Oprah, Dieting, May 12th, 4pm

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

bluebunny27

Oprah, Dieting, May 12th, 4pm

Post by bluebunny27 » Wed May 12, 2010 1:36 pm

Ok, I know there are OPRAH fans here and this afternoon she'll talk about dieting ... (And why she'll never diet again apparently !)

Check local listings. Here the show is on at 4pm on NBC, (E.S.T.)

More info here :

http://bit.ly/bmj4jG

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

38 Years Old, 5'10" Tall
Nov. 1st. 2008 : 280 Pounds
Nov. 1st. 2009 : 190 Pounds
(1 Year : - 90 Pounds)

Current Weight : 195 Pounds

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Wed May 12, 2010 2:11 pm

So is not dieting Oprah's latest diet? I'm skeptical. But it will be interesting to see what she says on the show. I just hope it doesn't involve intuitive eating.

Elspeth

Post by Elspeth » Wed May 12, 2010 2:23 pm

I believe the focus will be on Geneen Roth's new book. Haven't read it, but she advocates a kind of an intuitive eating approach along with determining and coping with the emotional causes of overeating.

I realize Intuitive Eating has worked for many, but it was a disaster for me. Still, I know Geneen has helped a lot of people, women especially, deal with body image issues so good on her.

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Wed May 12, 2010 2:33 pm

After starting No S, I've decided to sell my Roth books on Amazon. I'm done with carrying around a food bag.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed May 12, 2010 3:11 pm

She'll come round eventually. :-)

It's a natural progression:

Diet.
No Diet.
No S Diet.

Or in Hegelian terms:

Thesis.
Antithesis.
Synthesis.

Reinhard

Starla

Post by Starla » Wed May 12, 2010 4:54 pm

Elspeth wrote:I believe the focus will be on Geneen Roth's new book. Haven't read it, but she advocates a kind of an intuitive eating approach along with determining and coping with the emotional causes of overeating.

I realize Intuitive Eating has worked for many, but it was a disaster for me. Still, I know Geneen has helped a lot of people, women especially, deal with body image issues so good on her.
I still remember when I read "Breaking Free from Compulsive Eating." That book was a revelation to me, and hit home in a way no other book ever had. I then read "Feeding the Hungry Heart", but her books seemed to get a bit repetitive after that. I did not find that her way of eating was practical for my lifestyle, but I will always admire her insight into emotional eating and her bravery in writing about her own experiences.

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Wed May 12, 2010 11:39 pm

Here's a recap of the show. It seems like it was more touchy-feely stuff ("love yourself") rather than the proper way to eat. Geneen gives her guidelines here, but some are very nebulous things like "Eat when you're hungry" without explaining what hunger really is. Some of us are "hungry" all the time. Rules like that are just open to too much interpretation. Some of her rules are good though, like making eating a celebration and eating in public. But in my experience, her methods do not do anything to control the sweets bingeing. "Eat what you want and when you're hungry" can mean anything, and can literally mean it's fine if I eat chocolate morning noon and night. "Eat what your body asks for." Well my body is asking for chocolate. I get that when there are rules, people rebel and can cause more problems, but people also thrive off of structure, which her program lacks. There's too much emotion and not enough practicality.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu May 13, 2010 12:38 pm

Apparently what she does works for some people. I don't mean to imply that working on emotional issues isn't a good thing. But I'm always reminded of a friend of mine who spent quite a bit of time (and money!) in therapy so he could figure out why he did what he did and then quit doing it. It always seemed to me that the most effective thing would be to quit doing it and worry about the "why?" later. Same results.

I think No-S works well in that respect. You change the behavior and I think many people have then realized the "why?".
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

bluebunny27

feelin' it

Post by bluebunny27 » Fri May 14, 2010 8:58 pm

Leafy: "Here's a recap of the show. It seems like it was more touchy-feely stuff ("love yourself") rather than the proper way to eat."

******* I agree Leafy, I watched it the other day. I was expecting some solid advice, how to lose weight, maintain, diet and exercise ... I guess I am too DOWN TO EARTH. It was more philosophical stuff (I don't connect with that too much, you want to lose weight, stop thinking about this and that, just work out and diet, that's it that's all ... geesh !) When it gets too psychological it all seems like a lot of wishful thinking ... without actually doing a whole lot to improve the situation, etc.

That whole bit about the 2 ladies (cousins ?) One was jealous of the other for losing weight and then when she got fat again she was her friend ... oh man, I was rolling my eyes back so fast I got dizzy. Now they are both quite fat, but at least they are friends, good for 'em.

Anyway Oprah said there would be a follow up show in 6 months I believe ?? I don't think I'll be watching that one, sorry. ;-)

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

38 Years Old, 5'10" Tall
Nov. 1st. 2008 : 280 Pounds
Nov. 1st. 2009 : 190 Pounds
(1 Year : - 90 Pounds)

Current Weight : 194 Pounds