I must be Doing this Wrong

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Over43

I must be Doing this Wrong

Post by Over43 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:41 pm

An initial joke actually. I woke up and weighed myself this morning. I was at 180 lbs. Six pounds less than I was on March 24th, the day I started. I think I'm going to jinx myself with 6 pounds in nine days.

I read where many are losing a pound a week, that will probably happen when my body realizes what's happeing to it. :wink:

The only thing I can attribute to this rapid of an initial weight loss is the sudden absence of HFCS in my diet, which was usually introduced through the medium of Coca Cola and Code Red Mountain Dew. I am drinking Diet Coke, Vit D milk and water now.

I am exercising 5 days a week, three, 40 minute rides on the Airdyne, and two days a week I use an Iso 7x (Bullworker) for Isometric exercises.

I did not expect this rapid of a start. I am happy.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:54 pm

Hey, I think a rapid start is good. Just don't get too caught up in the scale and focus on behaviors.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:56 pm

Sometimes, weight is just water bloat from constant eating and the sodium. Well done!

groovy1

Post by groovy1 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:27 am

Congratulations on such terrific weight loss! Sometime you can lose a lot of water weight when you first start eating fewer calories - but I'm sure you already know this. There may be what looks like a plateau coming when your body begins to rebalance, but hey - enjoy it and as long as you're not starving all the time - I think you're doing a terrific job. I just started no S last Thursday, coming off of 2 days of eating very badly, and have dropped 6 pounds in 5 days - but I'm still not quite where I was Monday morning, 8 days ago. I don't know if you had a rapid weight gain before you started No S , but for me, it is typical that it takes me about a week to get back to my pre-binge weight. But please do not take offense if that does not apply to you.

Best wishes to you,
Sherry

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:36 pm

I find eating a lot of sugar causes me to feel bloated. If starting NoS has caused you to take in a lot less sugar, you could be losing water weight from that. (Though I'm sure at least 1 or 2 of though pounds are real weight loss from eating less, too!)

Over43

Post by Over43 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:15 am

It could be. We'll see. But I seem to be "needing" less food daily. And to be honest, I think less about food.

I'm still "hovering" at 180 lbs. But, I'm starting to lose "size". The belt(s) were down a notch today, and the medium shirts are starting to fit better.

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:41 pm

It's still working, Getting smalller, but have a bit of a "set back", I guess. Had my blood work done thus last week. Cholestoral was 245, tyrglicerides were 435 +/-. So, I am now on my doctors "cardiac risk" patient list. However, the bright side, when he'd seen I've been losing weight he was pleased. Told me to keep No Sing. I'm back on the Lipitor (20 mg), and still on Azor (but my bp is getting much better). I'll keep at it.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:26 am

The doc has me "off" my eggs for breakfast and on oatmeal. No offense to the peasants of the world, but ugh! I think I'll eat more eggs whites and wheat toast because I'm undereating in the morning and noticing I'm eating more at dinner. Tonight I gave myself a Success, but it was close. I took an extra bite of french bread but held it to that. (Picky I guess.)

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:08 am

Over43, if you're in the "I hate oatmeal" club, make sure that you've tried rough-cut or steel cut oatmeal before you completely throw it out oatmeal entirely.

That instant shit is nauseating to me, and I loves me porridge.

If you've tried all that stuff and still hate it, you have my sympathies.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

marygrace

Post by marygrace » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:42 pm

Looks like he's just asking you to swap a food that's high in cholesterol for a food that's cholesterol-free. If you don't like oatmeal, why don't you swap it for another plant-based food (all plant-based foods are cholesterol-free). If you like something savory in the morning, what about beans and avocado on whole grain toast or peanut butter on toast? Or maybe a breakfast burrito with potatoes, beans, and avocado?

Rea

Post by Rea » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:19 pm

Seriously, try the steel cut oats! If you only need one serving, soak them over night (1/2 cup water for 1/2 cup oats) and then cook in the morning (they won't take long and this improves digestibility. They are delicious and so much more filling.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:57 pm

Tried the Steel Cut this morning. Geez it's expensive. That's not Quaker... Was much thicker, chewier, tasted different, and I feel full. Added a tad of sugar, but overall, not a bad experience.

I think it's is something I can live with.

Thanks for the heads up.

O.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:11 pm

Over 43 -- aside from the eggs, I have no idea what you're eating. But let me tell you my story.

By the way, I'm not overly fond of oatmeal, either, and I think the steel cut is even worse than good old rolled oats.

My cholesterol has only been elevated once in my life; it was 239. It was about 5 years ago and I was under a LOT of stress at work and eating a great deal of processed food.

Over the next year I pretty much eliminated the processed foods from my diet and ate a lot more vegetables, fruits and beans. I also ate more meat, dairy (including butter) and eggs than I had in years. I don't eat a lot of grains because I'm just not fond of them. Most of the beans I eat are included in the soup I have nearly daily for lunch.

Prior to my next blood draw, about 6-8 months later, I gave some consideration to using less meat and so on in my diet, but decided not to change. If my cholesterol was still elevated I'd tell the doctor that I'd gotten pretty lax about my diet and I'd go back to a nearly vegetarian diet. My cholesterol had dropped nearly 100 points. To be fair, I am on a low dose of a statin. But as a nurse I've seen people on much higher doses with continued extremely high cholesterol levels -- and this is not the familial high cholesterol.

I suspect that it's our high consumption of processed foods rather than eating foods higher in saturated fat (which causes the elevated serum cholesterol levels) that causes our problems with cholesterol. OR maybe a combination of diet that is high in processed foods along with the foods higher in saturated fats. We've been eating low-fat, low-cholesterol diets for years, yet incidences of elevated cholesterol and heart disease have continued to rise -- as has our consumption of overly refined and processed foods. The fat in foods have been replaced by highly refined carbs.

I also had an "aha!" moment when I was reading about the Mediterranean diet. When the initial studies were done, men on the island of Crete had the lowest cholesterol levels of all that were studied, including the Japanese. Yet they ate moderate amounts of full-fat cheeses and yogurt daily. What they didn't eat was large amounts of refined and processed foods.

I've read quite a lot about the various traditional diets around the world. The people tend to be slim and have low rates of various cancers, diabetes and heart disease. Without exception their diet is low in processed foods and high in "real" food -- though the actual composition of the diets can vary considerably.

I eat more vegetables, fruits and beans than animal foods, but I certainly don't deny myself, either.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Over43

Post by Over43 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:15 am

Thank you Wosnes. Prior to my visit I had been very strict about the three meals a day (still am), but some of those meals did contain Hamburger Helper, and then left overs the next day.

I'm on 20 mg of Lipitor now, and am supposed to go back the first of June.

On another note, my feet are getting smaller. Which is good.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:09 am

My blood draws are now annual and I still get a little anxious before each one. However, my cholesterol has continued to drop a little each year. Last year it was 126.

My motto for how and what I eat is "mostly homemade" -- which means that I aim for 70% (or more) of what I eat to be made from real, fresh, whole food and 30% (or less) from readymade products, including bread and pasta and condiments.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

joasia

Post by joasia » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:08 pm

Here are some things to consider:

-any eating plan/diet/moderation to your current eating habits will result in rapid weight loss at first. It won't stay like that forever
-the more you have to lose the quicker you will lose. the less you have to lose the slower you will lose
-some of it is water loss
-and the bottom line: I am sure you are eating less now than you were before
-I'm almost certain, over time, it will even out and become 1 to 2 pounds a week or less
-congratulations! It's better than gaining
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:36 am

I did not expect this rapid of a start. I am happy.
It does happen -- enjoy!

I can't really comment on the cholesterol issue. I know many here have posted striking improvements in their numbers after doing no-s, but my cholesterol was always good even back in the day when I was eating like a beast (I'm one of those people with cursedly lucky genes in that respect, I guess).

Wosnes's advice to eat more real food seems kind of like a no-brainer -- because even if that doesn't wind up lowering your cholesterol, it'll wind up increasing your pleasure. I wouldn't worry too much about particular miracle foods (though as you know I'm rather fond of oatmeal myself), I'm sure you can find other real food that you actually like.

Reinhard

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:57 am

I have cut out the Hamburger Helper. I can take or leave the oatmeal, I'll eat it a couple of times a week, but today I had eggs, orange juice and wheat toast.

In fact after I told the doc last week my 3 meals a day, included a regular plate of Hamburger Helper he kind of hummed.

High Tryglicerides and Cholestoral run in the family. But interestingly (not wanting to jinx myself) there isn't a lot of heart disease displayed.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:10 am

Seemed to have hit my slow down mark this last week. Sitting right at 175. Which is fine, I seem to be getting "smaller", clothes continue to fit better, but not much a budge on the scale. I'll keep doing what I'm doing and tweak a bit if need be.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:53 am

It sounds like you're doing great! Congratulations on the weight loss!

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:30 pm

Over43 wrote:Seemed to have hit my slow down mark this last week. Sitting right at 175. Which is fine, I seem to be getting "smaller", clothes continue to fit better, but not much a budge on the scale. I'll keep doing what I'm doing and tweak a bit if need be.
Doing what you're doing sounds like a VERY good plan.

Whenever I lost weight, there seems to be a "plateau" period where the scale doesn't move. BUT... my measurements shrink. It's like my body is settling into a new size. During those times, I have learned to be patient and not to blow it because I'm depressed about the scale!

(A good reason not to use the scale as the ONLY metric!)

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue May 11, 2010 6:03 pm

I've been kind of "sloppy" lately. Actually, been struggling. But been trying. Got on the scale this morning for the first time in awhile and was down a pound, and have been my lowest in 3 years. So, I must still be in calorie deficit, despite my thoughts that I have been unworthy. :lol:

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue May 11, 2010 10:07 pm

Not to discourage you, but I dropped from 185 to 175 in my first month. Then I whittled down to 170. Then back up to 175 and I've been wavering between that and 173 for 3 months of almost all green N days. But I've also had mostly wild S days. Actually, the last two weekends I've had a wild Sat. and sane Sunday. I've also started exercising. I believe I'll start to go down again.

I'm 5' 6".

However, it almost doesn't matter what my weight is until I get my weekends down and my exercise consistent. And even then, I'm not sure I will do much different even if I don't get slim. I just feel that the alternatives are not worth it. I just know that I don't want to be a consistent overeater anymore, whether I lose weight or not. This is keeping my eating moderately at least 5 days a week. That's better than I've done in 3 years and for most of my adult life.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed May 12, 2010 3:20 am

I'm not discouraged. I realized thiis evening...I Have Ribs! It's been 5 years since I have seen ribs. :shock:

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed May 12, 2010 5:21 am

I think I can see yours, too!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Wed May 12, 2010 5:40 am

Good work, Dude.

I always knew THE DUDE could do it. I knew the DUDE would lose weight if he cut down on the WHITE RUSSIANS ... and exercised a lil' more, maybe with a bit of bowling after hours with his pals Donny and Walter ! ;-)

The Dude abides by all the No-S rules obviously and this leads to great results ...
;-)

It's really not surprising though, when you make a sudden change like that your body is really shocked and this this can provide great results ... Keep up the good work, Jeffrey Lebowski. You can burn a lot of calories fighting those NIHILISTS TOO outside in the parking lot, ;-)

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

38 Years Old, 5'10" Tall
Nov. 1st. 2008 : 280 Pounds
Nov. 1st. 2009 : 190 Pounds
(1 Year : - 90 Pounds)

Current Weight : 195 Pounds

Over43

Post by Over43 » Wed May 12, 2010 1:41 pm

"It's all about 'Nam man..."

"Walter you're a %$#^%$ travesty man!" :lol:

It's working, one way or the other.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Mon May 24, 2010 3:14 pm

Was up four pounds from my April 24 weigh in. :oops: As much as I would like to find a flaw in the process, I think the flaw lies in my application. Was justifying eating more because I am getting more fit, and exercising more. Time to go back to my previous formula, Airdyne, 3 x a week for 40 minutes. Plus follow the plan the way it supposed to be followed.