Been there, done that. Dragging a kid along the floor who has gone Gandhi in protest isn’t fun.

Thing is, little Knucklehead probably isn’t that dumb. Screaming hurts one’s throat and cold grocery store floors aren’t really all that much fun to lie on. If you keep saying no consistently, they’ll get the point.

If you can’t handle enforcing a no when it comes to cereal and you’re the one with the checkbook, I don’t even want to think of what it’s going to look like when your kids are teenagers.
Also, yes to everything Noel said. I always tell my mom that when I have kids, they're not eating processed junk snack garbage (maybe they won't be eating snacks at all). She just kind of gives me a smirk that says, "You're so idealistic, now. When you have kids, you'll give in just like everyone else." But the thing is, I know know know I won't. I know!

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:32 pm

marygrace wrote:She just kind of gives me a smirk that says, "You're so idealistic, now. When you have kids, you'll give in just like everyone else." But the thing is, I know know know I won't. I know!
LOL. Don't get cocky. It's hard to be strict when you're constantly bombarded with the idea that if you are then you're being rigid, mean, or behind the times.

It's also HARD to be intelligently strict. While it's my job to set boundaries, it's also my job to teach my children how to be adults.

It's hardest to teach a child to do something you, yourself are not willing to do. "Do what I say, not what I do" doesn't wear well. You want 'em to clean their rooms? Better keep your room neat. Want them to be active? Better do it yourself. Want them to be polite? Better be saying "Please" and "Thank you" to THEM.

Why yes, being a mother really made me clean up my act a LOT.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:47 pm

marygrace wrote: I always tell my mom that when I have kids, they're not eating processed junk snack garbage (maybe they won't be eating snacks at all). She just kind of gives me a smirk that says, "You're so idealistic, now. When you have kids, you'll give in just like everyone else." But the thing is, I know know know I won't. I know!
LOL. I have to agree with your mom on this one. It is an entirely different ballgame once you actually have a kid and are bombarded with snacks. Snacks at playgroups, snacks at team sports, snacks at playdates, snacks at scout meetings, snacks at birthday parties, etc. My kid's school has a set snack time everyday plus there are often snacks for special events and birthdays ... and, as much as we try to -- and do -- limit the processed junk, it is impossible to have complete control, especially once said kid is school-aged and going over to friends' houses and the like. :wink:
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:07 pm

I'm high school teacher and I have seen the fallout of parents not enforcing No. Students will come to me with a million excuses why they shouldn't have to follow my directions or meet deadlines. Students who start crying because I'm going to report that they plagiarize or whatever other infractions they make--usually after multiple warnings. AAaargh.

I do believe in holding the line with kids for food, but I know it can be hard. There is no guarantee that they will make good choices later. But at least you'll have done your part.

I had an instructional aide once who told a boy (who was a poster child for a child at risk of diabetes) that if he couldn't choose between the two candy bars he had for "nutrition break," that he should just eat both! I took her aside and said I felt that was poor advice. If we as the adult can't guide them, who would? She was quite heavy herself. Later she went on Weight Watchers and got a little religion.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:34 pm

NoelFigart wrote:*wince* While I'm totally behind the idea that marketing something low in fat but high in sugar as totally healthy isn't accurate, I have a BIG problem with part of the message. Mrs. Obama implies that they somehow have the power to make a kid ask for something and that makes a parent BUY it. Come ON.

Well, on the one hand, you're right. And believe me, I do that... to the limit I can control. (Public school is terrible in terms of nutrition. Not even the meals - the candy rewards, etc. have a very long rant about it if you'd like it sometime.)

On the other hand, as a parent, I am so tired of MY LONE VOICE combating the combined efforts of thousands of well-paid marketers. It's an uphill battle - and I shouldn't HAVE to fight it all the time.

I'd like the "default environment" to be healthier, so that choices would be good ones without constant watchfulness. And I do think marketers are responsible for creating a highly toxic and unhealthy default.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:45 pm

KCCC wrote:On the other hand, as a parent, I am so tired of MY LONE VOICE combating the combined efforts of thousands of well-paid marketers. It's an uphill battle - and I shouldn't HAVE to fight it all the time.

I'd like the "default environment" to be healthier, so that choices would be good ones without constant watchfulness. And I do think marketers are responsible for creating a highly toxic and unhealthy default.
I would like a better default environment, too. I strongly believe that if the consumers stop buying the garbage and put their collective foot down, manufacturers will respond. They don't give a damn whether or not we're healthy. They only want to make money. If it's unprofitable to push poison, they'll stop pushing it.
------

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:10 pm

My favorite parenting quote -- which goes along with what Noel said:

Your children more attention pay to what you do than what you say. Zig Ziglar
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

connorcream

Post by connorcream » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:13 am

Parents have control within their homes but once they are in other territory they have very little physical control. One can rely on habits to a limited extent. One can also limit exposure to outside forces to an even smaller extent.

Look how hard it is for parents with kids who have food allergies, and the parents have a vested interest (avoiding severe reactions) and community understanding to help them and it still is a huge battle.
connorcream
5'8.5"
48 yrs
Started calorie counting
10/6/2009
start/current
192/mid 120's maintaining
Maintaining a year