Cutting Out Artificial Sweetener.....At A Cost

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

RJLupin

Cutting Out Artificial Sweetener.....At A Cost

Post by RJLupin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:57 pm

I am an absolute soda junkie; I literally can't go a day without one. For many years I've been drinking Diet Coke, but the new research into artificial sweetener and weight (not to mention that fact that I have terrible migraines) has made me decide to cut out all artificial sweetener from my diet.

The thing is, I cannot give up soda! I know it's definitely not vanilla No S, but I bought a bunch of Pepsi Throwback today. Instead of HFCS it uses real sugar, which I feel much more comfortable with. "Why not give up soda completely" you ask? Well, in addition to the above, I have to take powerful pain medicine to treat my migraines and other chronic pain. These drugs cause nausea, and the only thing that helps is soda (that, and prescription medicine, which makes me sleepy and costs a lot.)

I am not going to drink more than two a day. I know it's not technically allowed but if I can break my diet soda habit I might be able to get rid of soda completely eventually. I haven't had ANY trouble sticking with No S (I have only had one extra S Day in the 6 weeks I have been on it) so hopefully I can make this work.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:01 am

I think it's more about doing what works for you rather than following the rules. Good luck!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

BelfastBloke

Post by BelfastBloke » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:49 am

I found sparkling water and soda water helped a lot with this.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:04 pm

Maybe you could mix Coke and soda water to wean yourself off the sugar. Also, just to give you perspective, I used to drink sodas a lot, every day for decades. However, now I have only a few a year, even before No S. It's amazing what changes can happen as time goes by. Six weeks on No S is just getting going.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

oliviamanda

Post by oliviamanda » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:48 pm

We drink seltzer at home. Usually with juice or a juice extract. You may feel better flavoring it yourself as you will know what you are adding. I used to hate the taste, but now I have it whenever I want a soda. It's better for you just about as satisfying.
Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time.--- Mark Twain

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:47 pm

I get migranes from any caffiene what so ever (even a chocolate chip cookie) and aspartame. I am able to drink diet sodas with splenda. I refuse to have full sugar drinks, usually drink ice water with a splash of cranberry or orange juice (H2Orange). But, when I think I need pop, I like colas and the only one that has splenda and is caffeine free is Diet Rite. I drink the cherry cola. You may want to try to see if it releaves you from migranes.
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

RJLupin

Post by RJLupin » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:28 pm

I know I can't have Splenda; that more than anything seems to trigger horrible migraines in me that last for days. I am doing a little better on the "real sugar" soda, but I have to watch my consumption.