Jillian's new show : It stinks !!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

bluebunny27

Jillian's new show : It stinks !!

Post by bluebunny27 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:16 am

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/1kceqj

Jillian Michael's show on nbc tonight, tuesday. Barely watchable ! This show is just like the biggest loser, only slightly better because you dont have the part where people are voted off... i am not sure if i'll watch another episode actually.

my main problem with jillian is the way she trains those super fat people. she's not even training 'em properly. i'm surprised nobody dropped dead already. their hear rates are clearly in the 170's-180's and she's still harping on 'em to do push ups and whatnot with barely 10 second of resting time ... she should have her license revoked as a personal trainer for using methods like that. Those are not olympians but people who have not worked out in years.

nobody that size can train that way for more than 2 minutes which leads to countless scenes of people trying hard to do the work outs, giving up, getting yelled at constantly. they would never train like that in a million years on their own nor should they... and then they go home and eat thousands of calories.... bravo !

barely any nutritional advice in the show too, so ridiculous ... the nutrition is 70-80% of any dieter's success or failure and it's not even mentioned except for 2 minutes in that grocery store where you barely learn anything except : Fruits are good... duh !

it was wrong in so many places i just had to rant a bit.
That's it, I'm done with this show on 2nd thoughts, it's just wrong wrong wrong.

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

38 Years Old, 5'10" Tall
Nov. 1st. 2008 : 280 Pounds
Nov. 1st. 2009 : 190 Pounds
(1 Year : - 90 Pounds)

Current Weight : 194 Pounds

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:40 am

i cant stand her, she seems like a mega bitch on steroids :)
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

paulawylma

didn't watch

Post by paulawylma » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:35 am

Actually I like Jillian but I can't explain why. I watched only a few minutes of the show and decided I'd rather read or watch reruns of Criminal Minds. I'm guessing that, like on the ranch, the health of the participants are monitored off camera. Otherwise, no producer would touch the show--they have to be insured against lawsuits. :-)

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:43 am

Hmmmm. I meant to watch that show, but was watching The Two Towers with my husband instead, then fell asleep!
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

RJLupin

Post by RJLupin » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:58 am

I agree, she's horrible. Obviously the only focus is for people to lose weight as fast as possible; not to help them keep it off. Nobody is going to work out for 4 hours a day on their own, and nobody should EVER be pushing themselves as hard as she's pushing them. One day, someone will die on a show like that from too aggressive an exercise program.

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:02 pm

I personally don't care for her either, but DRAMA is what sells on TV, unfortunately...
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:49 pm

I love finding out that there is some TV I won't want to watch. I have always thought that she is the worst part of Biggest Loser, but I guess I march to my own drummer, if her popularity is any indication.

Caloric restriction is definitely key in weight loss, but nobody that has won the Biggest Loser has won simply because of cutting calories. They had to work out plenty to get those changes. I don't advocate the fast changes at all, but contrary to what we may want to believe, a lot of the winners actually do keep a lot of the weight off. (The media makes a lot of the exceptions.) I'd say a 20 lb. weight gain after having lost 100 is decent maintenance, though to my mind it would have been better to have stopped at 80 lbs. off and maintained right there.

That being said, No S is still my basic plan of choice for lifetime eating. I want to lose more weight so I'm working on S day mods and more exercise. Wouldn't make great TV, but does make for a nice life!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:59 pm

Glad to see people are agreeing ! :-)

Yeah, watching the show with Jillian really put me in a foul mood last night. I was expecting a good show, not as extreme as THE BIGGEST LOSER, with real people in day to day situations, exercising properly, eating well, advice, etc.

Instead it was more of the same TBL rubbish that I dislike.
Sorry if I pick on a show some people enjoy watching ! ;-) I just hate the basic concept of TBL, making it a contest between people, voting contestants off, tempting players with bad food, embarrassing competitions, I could go on and on listing what I don't like about that show, :-)

The Jillian show is way too extreme with all the yelling and getting people who are fat to do all those exercises without hardly any break ... It's silly when you have a big fellow who has just finished exercising hard for a minute straight, with his heart rate in the 170's or even more and then you yell in anger for him to start doing another exercise right away with a 10 second break ? You know he's not gonna make it and then Jillian walks out sayin' they aren't motivated to change their lifestyle, bla-bla ... this looked so staged, geesh. They looked motivated to ME at least. ;-)

I suppose they do that to make it more 'exciting' for the viewers, with all the drama, the yelling, the tears, the threats to walk out on the family, the personal stuff about their son dying young ... to me it just seems stupid to train very overweight people that way and then hardly giving any nutritional advice when it's the most important part of any weight loss program.

It really looks like abuse to me .. not training. That guy last night on the treadmill, he was clearly giving his all, he was working so hard he was actually yelling to finish the last few seconds of his set ... but a big sedentary guy like that shouldn't have worked out that hard in the first place, what's the point of having him work out as hard as an Olympic athlete when you know he can't handle it for more than 2 minutes straight ?

If somebody did die on the show and the family sued everyone responsible maybe it would put a stop to shows like that and it would be good too, they put people at risk the way they do things now. Going to the extreme for the ratings and the drama. That's why in The biggest loser you always have people getting injured, being put in ambulances ... they can't handle that type of training and that's really not too surprising considering their weight and sedentary lifestyle. It's not healthy and reasonable to think big people would train long term that way, so I'm not surprised many of the past contestants are putting weight back on quickly after the show is over.

I am not sure if it was the commercials that tricked me but it lead me to believe it would be more down to earth with solid training and nutritional advice but it was more of the same 'Biggest Loser' type show that I loathe.

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

38 Years Old, 5'10" Tall

Current Weight : 195 Pounds

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:04 pm

Jillian reminds me of those people that died in the sweat lodge, or those kids that died at "boot camp." One day someone's going to drop dead from a heart attack, her show will be cancelled, and she will lose all credibility. Not only that, but she always looks like she smells something bad.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:28 pm

If you want to watch a show that's similar, but much better, that doesn't beat up its participants, check out "You Are What You Eat". You might have seen it already.

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:23 pm

I lost the little respect I had for jillian when I read she won't get pregnant because of the weight gain! She said she was a heavy child and doesn't want to go thre again. hello!! real life calling!! pick up, Jillian, pick up! :cry:
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:25 am

Grammy G wrote:I lost the little respect I had for jillian when I read she won't get pregnant because of the weight gain! She said she was a heavy child and doesn't want to go thre again. hello!! real life calling!! pick up, Jillian, pick up! :cry:
I read that there was a lot more to that interview than was published. And you know, at the end of the day, it's her choice, her decision. As long as she's not telling everyone not to get pregnant because of weight gain, we should respect her choice even if we don't agree with it.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Brent_Corkins

Post by Brent_Corkins » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:32 am

Well I really believe her heart is in the right place. But I do think she is going about it in the wrong way. It is defenitely not a life time solution to life time problems. Being a future personal trainer, I start school in august for a AAS in Personal Fitness Trainer. I hope to use the teach a man to fish approach in helping clients.

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:40 am

I have a hard time respecting Jillian, period. I do NOT like the way she treats the folks she is suppose to be "helping". i sure wouldn't her "helping' me!
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:43 am

Grammy G wrote:I have a hard time respecting Jillian, period. I do NOT like the way she treats the folks she is suppose to be "helping". i sure wouldn't her "helping' me!
I wouldn't either -- but that kind of motivation (?) does work for some people. I assume that the folks who want to be on Biggest Loser or her new show know how she works.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:57 am

Wow, I hadn't thought of that ... but it's true.

Some women would think about it, should they get pregnant and gain 50 pounds or more ???? It would be something to consider probably.

What if you have a child .. gain 60 pounds then lose it within a year or two and then ... get pregnant again, gain another 60 .. lose it - - again ... that would be so hard to handle. It could influence someone's decision to have another kid, if it's a planned thing, I mean ... It takes a lot of work to lose big numbers like that, it doesn' happen within a few weeks or even months ...
especially for women.

Anyway it's just something I hadn't really thought about before ... (since it doesn't 'concern' me ... doh !)

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

38 Years Old, 5'10" Tall

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:59 am

She comes off as very likable in this article about the show:

http://www.popeater.com/2010/05/30/jill ... h-jillian/

I'm not even going to comment on the gaining weight for pregnancy, losing, and gaining again for another baby thing ... That would open a whole new can of worms, so I'm not going there.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:34 pm

My personal Judgments re Jillian.

Compact, muscular, well-proportioned, shapely body.
Face has attractive, regular features, but becomes ugly when she snarls and sneers.
Lousy attitude, values, and personality.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:04 pm

bluebunny27 wrote:Wow, I hadn't thought of that ... but it's true.

Some women would think about it, should they get pregnant and gain 50 pounds or more ???? It would be something to consider probably.

What if you have a child .. gain 60 pounds then lose it within a year or two and then ... get pregnant again, gain another 60 .. lose it - - again ... that would be so hard to handle. It could influence someone's decision to have another kid, if it's a planned thing, I mean ... It takes a lot of work to lose big numbers like that, it doesn' happen within a few weeks or even months ...
especially for women.

Anyway it's just something I hadn't really thought about before ... (since it doesn't 'concern' me ... doh !)
I've been pregnant twice and gained less than 20 lbs each time -- all while eating like a horse. My metabolism apparently went into overdrive when I was pregnant. I ate constantly. I was a food vacuum! I will say, though, that while I did eat some junk, mostly I ate healthy food. I was also very active during both pregnancies. I don't remember how long it took me to lose the extra weight after the first, but with the second I left the hospital weighing less than I had when I got pregnant (had a Caesarian and some post-op complications which seriously affected my ability to eat).

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:23 pm

Not to get off topic, but what I WAS going to say is 60-70 lbs is way off base. I don't know of too many people who gain 60, though it happens. I've gained 17 so far at almost 27 weeks pregnant (ugh), so I think I'm going to gain about 25-30. Even that is a far cry from 60! And I already know I want to do this again in a few years, even after working hard to get back to a healthy weight after baby.

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:55 pm

Oh, it's always good when you have KNOWLEDGE ... thanks !
Yes, I was probably exaggerating a lil' bit, 50-70 pounds ... it was hard to guess, I would have thought the average weight gain would have been more than 20-30 pounds though, more between 30 and 40 ... so thanks for the precision.

It's still tough to lose those baby pounds although I just saw a program the other day where a personal trainer was pregnant and of course she was filming everything and then showing how to lose the extra weight later on.

It was GINA LOMBARDI from Fit Nation (I think that program was made in 2005 so it was not very recent, anyway the way she was training and eating well she probably was done with the weight loss within 3-4 months after the delivery. I don't remember how many pounds she put on, not sure if it was even mentioned in the show ... I guess for some people it's hard to give actual numbers.

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

38 Years Old, 5'10" Tall

ShannahR

Post by ShannahR » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:24 pm

I took alot of psychology classes as an undergraduate. Not to pass judgement, but when we were studying anorexia I remember a case study where the patient said she would never get pregnant because of the panic that much weight gain would cause her.

Just sayin'...
This version of myself is not permanent, tomorrow I will be different. --BEP

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:20 am

I saw part of the show tonight and thought -- how could a woman who is not a mother pass judgment on a single Mom who lost her husband? It was despicable how Jullian treated Deb. It does support my theory that fat people have a psychological problem of gullibility and overreliance on authority. Even the 12 year old daughter got upset about how the Mom was being treated.
Kathleen

dmarie710

Post by dmarie710 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:01 am

OK, I know I'm going to get flak (did I spell that right?), but I really like the show. I think Jillian has a lot to work with in a short amount of time and is trying to cut to the heart of the matter. I'm sure the editing makes sure they show her screaming alot, but the families all really seem to love her. Just sayin.
Denise
restart No S on 4/1 at 132#
goal is 120-123# doing vanilla NoS with Eat Stop Eat on Monday.

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:52 am

I agree with Denise. I kinda like the show as well. Do I agree with all of Jillian's methods? No. Would I want her as my own personal trainer and diet guru? No ... But then I'm not a "hit the gym" kind of person for exercise anyway. :wink: :lol:

The show last night -- the one with the single mom with the messy house and the 12 year old daughter who functioned as an adult -- reminded me a lot of the way my life looked as a preteen/teen. :roll: Deb, the mom, really needed helping hand, a wake up call and a kick in the butt. Jillian did seem to help with all of those things and the family did seem to love her even if they disliked her methods at times. *shrugs*
Restarted No S (3rd times a charm!) January 2010 at 145 lbs

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:45 pm

I need another cup of coffee!! I read this "Jillians new shoe.. it stinks!! I thought J. had come out with exercise shoes of some sort and they had an odor to them!! :roll: senior moment?/ dyslexia?/ senior dyslexia?? A need for J to whip me into shape??? :evil:
Peace Pilgrim

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:05 pm

Jillian, in my opinion, is an awful human being. It has nothing with wanting kids or not, she's just a bully they've put in front of a camera.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

bluebunny27

Post by bluebunny27 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:59 pm

I agree with the Dude, (Jeffrey Lebowski) and also Over 43. ;-)

Hey, it's all good if some people like the show. I don't agree with her methods and I don't think severely overweight people should train that way either. Constant yelling, making super fat people train like Olympians, it doesn't look too realistic, etc.

I'm sure people are motivated at first to lose weight but what happens later on when she is gone ? What's the point of losing a few pounds if you gain it all back and more within a couple of years - - or eve less. I say learn to lose weight more slowly, learn your new habits and then that's something you can apply your whole life, more effective.

That line about 'Jilian's new SHOE' stinking made me laugh,
heh ! Reminds me just yesterday someone sent me a message and I think the title was "Great potion !" but I read "Great
POSITION !", I thought it was something naughty so you can imagine my DISAPPOINTMENT !! Doh ! ;-)

Side note, doing well - - around 192 pounds these days. I should also post before and after pics here soon(er) or later ... since I had a few pictures taken yesterday.

Cheers !

Marc ;-)

38 Years Old, 5'10" Tall

Current Weight : 192 Pounds