A Much More Positive Update

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

RJLupin

A Much More Positive Update

Post by RJLupin » Sat May 01, 2010 4:42 pm

Well, I'm back. After falling off the wagon for a few weeks, I am doing a lot better. My health is improving, and I am back on No S. In fact, I have lost 3 pounds pounds which brings my total weight loss to 17 pounds in just around 2 months.

Even with my slip-ups, I am immensely improved. I've had yet more romantic disappointments, but instead of doing what I used to do (stay in bed for days gorging on candy) I've said to myself "yeah, what happened sucks, but eating junk will only ensure that the rest of your life will suck forever, too." and I've channeled my unhappiness in to losing weight and exercise instead of sitting in bed and eating.

I've made a mode that some might not approve of, but I feel I need in the active weight-loss stage: I have replaced my meals with packaged meals, usually those Healthy Choice Naturals or a can of soup high in protein. Why? I don't have to worry about cooking, they are quick and easy, and I feel I get even better portion control then when left to my own devices. Since I live alone, if I cook it's easy to pile the plate pretty full even when technically following No S, so this way I have no choice but to limit my intake. It's worked out great, and my appetite is much less.

I only have to lose 17 more pounds to get down to my "Phase 1" goal weight, and 20 more on top of that to get down to "super thin."

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat May 01, 2010 4:47 pm

I've found that in terms of romance I've always done the best when I'm not looking and not trying. Congrats on getting back on track.

You're right -- I don't agree with the food choices. I don't think those things are any better than any other processed food -- and I think they taste terrible. I'm also a single and cook for one every day. With only a few exceptions, I don't cook more than one serving of things. I can't eat too much because I didn't cook too much. Vegetables are the only thing I allow myself to have pretty much unlimited servings.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

BrightAngel

Re: A Much More Positive Update

Post by BrightAngel » Sat May 01, 2010 6:28 pm

RJLupin wrote:I've made a mode that some might not approve of,
but I feel I need in the active weight-loss stage:
I have replaced my meals with packaged meals.
My opinion is that you've made a wise choice in your present situation.

There have been many stages of my weight-loss and maintenance
where, for various reasons, my best choice was to eat pre-packaged food.
There are many people here on the forum who are into Nutritional issues,
and even those people don't all agree on what's "best" to eat.
I think it's important to remember that:
. . . .Weight-loss depends on the AMOUNT of food.
. . . .Nutrition is actually a different issue.

Personally, I'm neither "into" natural foods, or "against" processed foods,
and the majority of the time,
I choose to eat a wide variety of any food
which includes any food which appeals to my appetites
as long as that food's calories stay inside my personal (calorie) burn.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat May 01, 2010 7:59 pm

I am glad things are working well better for you. Channeling disappointment into positive action (instead of negative) sounds like a really important transition.

On the packaged meals... well, it's not what I would choose for a variety of reasons, but you have different reasons. ;) Glad that choice seems to be working for you now. If in the future you decide that you're sick of them and ready to try some home-cooking, be sure to ask for some support here - you'll certainly get it. For now, hope things continue to go well for you.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat May 01, 2010 8:10 pm

RJLupin wrote:I've made a mode that some might not approve of, but I feel I need in the active weight-loss stage: I have replaced my meals with packaged meals, usually those Healthy Choice Naturals or a can of soup high in protein.
Eh, if it works better for you, it does. Not everyone's hobby is cooking.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

RJLupin

Post by RJLupin » Sun May 02, 2010 3:30 pm

Thanks everyone! I actually LOVE to cook, and do it a lot. It's just that I live alone, and cooking the big portions most recipes make, to me, is too much of a temptation. Also I've got some health issues that cause me to be very tired a lot of the time, and I am not always feeling up to being in the kitchen. One of my "triggers" for making bad eating choices in the past has been lack of time/not having anything to eat handy. You know, you come home starving and just can't bear to wait an hour to cook something. In the past I would have gone for fast food, but now I just pop a microwave dinner in and butter some bread, and in 5 minutes I am good to go.

I definitely won't be using nothing but packaged food forever, just until I get pretty close to my weight goal. I have found some that taste pretty good, and I usually use the "Healthy Choice Naturals" line which have much less processed junk and fake stuff in their. It's working very well, I lost 3 pounds this last week. When I get to goal, I am just going to start doing what I did when I first started No S, which was cooking small amounts of pasta and soups and things.

Teemuh

Post by Teemuh » Mon May 03, 2010 1:37 am

Congrats, RJlupin. I think you found a forumla that works for you, and lets you establish the habit, and lose weight at a nice pace. Well done.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Mon May 03, 2010 2:03 am

RJLupin wrote:I've made a mode that some might not approve of, but I feel I need in the active weight-loss stage: I have replaced my meals with packaged meals, usually those Healthy Choice Naturals or a can of soup high in protein. Why? I don't have to worry about cooking...
I will drink a Slim-fast shake a couple of times a week if I'm in a hurry, or don't feel like doing a breakfast. If the pre-packaged meals are working for you, then enjoy them. I like the Healthy Choice beef tips amd mashed potatoes.

Good luck.

I also believe in Reinhard's book the statement (now paraphrased) "If you are overweight (obese?) you don't have any business worrying about anti-oxidents."

I agree
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79